2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

On 3/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, Broncofan said:

Yeah you can’t really justify another Day 2 pick on RB at this stage.   If Williams was in his last cheap year maybe.  RB is deep this year so we could easily get a complementary RB2 outside of the top 100 picks.   

If we didn’t have Javonte could easily make the argument.   But RB is so devalued it makes sense to wait until Day 3.  We have no long term 2nd RB so I do think we’ll draft a guy with a view to 2023 being the 2 guy.   Wouldn’t shock me if MG3 returns on a cheap 1 year deal if he doesn’t get a suitor in next week.    

As always, I preface this comment with, ‘George Paton is not Rick Spielman’. However, in Spielman’s 15 years as VP of personnel and GM, the Vikes took 7 RB’s in the 4th round or higher. Never in back to back years, but it’s clear that Paton’s mentor is a guy who highly values the position. Add in a coach who has led the NFL in rushing attempts in all 3 of his first seasons as OC with a new team, and I’d be pretty surprised if we went into the season with Mike Boone as our clear #2. But yeah, going with a free agent on a one-year is probably more likely, before hitting the position again in the 2023 draft.

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

As always, I preface this comment with, ‘George Paton is not Rick Spielman’. However, in Spielman’s 15 years as VP of personnel and GM, the Vikes took 7 RB’s in the 4th round or higher. Never in back to back years, but it’s clear that Paton’s mentor is a guy who highly values the position. Add in a coach who has led the NFL in rushing attempts in all 3 of his first seasons as OC with a new team, and I’d be pretty surprised if we went into the season with Mike Boone as our clear #2. But yeah, going with a free agent on a one-year is probably more likely, before hitting the position again in the 2023 draft.

Next season I could see higher draft capital on a RB for sure.  You touched on the key point - never in back to back years.    Anything’s possible if someone falls hard who shouldn’t.    But it would be surprising especially since the RB class has a fair amount of day 3 depth. 

It’s clear unless you get an elite RB talent the MIN model is to keep cycling through rookie level deals.  And even with Cook they like to have a cheap rookie deal RB handcuff.   Which is very smart resource wise.   I would be surprised if Paton invested a day 2 pick on RB this year because of the preference to stagger contracts to keep RB costs down (unless they get a Cook like talent).   I also think the desire to have 5-6 2023 picks factors into next year’s plans.   And why a Day 3 pick might still happen as a way to hedge bets if they don’t have a lot of 2023 ammo.  

Edited by Broncofan

Considering it’s Paton’s 2nd year who knows how much this will help narrow down prospects, but doing some digging these are the players I’ve found Denver has or will have private visits with.  Keep in mind teams only get 30 of these.

Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State-  4 year starter in a pass heavy scheme that had an unreal combine running 4.92 and having 7.25 3 cone at 6’6 315 pounds.

Tyler Smith, OT, Tulsa- Started at LT and I believe graded the highest in impact blocking by PFF.  Known for size/tenacity, but surprised at the combine with a 5.02 40 and 7.78 3 cone at 6’5 324.

Nick Grant, S, Virginia-  haven’t read much on.

Shermari Jones, RB, Coastal Carolina- haven’t read much on.

Grant Calcaterra, TE, SMU- haven’t read much on.

Cordale Flott, CB, LSU- haven’t read much on.

• Like 1

One guy that's been jumping out at me is Zyon McCollum, a CB out of Sam Williams. Good size at 6'2" and 199lbs, but the kid has 4.33 speed along with some good football IQ. Looks like he could be a Day 3 steal.

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, germ-x said:

Considering it’s Paton’s 2nd year who knows how much this will help narrow down prospects, but doing some digging these are the players I’ve found Denver has or will have private visits with.  Keep in mind teams only get 30 of these.

Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State-  4 year starter in a pass heavy scheme that had an unreal combine running 4.92 and having 7.25 3 cone at 6’6 315 pounds.

Tyler Smith, OT, Tulsa- Started at LT and I believe graded the highest in impact blocking by PFF.  Known for size/tenacity, but surprised at the combine with a 5.02 40 and 7.78 3 cone at 6’5 324.

Nick Grant, S, Virginia-  haven’t read much on.

Shermari Jones, RB, Coastal Carolina- haven’t read much on.

Grant Calcaterra, TE, SMU- haven’t read much on.

Cordale Flott, CB, LSU- haven’t read much on.

Out of interest, was last year’s list of top 30 visits predictive of who we ultimately drafted? 

Edited by paul-mac

This is exactly what I was looking at with CB Marcus Jones, will fill the slot and replace Spencer at the same time. I think we'd still another RCB ( **cough...Zyon McCollum...cough**) but could fill a lot of needs for quite a while for the next 8-10 years. IMO

https://milehighsports.com/marcus-jones-can-make-denvers-special-teams-fun-again-while-solidifying-cb-room/

So the Broncos are looking at multiple interior prospects, namely at Center. 

Cam Jurgens, Dylan Parham, and Cole Strange to name a few.  

I fully expect them to take a Center and trade Lloyd Cushenberry after the draft for 2023 day three pick.  

I also would expect to see some action on the defensive line.  There are plenty of bodies on the roster, but only DreMont and DJ are what I would call good players. 

1 hour ago, Winder23 said:

So the Broncos are looking at multiple interior prospects, namely at Center. 

That's great news! IMO that's maybe our greatest need, definitely on the offensive side. Opinions vary but I believe you need exceptional players at LT, Center and RG to have a successful OL. RT and LG you can fill with Journeyman as long as you've got the top 3 covered. With Bolles and Meinerz we've got two out of three.

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Cam Jurgens was built in a lab to play center in this offense. 9.34 RAS score so he fits the athletic profile Paton values. Would love that pick on Day 2.

I'll get back to ya. @Winder23just gave me some IOL names to look at. I'm having fun now!

• Like 1