2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

EDGE and RT are pretty deep for sure. If we don’t keep 1.9 I’d feel good about going EDGE and T on Day 2.  Very likely it would be justifiable as BPA overall imo.   

Keep in mind, most college RT's end up on the inside in the NFL. 

16 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Keep in mind, most college RT's end up on the inside in the NFL. 

We really need to draft someone who was a LT in college and play them at RT in the NFL. It’s such a passing league and many great pass rushers including TJ Watt tend to play on the open side these days, so I think the days of putting a run blocking hogmolly at RT are gone now. You need two bookends who are great pass blockers. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

We really need to draft someone who was a LT in college and play them at RT in the NFL. It’s such a passing league and many great pass rushers including TJ Watt tend to play on the open side these days, so I think the days of putting a run blocking hogmolly at RT are gone now. You need two bookends who are great pass blockers. 

Agreed. Part of the reason Evan Neal make me nervous. 6'7 350lbs and struggles to keep his weight down isn't reassuring despite how good of a college player he has been. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I really like the guys who have experience on both sides. RT is a different position, you’re doing everything backwards essentially. Having game reps on both sides, kicking off your slide step from either leg, is a great base when you want a guy to start as a rookie. I’m pretty sure Neal’s the only guy of the top 3 tackles that has experience on the right side.

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Agreed. Part of the reason Evan Neal make me nervous. 6'7 350lbs and struggles to keep his weight down isn't reassuring despite how good of a college player he has been. 

I get real nervous when guys get above 320. 

• Like 1

If we're going to take a RT high in this draft, give me Ickey Ekwonu from NCST. He's a mauler in the run game, so if worse comes to worse, I think he can get kicked inside, but he profiles (IMO) as an RT that can step in immediately. Especially with the RBs we have. Some of the other Top OLs I think are better suited inside. Neal, Lindebaum, Kenyon Green - I think they're all IOL guys.

I do sim mocks on PFF quite a bit, and I feel like it’s opened my eyes in a big way to the strategy needed when building a successful draft class. Unless you’ve got a true, no-way-I-can-pass-on-him-here guy, you have to look at your next pick(s) and try to figure out what’s gonna be available. For instance, I like George Karlaftis. When I sim, he’s often what I would consider BPA at 1.9. Then I pick him, and my next pick has a whole pile of edge players as best available choices. Would I have been better off taking Sauce Gardner (who I’m *really* interested in seeing run the shuttles) at 1.9, even though he wasn’t BPA? And what if I do take him, but a corner like Kyler Gordon slips to 2.9? There’s so much to think about, I think we don’t give teams enough credit when we see a pick and yell, ‘HAHA what a reach, you guys are idiots!’

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I do sim mocks on PFF quite a bit, and I feel like it’s opened my eyes in a big way to the strategy needed when building a successful draft class. Unless you’ve got a true, no-way-I-can-pass-on-him-here guy, you have to look at your next pick(s) and try to figure out what’s gonna be available. For instance, I like George Karlaftis. When I sim, he’s often what I would consider BPA at 1.9. Then I pick him, and my next pick has a whole pile of edge players as best available choices. Would I have been better off taking Sauce Gardner (who I’m *really* interested in seeing run the shuttles) at 1.9, even though he wasn’t BPA? And what if I do take him, but a corner like Kyler Gordon slips to 2.9? There’s so much to think about, I think we don’t give teams enough credit when we see a pick and yell, ‘HAHA what a reach, you guys are idiots!’

In general I agree with you. But there are the Clelin ferrells and Damon Arnette’s of the world who were drafted not only a round or so too soon but ahead of better players at the same position and in relatively deep drafts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

In general I agree with you. But there are the Clelin ferrells and Damon Arnette’s of the world who were drafted not only a round or so too soon but ahead of better players at the same position and in relatively deep drafts.

Those picks were so bad it's comical lol.

42 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

19 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

It also reinforces the pt that overall BPA works when there’s a significant gap in talent.    For example Derwin James or Vita Vea still at their draft spot.   You take those guys and worry about the rest later.  

If there are 2 guys 1-2 pts apart on the 100 scale that’s not really a gap.  Then you take things like need and draft positional depth in account.   On the flip side going for need with a guy 6-7 pts lower is a bad move.  Arnette & Sly Williams are good examples of this.   

The other part - most years  somewhere in Rd1 there’s a drop off in level of talent.   Then somewhere late Rd1 / early 2 another level.   Then again in Rd3-4.   In some years you see thinner / deeper classes that move the thresholds.  And the deepest positional groups might have a different threshold where the dropoff occurs.  But you get the idea.    BPA arguments are less important as you cross into these diff levels.  

We get the BPA vs. need vs. draft depth discussions each year - but BPA principle seldom extends beyond our Rd1-2 picks, and not always given the guys available or the spot we’re at.    

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Those picks were so bad it's comical lol.

I mean no one is a certainty but Ferrell was projected in the teens and the Raiders had a pick in that range.   Going at 4 was insane.  The “gotta have him” phenomenon.   Gruden was an org-changing hire for LV (he was confirmed by Mark Davis as having final say). 

Edited by Broncofan

15 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

No question, there are still really bad decisions being made. 

Assuming we end up trading for a starting QB, I think most of our picks will end up being on defense.

The other skill positions are pretty set. I wouldn’t be totally opposed to a mid round RB to replace Gordon but I kind of expect Mike Boone to step up and be the primary backup to Javonte Williams. 

Other than that it’s just RT, but my money is on us running it back with Bobby Massie and Anderson.

On the defensive side we have massive needs in the front 7. Bradley Chubb is our only viable pass rusher at the moment. Malik Reed might be back, but he’s a rotational third guy. We desperately need a starting edge rusher. Our interior DL isn’t particularly good either, we need reinforcements there. We are also pretty thin at LB with a lot of outgoing FAs.

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Assuming we end up trading for a starting QB, I think most of our picks will end up being on defense.

The other skill positions are pretty set. I wouldn’t be totally opposed to a mid round RB to replace Gordon but I kind of expect Mike Boone to step up and be the primary backup to Javonte Williams. 

Other than that it’s just RT, but my money is on us running it back with Bobby Massie and Anderson.

On the defensive side we have massive needs in the front 7. Bradley Chubb is our only viable pass rusher at the moment. Malik Reed might be back, but he’s a rotational third guy. We desperately need a starting edge rusher. Our interior DL isn’t particularly good either, we need reinforcements there. We are also pretty thin at LB with a lot of outgoing FAs.

I’d back dipping into the T class to get a developmental guy.  In case Anderson doesn’t pan out.  Doesn’t have to be higher than Rd3.   Agree RB would have to be late.  Otherwise it’s likely going to be D.