Jump to content

2022 College Prospect Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, medisback said:

I'm not usually a fan of drafting a punter but... 

Matt Araiza from San Diego St... Kicks a mile and loves to hit!

 

Worth one of our 7th round picks?

Oh yeah. But he’s going early Day 3 imo. Best punter in CFB history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Oh yeah. But he’s going early Day 3 imo. Best punter in CFB history.

Agreed. As much as I would love to have him as he seems to be amazing, the opportunity cost of spending a 3rd rounder on him rather than someone of a more valuable position is too much. If we could get him in the 5th, I'd be willing to do that but he'll go much higher than that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Agreed. As much as I would love to have him as he seems to be amazing, the opportunity cost of spending a 3rd rounder on him rather than someone of a more valuable position is too much. If we could get him in the 5th, I'd be willing to do that but he'll go much higher than that. 

If we could trade into the back end of the third round (down or up) I’d spend a third on him. If he can continue to do that (and I don’t see why not) his impact on a per game basis would be more than any other pick at that point. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

If we could trade into the back end of the third round (down or up) I’d spend a third on him. If he can continue to do that (and I don’t see why not) his impact on a per game basis would be more than any other pick at that point. 

At a third round cost I disagree. There are still way too many quality prospects at that point that drop off much more suddenly at any other position. I could maybe be convinced about the end of the 4th but nothing higher than that. There are so many quality punters that can be had for basically nothing. This year for example, top 5 punters based on average were AJ Cole (undrafted) Jack Fox (undrafted) Andy Lee (6th round) Bryan Anger (3rd Round) and Tress Way (undrafted). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d do it in the late 3rd, especially if we’re holding on to all our other picks (which would mean we didn’t land the big fish at QB and will have a greater need for a punting advantage). It’s not a guarantee of NFL success but he’s the best punter I’ve ever seen in CFB. That cannon of a leg at altitude…oh man.

Edited by BroncoBruin
Link to post
Share on other sites

A punter is never a guy you want to put on the field. Spending a higher draft pick on one, which prevents upgrading your roster elsewhere, makes it more likely that you’ll need to use your punter more. In a way, it’s the law of diminishing returns: the more you invest in a punter, the less you’ll get out of the productive part of your roster. 
 

I know you need a punter, but I don’t think I’d ever invest anything more than a roster spot and approximately the league minimum for a guy you only use to give the ball to the other team.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Denver’s averaged 74 punts per season over the last 4 years and has been among the league’s worst in field position during that stretch. If we don’t land Rodgers or Wilson this off-season, don’t expect that trend to end anytime soon. Just my opinion, but I’d spend a 3rd round pick on Araiza in a heartbeat. 

Edited by 1234567
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Denver’s averaged 74 punts per season over the last 4 years and has been among the league’s worst in field position during that stretch. If we don’t land Rodgers or Wilson this off-season, don’t expect that trend to end anytime soon. Just my opinion, but I’d spend a 3rd round pick on Araiza in a heartbeat. 

We’ve been one of the worst in field position because our offence has been putrid and hasn’t been able to move the ball. Using a 3rd rounder on a punter is solving the wrong problem. Get more first downs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

We’ve been one of the worst in field position because our offence has been putrid and hasn’t been able to move the ball. Using a 3rd rounder on a punter is solving the wrong problem. Get more first downs. 

Totally agree; what I’m saying is that if we don’t land Rodgers or Wilson this off-season, our offense is going to suck next year too, whether we like it or not. So if that be the case, then we may as well draft someone who can single handedly flip the field for us, cause we’re gonna need it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

We’ve been one of the worst in field position because our offence has been putrid and hasn’t been able to move the ball. Using a 3rd rounder on a punter is solving the wrong problem. Get more first downs. 

I get your point.  I don’t know that I would spend a 3rd on a punter no matter how good he is.  Though I don’t view the position as only signing players to vet minimums.  Having a quality punter can be advantageous, even with a good offense.  I don’t remember what year it was, but Colquitt had a year in Denver where you could argue he was MVP.  

To argue against your point in Denver’s current situation a late 3rd round probably, at least year one wouldn’t have much of an impact in really moving the 1st down needle unless it is being used to acquire a QB.  Denver’s offense is actually pretty loaded with talent.  Any draft pick on the offensive side of the ball in the late 3rd round would likely be a 2nd or 3rd string player whose impact would come on special teams, like a punters.

Denver will get more 1st downs when they get a QB, that’s the answer.  Until then they will continue wasting a very talented offense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, germ-x said:

I get your point.  I don’t know that I would spend a 3rd on a punter no matter how good he is.  Though I don’t view the position as only signing players to vet minimums.  Having a quality punter can be advantageous, even with a good offense.  I don’t remember what year it was, but Colquitt had a year in Denver where you could argue he was MVP.  

To argue against your point in Denver’s current situation a late 3rd round probably, at least year one wouldn’t have much of an impact in really moving the 1st down needle unless it is being used to acquire a QB.  Denver’s offense is actually pretty loaded with talent.  Any draft pick on the offensive side of the ball in the late 3rd round would likely be a 2nd or 3rd string player whose impact would come on special teams, like a punters.

Denver will get more 1st downs when they get a QB, that’s the answer.  Until then they will continue wasting a very talented offense.

I think when you step back and look at it in terms of bang for your buck, it makes a lot more sense. Our offense hasn’t been dangerous since 2014. The likelihood of drafting a player in third round that can reverse seven years worth of that is probably pretty low because we still don’t have our answer at QB. However, using that pick on a player who can single handedly force the other team to start inside their own 20 on every single drive? Against our defense? When I look at some of these close losses this year and the points that were scored off of bad field position.. If this kid was on our roster this season, we win 2-3 of those games and would be playing this weekend. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what defensive scheme we will end up running but a guy to watch with a lot of versatility is Travon Walker DL from UGA. Not sure if he has been mentioned but he’s a strong freak and is going to rise significantly. Kids arms look like they are 35” vines and he has powerful hands and some of the highest effort in the class. Go Dawgs!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Not sure what defensive scheme we will end up running but a guy to watch with a lot of versatility is Travon Walker DL from UGA. Not sure if he has been mentioned but he’s a strong freak and is going to rise significantly. Kids arms look like they are 35” vines and he has powerful hands and some of the highest effort in the class. Go Dawgs!

Pretty sure the Georgia DL wouldn’t have been the worst one in the NFL this season. Gads of talent there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, germ-x said:

To argue against your point in Denver’s current situation a late 3rd round probably, at least year one wouldn’t have much of an impact in really moving the 1st down needle unless it is being used to acquire a QB.  Denver’s offense is actually pretty loaded with talent.  Any draft pick on the offensive side of the ball in the late 3rd round would likely be a 2nd or 3rd string player whose impact would come on special teams, like a punters.

Denver will get more 1st downs when they get a QB, that’s the answer.  Until then they will continue wasting a very talented offense.

Over the last few years, we’ve seen guys like Mark Andrews, Maxx Crosby, CJ Gardner Johnson, Trey Hendrickson, Josey Jewell, Chris Godwin, Eddie Jackson, Shaq Griffin, James Conner, Kenny Golladay, etc etc go in the late 3rd or early 4th. There’s no way I’m giving up a chance at a guy like that for a punter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...