2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

Anyone believes in what JD said about being aggressive?   I, for one, don't.

Well, maybe on defensive side.   SLB, CB, S and either DL spot.  That is a lot to address.  Draft alone won't solve that.

As for offensive side, I don't mind Jets overpaying one on either James Daniels or Austin Corbett to mainstay at RG. I don't care what PFF said.

26 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Well, maybe on defensive side.   SLB, CB, S and either DL spot.  That is a lot to address.  Draft alone won't solve that.

As for offensive side, I don't mind Jets overpaying one on either James Daniels or Austin Corbett to mainstay at RG. I don't care what PFF said.

If the Jets can come of FA with a starting RG and a starting EDGE (Reddick?, Clowney?), JD will have a lot more flexibility at the top of the draft.

50 minutes ago, xrade said:

If the Jets can come of FA with a starting RG and a starting EDGE (Reddick?, Clowney?), JD will have a lot more flexibility at the top of the draft.

We need that flexibility with all of our holes too. Fortunately our needs line up almost perfectly with the stronger positions in this class. 

If you take away from what JD said. Which to date we have no reason to think he's just blowing smoke...

The LOS will continue to be a focus. What do I take from that? OLine is very much in the mix for our early picks as well as DE.

Maye is done as a Jet. If we were even thinking of keeping him around, JD would've talked more about trying to keep him around. He's gone, which isn't a surprise to most of us.

We will be aggressive in FA and in trades. I for one believe this. I have a feeling 1 of those 2nd rounders will be traded for an established highly talented player. My guess would be at WR, TE or DE.

3rd offseason for JD is huge. After 3 full off-season's it's hard to keep saying it's a process and all when you've had a hand in nearly the whole roster at that point. He's had money every FA period and valuable picks as well. He knows it's time to start winning. So I do think he's more aggressive in this 3rd year. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Joe will be about as aggressive as he was last year.

Davis, Lawson, trade up for AVT.

Im expecting moves similar to those 

We have all witnessed that regardless of the money spent, it can go south in an instant.

That being said, is JD willing to break the bank on one defensive player considering Q is going to get a massive contract? Fotukasi is all but assured of being a cap casualty especially if they go into F.A. willy nilly on where they spend.

JD's track record shows he will pay for players he perceives on the rise and potentially hitting the peak of their talent. 

That being said, here is a list of players who are young, available, and which FA should give the Jets a shot and in no particular order. Reddick OLB, Landry LB Titans, B.J. Hill DT Bengals, as well as Larry Ogunjobi DT Bengals, Quinton Jefferson DT LV, Diggs S Seattle, Arden Key DE S.F., Connor Williams G Dallas Cowboys.

Other than this, I think the Jets can get a WR in round 1 and a TE in 4-5.

52 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Joe will be about as aggressive as he was last year.

Davis, Lawson, trade up for AVT.

Im expecting moves similar to those 

Me too..  Ascending players not big time or flashiest players.

If qb option improves after the combine, I may expect Jets to trade a mid round pick for experienced player and then trade down from top 5 or 10 to get mid round pick or couple back.  Something like that.

53 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Best thing Joe said was making sure guys stay healthy, I see a huge investment into our training staff and maintaining health. 

Jets did that last off season. Jets made no difference there. I guess Jets will have to make improvement at certain area or do over.

I feel like a good philosophy is to use free agency for immediate needs and the draft for both immediate needs and future needs. This isn't to say use the draft for BPA, that has killed us more often than not but with guys approaching their 30s and contracts expiring it is always good to have prospects ready to step in each year should you cut a guy in camp or lose a guy to injury. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I feel like a good philosophy is to use free agency for immediate needs and the draft for both immediate needs and future needs. This isn't to say use the draft for BPA, that has killed us more often than not but with guys approaching their 30s and contracts expiring it is always good to have prospects ready to step in each year should you cut a guy in camp or lose a guy to injury. 

If you look at our personnel… it’s not a talent issue in the DL. So while I think we do somehow get a good DE… getting Lawson back with Q and Rankins in the middle and JFM rotating in isn’t bad if there’s another good DE. It was more the LB and S play that hurt us. So we need to address that more so than DL