2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

His issue seems to be how he’s used. Maybe he wants to play in a different role or different system. 

How can he not like being a guy that was used for 136 touches for 1,770yds and 15tds? Good luck getting that many touches and being that productive in most systems.

No way it's a system thing for him IMO. If it is, he's an idiot for wanting to go to a different system.

I think for whatever reason he just wants a change. Maybe he doesn't like having no stability at QB. Remember SF is still rumored to possibly trade Jimmy G and roll with Lance. Maybe he doesn't like the uncertainty of who his QB will be this next year and beyond.

He also might not like that they lost a TON of the offensive staff this offseason.

They lost their OC in McDaniel, WR coach in Welker, QB coach Scangarello and TE coach Embree. Now Deebo really only works with McDaniel and Welker, so the others don't really matter. But that very well might be a big reason he doesn't want to stay. The uncertainty of the new staff using him the way McDaniel did. I think he actually loved the way he was used and wants to make sure he's used in a similar way if anything. Can JD, Saleh and LaFleur convince him of that? Probably them and GB are the only ones that can really be convincing in that (not including MIA bc they don't need a WR or pay him for that matter).

Now JD doesn't lose trades so it will come down to price. Pretty confident in saying he wont part with 4 or 10. SF let's not forget is a team starving for draft capital. They've moved around a bunch so they actually have no picks until the 61st pick this year. and even after that they only have picks 93, 105 and 134 in the top 150. They sure could use quantity with 4 picks in the 6th and 7th round more than likely not helping them much.

Give up 35 and 111 and a 2023 conditional 3rd or something for him. That puts his value around around the 24th pick for him.

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

How can he not like being a guy that was used for 136 touches for 1,770yds and 15tds? Good luck getting that many touches and being that productive in most systems.

No way it's a system thing for him IMO. If it is, he's an idiot for wanting to go to a different system.

I think for whatever reason he just wants a change. Maybe he doesn't like having no stability at QB. Remember SF is still rumored to possibly trade Jimmy G and roll with Lance. Maybe he doesn't like the uncertainty of who his QB will be this next year and beyond.

He also might not like that they lost a TON of the offensive staff this offseason.

They lost their OC in McDaniel, WR coach in Welker, QB coach Scangarello and TE coach Embree. Now Deebo really only works with McDaniel and Welker, so the others don't really matter. But that very well might be a big reason he doesn't want to stay. The uncertainty of the new staff using him the way McDaniel did. I think he actually loved the way he was used and wants to make sure he's used in a similar way if anything. Can JD, Saleh and LaFleur convince him of that? Probably them and GB are the only ones that can really be convincing in that (not including MIA bc they don't need a WR or pay him for that matter).

Now JD doesn't lose trades so it will come down to price. Pretty confident in saying he wont part with 4 or 10. SF let's not forget is a team starving for draft capital. They've moved around a bunch so they actually have no picks until the 61st pick this year. and even after that they only have picks 93, 105 and 134 in the top 150. They sure could use quantity with 4 picks in the 6th and 7th round more than likely not helping them much.

Give up 35 and 111 and a 2023 conditional 3rd or something for him. That puts his value around around the 24th pick for him.

He has concerns about playing the hybrid role over the wear and tear of being the WR1 and RB duties, specifically the RB duties. It’s interesting cause they didn’t really start using him in the RB role until week 11

51 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m just saying what the issue seems to be. He just wants to play WR, he doesn’t wanna play RB anymore.

So the guy wants to be paid for the production he had JUST last year, but he doesn't wanna touch the ball as many times as he did to get there...and wants 25 million. jets fans pounding the table offering multiple picks or offering the 10th pick are literally insane. draft your own guy and keep filling out the roster. 

• Like 2

Going to be interesting to see our approach to our WR situation. If we trade multiple picks for Deebo or Brown, then we know the timetable to win has been accelerated. If we stand pat and draft Williams, who might not be on the field week 1, then we’re playing the long game. 

Personally, I’m still in favor of building through the draft and supplementing with FAs. I’m not sure how much of an impact a 25 million dollar WR would even have on this team. I understand that we need weapons for Zach, but the cupboard isn’t exactly empty. We have some weapons. Adding a first round WR might be enough, if it’s the right guy. 

Edited by JohnnyHectorFan

20 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

So the guy wants to be paid for the production he had JUST last year, but he doesn't wanna touch the ball as many times as he did to get there...and wants 25 million. jets fans pounding the table offering multiple picks or offering the 10th pick are literally insane. draft your own guy and keep filling out the roster. 

In fairness, the change in how he was used actually decreased his production. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, the change in how he was used actually decreased his production. 

Would you assume it’s the versatility that makes him so valuable to an offense? I’m not sure I find Deebo who just splits out wide as valuable as a guy I can move around and find creative ways to get the ball to.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Would you assume it’s the versatility that makes him so valuable to an offense? I’m not sure I find Deebo who just splits out wide as valuable as a guy I can move around and find creative ways to get the ball to.

His worth comes from what he does with the ball in his hands, yes, but it doesn't require a special scheme. He's just a terror with the ball in his hands. There's nothing special about a 9 yard slant or bubble screen than he ends up housing. All teams run that. He had an average depth of target of 8.5 yards last season. It was basically the same as Cooper Kupp's, Diontae Johnson's, etc. He's a really good receiver...he just does it differently because he relies more on what he does after the catch. He's not going to get as vertical as some of these guys, but he's just as good about getting open underneath. 

The question should be about whether or not that style of play is actually sustainable. I personally believe that is a biiiiiiiiiig question because I have my doubts. 

• Like 1

To say offering the 10th pick in the draft or for that matter 2 number 2's and a third rounder for Deebo is not worth it is crazy. 

The guy averages 18 ypc and had 1800 yards last year including 1400 receiving. The guy is the most lethal offensive weapon in all of football.

I would give up the 10th pick, its a no brainer. We were going to give 2 2's and a 3rd rounder for Hill.

But I believe the Jets are correct that S.F. really doesn't want to trade him and if they want to they can franchise him after this year and have his services the next 2 years possibly 3.

But the other scenario which could play out is one which Seattle panic's knowing that they will lose out on potential draft choices perhaps number 10 for D.K.

I believe the Jets could have D.K for a whole lot less. Then again Deebo may turn down a trade to the Jets because regardless of who he is traded to "he's getting paid".

If we could come out of this year with Deebo and Sauce or JJ or Thibs you have to believe the Jets hit a home run.

And still have their 2nd's or 2-4's, and 2-5's and a 6th. The Jets could draft back  and recoup some of the picks. But the Jets with Deebo would instantly be legit offensively.

There will be receivers drafted in round one and two this year that by the time they are a year away from getting a big deal we will be hearing all the trade chatter about them. 

Why not cut the bull**** out and just draft our own guy?! Could get us a  Williams, Wilson, London in the first (whatever your preference) or maybe trade up from 35 for a Olave or Burks

Then in the second round there’s guys like Pickens, Dotson and Watson who could all be studs. 

Im all for acquiring Deebo, AJ or DK if the deals right but this assumption that we are going to cave and pay ridiculous amounts in cash and draft picks seems the complete opposite of JD’s blueprint since becoming GM.  

Edited by KimuraGod

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I’m just saying what the issue seems to be. He just wants to play WR, he doesn’t wanna play RB anymore.

Does he not want to get snaps at RB anymore? Or did SF try and not give him full WR $$$ bc they say they use him as a RB too and not give him top WR $$$? That’s the question.

I mean let’s be real. He had 59 Carries last year. Over 17 games that’s 3.5 car/gm. That’s hardly a huge work load at RB. And 1/2 that work was on end around that he’d still get if he was a WR. So now you’re down to just not giving him 2 carries a game as an actual RB. I feel like that’s not why he wants to leave.

My guess is everything I said… change in OC, WR coach. Uncertainty at QB. And SF not offering him top WR dollar bc they say he gets RB work.

Seems like SF is saying they’re not trading him unless they get a crazy haul. So I believe you can count us out on him regardless now.

27 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Just draft KT at #4 please JD. Don’t think any moves we’ve made can make us feel good about DE unless we draft a stud at #4.  

He’s right there with Coleman as a couple of my least favorite Jets right now.