2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

59 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I saw this on the net. What do you guys think? I like this trade but not a fan of the first round pick next year. if we got away with a second round pick this year or second next year I probably would do this trade. Like I said before I'm not really a Wilson fan. 

The Cardinals would send the Jets Murray and their 2023 fourth-round selection in exchange for the 10th overall pick in this draft, quarterback Zach Wilson, the Jets’ third-round pick this year (No. 69) and the Jets’ 2023 first-round selection.

I want to dislike Murray as a QB but I can't find too many on-field faults.  My issue with this proposal is the draft capital and the $ we would need to pay him.  I also have an issue with his attitude regarding his contract.  I have no issue with players wanting to get paid, but there is a better way to handle it unlike Murray's whiney antics.  If it was a straight up 2022 #10 and a 2023 day two or three pick, maybe.  But that contract we would have to hand out erases two FRP's.

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We don't and the 1 player that we are developing in Bryce Hall people want to draft Sauce to bench Hall.

I guess I'm confused. We had one of the worse DB in the NFL but you don't want to upgrade the CB. You know Hall is nothing special and at his peak is probably a top 30 CB. These CB are not that good. Gardner would come in and be the #1 CB by seasons end. I know we signed Reed ( I think was a mistake for the price) would be #2 CB. The AFC east now has Hill, Diggs, Waddle, and you want to have Hall or Reed cover these guys. Oh boy you thought last years D was bad. You have to come out with Stingley or Gardner. CB is the up and coming position in my mind to cover the pass happy D. You want to be ahead of the curve. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

His versatility is what will make him valuable though. Considering the price you may have to pay and how him being moved around essentially saved the 49ers last year. 

At the same time I understand his stance on it.

I’d prefer we stay the course and continue to draft and develop, find our own Deebo and Reek.

sure - but when has this team had a WR that has put up those numbers?  they have Berrios and Moore that can do these RB type plays.  if deebo doesn't want to, i'm fine with just having him run routes, catching 1400 yds and 6 TDs.

2 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I guess I'm confused. We had one of the worse DB in the NFL but you don't want to upgrade the CB. You know Hall is nothing special and at his peak is probably a top 30 CB. These CB are not that good. Gardner would come in and be the #1 CB by seasons end. I know we signed Reed ( I think was a mistake for the price) would be #2 CB. The AFC east now has Hill, Diggs, Waddle, and you want to have Hall or Reed cover these guys. Oh boy you thought last years D was bad. You have to come out with Stingley or Gardner. CB is the up and coming position in my mind to cover the pass happy D. You want to be ahead of the curve. 

Our staff has shown that they value experience. They signed Reed to be a CB1 and quite frankly that's what he is. And his tape shows that. There's next to no chance that Sauce passes Reed as our CB1. Reed is also an outside CB, can't and SHOULDN"T be moved inside. Hall I can agree isn't a #1 CB. But he's developing. Maybe he can be in a year or 2. But now that we signed Reed, he doesn't have to be. These 2 are both very young as well. Hall cant and SHOULDNT play the slot either. That's 2 very talented young CBs on the outside for us. So 1 of them is getting benched? Why? Bc we "hope" Sauce can beat out a developing talented young CB in Hall? Sauce 100% can't play the slot as well. So it's not like he's a guy you can move inside as a rookie to get him snaps and if he shows well there he earns an outside spot. Never mind that we have 2 good young slot CBs in MC2 and Guidry.

Drafting Sauce is a complete waste of draft assets. CB is arguably our best position on this roster actually when you take talent, age and depth into consideration. So we'd be using the 4th pick on our best area? That's awful drafting. That's why we're in the situation we've been in for a decade. Bc we kept drafting DTs when we had ones already and wasting draft assets.

I will say Sauce's talent is great. It's just that we don't need him. And to go a step further... our defense was so poor last year not bc of the CB play. It was pretty much everywhere else that was bad. CBs are pretty much only as good as the pass rush. No CB no matter how talented they are can cover a WR for a long time. The pass rush has to be there for a CB to even be able to have a chance. We also had very poor S play. CBs play off of this as well. We have a whole new S group now. So our starting secondary compared to last year is actually already totally different. Reed as CB1, Whitehead at S and Joyner (as of now) at S. Hall is the only returning every down starter for our secondary. Whos is talented developing young CB. We also get Lawson back and we have to imagine we use one of our top 4 picks on a DE to help the pass rush. The D is already better than last year.

Your talking like we sat and did nothing in FA to help. Getting Lawson back is HUGE, we signed a top CB and got a very good S. That's huge moves. And we still have the draft.

CB also isn't an elite position in the NFL anymore. And elite picks shouldn't be used on non elite positions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

sure - but when has this team had a WR that has put up those numbers?  they have Berrios and Moore that can do these RB type plays.  if deebo doesn't want to, i'm fine with just having him run routes, catching 1400 yds and 6 TDs.

Brandon Marshall and he only cost us a 7th rounder when he was 29.

1500yds and 14tds his 1st year with us.

Deebo wont get to 14tds never taking RB snaps and I'm confident in saying he wont get to 1500yds ever as well as just a WR.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I saw this on the net. What do you guys think? I like this trade but not a fan of the first round pick next year. if we got away with a second round pick this year or second next year I probably would do this trade. Like I said before I'm not really a Wilson fan. 

The Cardinals would send the Jets Murray and their 2023 fourth-round selection in exchange for the 10th overall pick in this draft, quarterback Zach Wilson, the Jets’ third-round pick this year (No. 69) and the Jets’ 2023 first-round selection.

Horribly

Zach Wilson has a higher upside than Murray as a passer and doesnt cost additional draft capital and a 200+ million contract or whatever he is currently looking for

30 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I truly believe that if Deebo is traded, it'll be to the Jets

It makes the most amount of sense, and that is where my money would be as well. 

That said, as a niner fan, I do believe that if this a problem that is fixable via money, it will be. Most of the chatter as to reasons why he wants to go is fun to discuss, but I think more often than not a player's unhappiness is simply solved with more money. There's basically a week to find out. I do not believe that the 49ers can trade him after the draft. Would be a pretty bad off season by this staff when they are trying to compete and introduce a young QB to the league. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

When has this team had anything of quality? We can’t keep using that as a measuring stick to justify a potential move.