2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Kayvon Thibodeaux answers his 2022 NFL draft critics - Sports Illustrated

Unless this article is very slanted and leaving things out, he's a no brainer to draft.

Some of these scouts are too dumb, stubborn or old and "out of touch" to evaluate players and their mindset.

Ya it is hard to tell but when I see on several reports with several teams that means there is something there in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Kayvon Thibodeaux answers his 2022 NFL draft critics - Sports Illustrated

Unless this article is very slanted and leaving things out, he's a no brainer to draft.

Some of these scouts are too dumb, stubborn or old and "out of touch" to evaluate players and their mindset.

The closer the draft gets I feel he will be gone by #4

9 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

It’s so hard to tell. Only guarantee we pretty much have is that Hutchinson will be gone by us. Who the other 2 picks are… no one knows. I just really hope one of JAX, DET or HOU have fallen in love with Walker to where he’s not an option for us. That’s my main thing right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KimuraGod said:

I think it just depends on who goes #1. If it's hutch, you may be screwed. If it's Walker, think he'll be there at 4

I really don't love Walker. I have a huge aversion to players that scream up the boards post combine. Even Hutchinson gives me real concern. Thibs is the guy I really hope is available at 4. If he is gone, Id much rather see if I can get a team to move up for a QB, even offering a bit of a "discount" on the trade up cost.  Maybe Pittsburgh's first and second this year plus a first and third next year. 20 is a little lower than I'd prefer but we could one of our three seconds to move back up a bit if we need to.

That trade could also leave open the opportunity to move down from 10 for the saints two firsts. Three picks in the top 20 while also gaining an additional 1sr and 3rd next year would put us in a tremendous to inject our team with high end talent over the next two drafts. It also leaves us with some wiggle room next year if Zach Wilson busts and we need ammo to move up to secure a new qb

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it just depends on who goes #1. If it's hutch, you may be screwed. If it's Walker, think he'll be there at 4

I’ve read a few articles that Walker is perfect for DET system. I know nothing about DETs system… so I can’t say I think that’s where he goes. But I sure hope he does go 1,2 or 3.

1 minute ago, drew39k said:

I really don't love Walker. I have a huge aversion to players that scream up the boards post combine. Even Hutchinson gives me real concern. Thibs is the guy I really hope is available at 4. If he is gone, Id much rather see if I can get a team to move up for a QB, even offering a bit of a "discount" on the trade up cost.  Maybe Pittsburgh's first and second this year plus a first and third next year. 20 is a little lower than I'd prefer but we could one of our three seconds to move back up a bit if we need to.

That trade could also leave open the opportunity to move down from 10 for the saints two firsts. Three picks in the top 20 while also gaining an additional 1sr and 3rd next year would put us in a tremendous to inject our team with high end talent over the next two drafts. It also leaves us with some wiggle room next year if Zach Wilson busts and we need ammo to move up to secure a new qb

Or…… just give Wilson as much as we can to help him succeed. Not think about the possibility of him failing. Dude finished string and the staff thinks he’s the guy. They’re not looking to acquire picks to get a QB in the future.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Or…… just give Wilson as much as we can to help him succeed. Not think about the possibility of him failing. Dude finished string and the staff thinks he’s the guy. They’re not looking to acquire picks to get a QB in the future.

We can give him weapons while also giving us options in the future. Having three picks in the middle of the first leaves room to draft jamison Williams, Tyler Linderbaum and karlaftus or Johnson, while still having three second rounders to grab a safety, cb and olineman. Or we could spin one of those firsts to San Fran for deebo instead of drafting Williams. 

Then next year, if Wilson isn't a bust we have two first rounders to build up our defense.

This isn't an "either, or" situation. This is about building a strong team while leaving options open for next year.

A lot of buzz about WR Toney being moved by the Giants. Just picked in the first round last year and had some very good games but was hurt a lot. Rumor has it a 3rd would get him. I think if we miss out on a WR I would rather give the Giants a 3rd and use our second round picks on other position than reach for one in the second. 

39 minutes ago, drew39k said:

We can give him weapons while also giving us options in the future. Having three picks in the middle of the first leaves room to draft jamison Williams, Tyler Linderbaum and karlaftus or Johnson, while still having three second rounders to grab a safety, cb and olineman. Or we could spin one of those firsts to San Fran for deebo instead of drafting Williams. 

Then next year, if Wilson isn't a bust we have two first rounders to build up our defense.

This isn't an "either, or" situation. This is about building a strong team while leaving options open for next year.

I don’t hate the idea. I just think we need to start actually getting players in the building to make a change. Not just keep trading for future picks. 

I just feel with the way JD has spoken about us and trades this off-season we have something agreed to already or something. His presser the other day when he smirked when asked about Deebo and didn’t shoot down the idea of it… still seems like too much for me to think there’s not something already.

I forget who said it (maybe Simms, but not sure). But said to not be surprised if they’re a deal already agreed to. But that’s the teams might not want to announce it until as late as they can. To not let other teams know draft plans bc of it.

If there is a Deebo trade I could still see a WR pick in the third round or so. Paying Deebo makes it more likely Davis is cut after the season, so this would give an opportunity to find a cheap replacement. Someone like Alec Pierce could fit there. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I just feel with the way JD has spoken about us and trades this off-season we have something agreed to already or something. His presser the other day when he married when asked about Deebo and didn’t shoot down the idea of it… still seems like too much for me to think there’s not something already.

I forget who said it (maybe Simms, but not sure). But said to not be surprised if they’re a deal already agreed to. But that’s the teams might not want to announce it until as late as they can. To not let other teams know draft plans bc of it.

If you want to throw a little circumstantial smoke on it (that really could mean absolutely nothing)...

The 49ers are very big into drafting guys that they bring on their official visits under this regime. Likely most of them will come from that list. Matt Barrows (athletic beat writer for the 49ers) put together a list of who they visited. Nobody who was a lock to be a first round pick, which makes sense since they don't have one. The highest rated prospect that they brought in was Brisker. 

However....he could only track about 15 (later updated to 17, I think), and said this

Having said that, despite my best efforts, I could only find 15 official visits this year. Teams are permitted to bring in 30 players and it’s absolutely possible some potential first-rounders were snuck in through the proverbial back door. If the 49ers were making plans to pick in the first, they might feel compelled to be extra hush-hush about it. In fact, I spoke with two agents who essentially said, “Yes, one of my guys is visiting, but the 49ers asked that I not say anything.”