2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

3 minutes ago, NewAge said:

If there is a Deebo trade I could still see a WR pick in the third round or so. Paying Deebo makes it more likely Davis is cut after the season, so this would give an opportunity to find a cheap replacement. Someone like Alec Pierce could fit there. 

I don’t think so. Davis if healthy is a great WR. Getting underrated like everyone did to Mosley. 

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t hate the idea. I just think we need to start actually getting players in the building to make a change. Not just keep trading for future picks. 

The idea would mean brining in three first round players this year plus three second rounders. Sure we would be passing on two top 10 picks but this draft doesn't really feel high end to heavy. I'm not convinced that there is a big gap in talent if Hutchinson and kt are gone.

All the wrs are kinda bunched into a big pile. JJ and karlaftus are mid first guys. Cb isn't a huge need and safety is pretty deep.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think so. Davis if healthy is a great WR. Getting underrated like everyone did to Mosley. 

I agree he’s a good WR, but it could end up being a money thing. Cutting him would save $11 million. He could obviously end up having a good enough year that he’s worth that even while already paying Deebo huge money. 

Regardless, the depth behind Berrios is pretty weak. I think they’re going to want to add a mid round guy to the fold even just to take Keelan Cole’s role from last year. 

Edited by NewAge

Just now, NewAge said:

I agree he’s a good WR, but it could end up being a money thing. Cutting him would save $11 million. He could obviously end up having a good enough year that he’s worth that even while already paying Deebo huge money. 

The luxury we’d have would be to see how they all play this season. We bring in Deebo… that’s our focal point. We don’t and it’s Davis and Moore. Even if we draft a guy at 10, I doubt they’re featured as a rookie more than those 2. Davis stays healthy and puts up a 1k+ 8td+ season… you can’t cut him.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s so hard to tell. Only guarantee we pretty much have is that Hutchinson will be gone by us. Who the other 2 picks are… no one knows. I just really hope one of JAX, DET or HOU have fallen in love with Walker to where he’s not an option for us. That’s my main thing right now.

I just think when all is said and done and the pre draft talk disappears that KT will be picked by Detroit or Houston. Only way I see them not going KT is if they fall in love with a QB.

It’s a shame that the other top players are OT’s and the top three teams have got good starting tackles already. If not then I’m sure one or two may have gone top 3.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I think it just depends on who goes #1. If it's hutch, you may be screwed. If it's Walker, think he'll be there at 4

I think it’s all talk about Walker going 1 or 2.

I just see no reason why anyone would draft Walker over KT. I get Walker has massive upside but so does KT. And in terms of on field production and numbers KT is head and shoulders the better player. Just hope someone in their draft rooms overthinks it.

Maybe they don’t like KT’s off the field energy. Who knows .

Edited by KimuraGod

2 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

I just think when all is said and done and the pre draft talk disappears that KT will be picked by Detroit or Houston. Only way I see them not going KT is if they fall in love with a QB.

It’s a shame that the other top players are OT’s and the top three teams have got good starting tackles already. If not then I’m sure one or two may have gone top 3.

I just see no reason why anyone would draft Walker over KT. I get Walker has massive upside but so does KT. And in terms of on field production and numbers KT is head and shoulders the better player. Just hope someone in their draft rooms overthinks it.

It’s a system thing. Walker doesn’t really fit our system IMO. Especially with the athleticism we already have in Q and JFM inside. We need a legit DE. Walker offers that hybrid guy that can be a 3-4 DE a 4-3 DE or DT. Teams might like that flexibility. For me that’s not what we need. We’ve done this experiment already with guys like Richardson and Coples. I’d rather see us draft JJ or Karlaftis at 4 than draft Walker.

• Like 1

Alright Bobby816 I do agree with you on one thing. I too think the Jets have a deal done just waiting too see how the board falls. If Williams is there at 1o they draft him if not a trade might be happening. I think it will be more of a second round pick

2 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Alright Bobby816 I do agree with you on one thing. I too think the Jets have a deal done just waiting too see how the board falls. If Williams is there at 1o they draft him if not a trade might be happening. I think it will be more of a second round pick

I mean it is incredibly rare player trades like that happen on draft night. But I’m not shooting down the idea that we have agreed to something already. I also think the likelihood of both teams having no leak for a several days is unlikely.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I also think the likelihood of both teams having no leak for a several days is unlikely.

I used to believe this, not so much any more. Too many blindside trades and the like.  I remember listening to an interview with Joe Staley and when he made the decision to retire he reached out to Deforest Buckner about being a leader and all and Buckner was like, "I'm getting traded, it'll be announced in the next few days" lol. 

I think that there is probably a lot of stuff out there that is "known" but not necessarily reported for quite some time. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I used to believe this, not so much any more. Too many blindside trades and the like.  I remember listening to an interview with Joe Staley and when he made the decision to retire he reached out to Deforest Buckner about being a leader and all and Buckner was like, "I'm getting traded, it'll be announced in the next few days" lol. 

I think that there is probably a lot of stuff out there that is "known" but not necessarily reported for quite some time. 

Would you rather 10 or a 2nd round haul?

And what as a Niners fan do you think the likelihood of him getting traded is with just a few days pre draft?

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Would you rather 10 or a 2nd round haul?

And what as a Niners fan do you think the likelihood of him getting traded is with just a few days pre draft?

100% the second round haul. Not even close for me. 

Last year I would have said #10. 

Just draft and need specific and I think for the 49ers specifically, the latter is a better option. Some people will talk about getting 10 and trading down, but you kind of need a dance partner for that, and in a draft that isn't perceived to be great at the top or have great QB prospects, you maybe selling down low anyway.  

I personally think that this is still mostly a money issue and I expect it to be resolved and him to re-sign (though I don't think that will actually happen until June / July), so I don't expect him to be moved before or during the draft. However I am much more of a coinflip on that now than I used to be. 

39 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

It may all be overblown, and the stuff I’ve personally seen about Thibs doesn’t worry me, but the mindset/way these guys carry themselves is big in the draft process. 

Walker right when he steps in the league I think is an impact run defender and can play pretty much anywhere on a defensive line. Play off the edge? I think so. 5 tech in a 3-4? Yep. Kick inside to 3T on 3rd downs? Yep. 

The Jaguars aren’t taking Thibs, that I know for sure. It’ll be one of Hutch, Walker, or Ickey.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

100% the second round haul. Not even close for me. 

Last year I would have said #10. 

Just draft and need specific and I think for the 49ers specifically, the latter is a better option. Some people will talk about getting 10 and trading down, but you kind of need a dance partner for that, and in a draft that isn't perceived to be great at the top or have great QB prospects, you maybe selling down low anyway.  

I personally think that this is still mostly a money issue and I expect it to be resolved and him to re-sign (though I don't think that will actually happen until June / July), so I don't expect him to be moved before or during the draft. However I am much more of a coinflip on that now than I used to be. 

Gotcha. I think if there’s a trade it will obviously be pre draft. The rumors I’ve heard (which I’m sure you have as well) have been that he doesn’t want to be used as a RB anymore. Which I’m sure SF can grant him. But I could see the issue being that you’ve offered him a contract with thinking of his shelf-life bc of playing him as a RB at times. So he’s not in the elite WR $ category with SF saying well 8 of your TDs were rushing last year. So why would we pay you elite WR money when your elite numbers were a lot to do with RB. That you’ll pay him, but not if you wants to give up RB duties.

To turn to the Jets… we’re starving for a difference maker. So I could see us offering a great package for him and saying we’d maybe only use him on end arounds as a RB and actually pay him that’s elite WR money.

It should all become clear in the next few days.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

It may all be overblown, and the stuff I’ve personally seen about Thibs doesn’t worry me, but the mindset/way these guys carry themselves is big in the draft process. 

Walker right when he steps in the league I think is an impact run defender and can play pretty much anywhere on a defensive line. Play off the edge? I think so. 5 tech in a 3-4? Yep. Kick inside to 3T on 3rd downs? Yep. 

The Jaguars aren’t taking Thibs, that I know for sure. It’ll be one of Hutch, Walker, or Ickey.

I agree. I think it’s DET or HOU that might take him. You guys are pretty good at drafting DEs. And Walker doesn’t fit the profile you’ve previously drafted with success

I wonder if it is 10 for Deebo, the Jets can get a mid round pick in the deal. The 49ers have two late third rounders that according to the old trade value chart would only devalue the 10th pick down a couple slots. 

KT at 4, 35 and that late third to move back into the first for Linderbaum, Brisker at 38. 

Edited by NewAge