2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

If you look at our personnel… it’s not a talent issue in the DL. So while I think we do somehow get a good DE… getting Lawson back with Q and Rankins in the middle and JFM rotating in isn’t bad if there’s another good DE. It was more the LB and S play that hurt us. So we need to address that more so than DL

I agree that it is not a talent issue. They were decent last year with almost the same players. What changed?  Going from a two gap scheme to a one gap scheme.  Maybe it will just take a season to adjust but so far, not a fan of the defensive scheme. 

12 hours ago, xrade said:

He’s not a huge upgrade to Griffin. He is just in a better O with a great QB.

Disagree. I like Schultz. What Dallas has created... is that they have an overload of weapons, so you cant double team everyone. So there's always someone open creating separation. It makes Dak quite frankly look better than he actually is. Wilson had little to no separation from his skill players this year. Injuries and all were a reason for this. Lamb, Cooper and Elliott are more on teams radar than Shultz. So that's why he had a boost in stats this year. He faced single coverage and won and was open for Dak, 

On 1/12/2022 at 5:19 PM, Bobby816 said:

If you look at our personnel… it’s not a talent issue in the DL. So while I think we do somehow get a good DE… getting Lawson back with Q and Rankins in the middle and JFM rotating in isn’t bad if there’s another good DE. It was more the LB and S play that hurt us. So we need to address that more so than DL

Rankins played like a shadow of his former self, Fatukasi is going into the FA portal. The Jets will either trade or pay Q.W.. The LB's we currently have are less than acceptable.

I agree we need 2 starting calibre LB's fortunately there are a few that can be had in round 2, a TE in either round 3,4 or 5. But I can see the Jets coming away with an OL,LB,DE,S,CB,RB,TE. But I hope after round 1 they concentrate on D with the exception of a TE.

We better start warming up to the idea of drafting Karlaftis. Personally if Hutch and Kayvon are gone, I'd go Neal. But I could see us going Karlaftis thinking that still maybe one of Neal or Ikem will be there at 10. Only thing that worries me about Karlaftis is the lack of production. Now he did get doubled teamed A LOT... but he still never got double digit sacks in pretty much 3 years of playing. But he is a guy that checks all the boxes for JD. LOS player, High character, high motor, has no weaknesses.

31 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We better start warming up to the idea of drafting Karlaftis. Personally if Hutch and Kayvon are gone, I'd go Neal. But I could see us going Karlaftis thinking that still maybe one of Neal or Ikem will be there at 10. Only thing that worries me about Karlaftis is the lack of production. Now he did get doubled teamed A LOT... but he still never got double digit sacks in pretty much 3 years of playing. But he is a guy that checks all the boxes for JD. LOS player, High character, high motor, has no weaknesses.

Still think he's too similar to JFM.  If we knew 100% we were getting the real full blown Carl Lawson back then MAYBE I would be okay.  But even watching his highlights I don't love him.  His name alone is bust-worthy.

I'm personally hoping we drop down a few spots to see where the board is.  Then I'm feeling better about picks like Stingley, Hamilton, Gardner, Ikem...or maybe a guy like Ojabo or JJ shoot up top 10.

• Like 1

Since we're discussing draft here, I just thought of something.  JD probably realizes he made a few mistakes 2020.  By the end of camp, heck maybe even by the beginning of camp, it's totally possible we only have Becton, Hall and Mann on the roster.  Even Becton is being questioned.  We know how well last year teaming up with Saleh, the coaches and scouts has produced one of our most promising draft classes.  With the way the board looks to break, would JD trade down from 4 to get another pick or two because he knows he has to replace his 2020 draft class?