2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Jets Wire 2021 NFL mock draft 10.0: The final 7-round projection (usatoday.com)

Nailed AVT and Michael Carter, had us drafting two CBs.

2022 NFL mock draft: 7-round projections for the New York Jets (usatoday.com)

Can definitely see it shaking out this way, just swapping players here and there.

Very realistic mock. I pray Muma is the LB who falls to the third but Anderson is another athletic freak that passes the JD test. I could absolutely see this happening especially that first round. Getting sauce and JJ and having Lawson back along with the safeties and Reed and tis defense will definitely be improved. 

Can’t really complain if we go Icky. 

One thing I will complain about though. How can every single expert, Jets radio/podcast/beat writer and every NY radio/sports people be so out of touch with what the Jets need?? Everyone is all over Sauce and CB/S plus OL. I even heard someone say the jets need to look at OG in the 2nd or 3rd. We have Tomlinson and AVT!! Then they say WR and EDGE are deep so let’s pass on the top talent and go OL/CB/S because they’re needs and important. I feel like this place is the only place (and hopefully JD) that understands what this team really needs and how the board will shake out. It’s crazy how the arm chair GMs are way better than guys who get paid to cover and analyze the team and have inside info. 

Why do I feel like we’re the only team in the NFL that never makes the obvious choice. If Thibs is there at 4, you draft him. Why get creative and do something different?

If Jameson is there at 10 draft him. Same as above.

We draft Ikem for example. Now we feel forced to make other picks. We force ourself to go DE than at 10, when DE might not be the best pick. We do that… now we’ve forced ourselves to have to take a WR at 35 or 39. Which I’ve stated I don’t like the guys really in that range

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Can’t really complain if we go Icky. 

One thing I will complain about though. How can every single expert, Jets radio/podcast/beat writer and every NY radio/sports people be so out of touch with what the Jets need?? Everyone is all over Sauce and CB/S plus OL. I even heard someone say the jets need to look at OG in the 2nd or 3rd. We have Tomlinson and AVT!! Then they say WR and EDGE are deep so let’s pass on the top talent and go OL/CB/S because they’re needs and important. I feel like this place is the only place (and hopefully JD) that understands what this team really needs and how the board will shake out. It’s crazy how the arm chair GMs are way better than guys who get paid to cover and analyze the team and have inside info. 

CB/S is a need on paper, and OL is 100% something you can never have too many elite talents at (we also had terrible OL play last year so that's still fresh in most minds).

Edge is a tough choice because the blue chip guys are being mocked to go ahead of #4, and the remaining guys make more sense at #10 or later. This makes Sauce and maybe Hamilton the BPA at #4 when considering how deep the WR are in comparison DBs.

It's not totally non-sensical.

Just now, Abe56 said:

If that leads to a trade of Becton, that 2020 class is a biggger disaster than any Idzik or Mac draft

I mean it definitely isnt if you really look at some of those drafts...and at least Douglas is willing to get assets back and fix the issue. Becton went where he was projected even though I want Wirfs. He is his own worst enemy and at least we have a leader in the building that is holding everyone accountable. 2020 was a lost year no matter what. The real rebuilding started last season. 

3 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I mean it definitely isnt if you really look at some of those drafts...and at least Douglas is willing to get assets back and fix the issue. Becton went where he was projected even though I want Wirfs. He is his own worst enemy and at least we have a leader in the building that is holding everyone accountable. 2020 was a lost year no matter what. The real rebuilding started last season. 

It is, if after two seasons all you have to show for it is a sixth round punter, than you deserve all the heat, no excuses.  Thats why this franchise has been in the dump, poor drafting.

The 2021 class obviously has a lot more promise, but I just cant wipe away a whole other draft as oh well it was a rebuilding year.

I would be way more ok if it means moving Fant than Becton

5 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

It is, if after two seasons all you have to show for it is a sixth round punter, than you deserve all the heat, no excuses.  Thats why this franchise has been in the dump, poor drafting.

The 2021 class obviously has a lot more promise, but I just cant wipe away a whole other draft as oh well it was a rebuilding year.

I believe Becton will still be a member of this team and a good player.  I refuse to submit to all the media BS.  Until the Jets coaches or FO state otherwise, Becton is a starting OT.  Mims was chosen to please he-who-shall-not be named and his O.  He does not really fit into LaFleurs O.  Does that make him a miss?  Debatable.  Davis, Zunogo, Perine and Morgan were wasted picks.  Clark could have been a starting OG or at least a serviceable backup.  Bad pick?  Again debatable.  Hall?  Enough said.  Mann?  Still here.  That's 2.5 starting players out of 7 players.  Not that great, but if you factor in the Clark and Mims thing, it is not a total wash.  Comparing 2020 to 2021 is comparing apples to oranges IMO - new coaching staff with different needs.  And lets face it, we would have liked the 2020 draft a whole lot more if Mac or Idzik made those choices.

I'm trying to be optimistic.  Lets see how JD does this week.  More importantly, lets see how JD's 2022 selections pan out this season.

Just now, xrade said:

I believe Becton will still be a member of this team and a good player.  I refuse to submit to all the media BS.  Until the Jets coaches or FO state otherwise, Becton is a starting OT.  Mims was chosen to please he-who-shall-not be named and his O.  He does not really fit into LaFleurs O.  Does that make him a miss?  Debatable.  Davis, Zunogo, Perine and Morgan were wasted picks.  Clark could have been a starting OG or at least a serviceable backup.  Bad pick?  Again debatable.  Hall?  Enough said.  Mann?  Still here.  That's 2.5 starting players out of 7 players.  Not that great, but if you factor in the Clark and Mims thing, it is not a total wash.  Comparing 2020 to 2021 is comparing apples to oranges IMO - new coaching staff with different needs.  And lets face it, we would have liked the 2020 draft a whole lot more if Mac or Idzik made those choices.

I'm trying to be optimistic.  Lets see how JD does this week.  More importantly, lets see how JD's 2022 selections pan out this season.

Me too. The whole fan base was this way with Mosley a year ago and he was arguably our best player last season. Becton knows what’s at stake.

7 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

If we trade Becton its because of Becton not because of Joe. Also Bryce Hall is still a hit he is a legitimate starting corner and a good fit in this scheme. I hate Ashtyn Davis but he still is an ok backup. Mims isn't a bad player either just also not a great fit but clearly can play. Had some bad picks in this draft no doubt. That being said...2014 draft in which was like historic for WRs and we drafted 3 of them and only hit on Enunwa who couldnt stay healthy. Daktoka Dozier never got a chance and become a good guard elsewhere. IMO we had a chance in that draft to build a foundation with like 12 picks and everyone was a bust and we didnt give Q E a chance until his 2nd year and he really only gave us 1 full season. 2014 is the worst draft we've had recently and honestly...the Christian Hackenberg draft was no better and neither was the Leonard Williams draft. Sure Leo was a solid player but wasn't a need and never really was a difference maker. Every else was a bust. Darron Lee the next year, major bust. Jordan Jenkins was an average starting OLB, but wasn't special. The rest of the class was horrendous. I still take JDs 2020 draft over 2014, 2015, and 2016 and now when you look at 2018...its pretty bad. Neither one of those GMs had a single average draft. 

26 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

If we take Ikem I hope to god we just trade Becton and try and get a 2 for him. Then move down from 10 and take your pass rusher and other needs. 

I just can't see JD getting rid of Becton so soon.  If he drafts OT at 4 it is more likely to replace Fant.  I am not on the draft an OT in round 1 bandwagon because I think Fant at LT and Becton at RT will be pretty good for this year.  I am on the draft an OT in round 2 bandwagon to replace Fant next year and/or serve as a backup in case of another Becton injury.