2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

27 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He definitely needs a go to guy but I think LaFleur has shown enough to be comfortable that he can scheme a guy open and if all else fails Zach’s escapability will provide enough opportunities to convert crucial downs.

Lafleur can, but relying on Lafleur scheme too much can be really risky. If someone like Berrios is good only because of his system and Lafluer leaves after next season, Wilson could end up adapting to a new playcaller with a WR core that is no longer effective. It would be similar to what happened in Atlanta after Shan left. They had no clue what to do with the guys Shan was making look good. 

I do think we will be okay on that side of the ball if we go big or not, but a part of me fear going with someone that only can be productive if Lafluer is calling plays. I do want to give Berrios a shot though, he earned a chance to finalyl get on the field around a healthy group of starters. 

23 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Im torn between Garrett and Burks at 10 love both but I’m not against moving down and taking Olave or Williams

like them  both too but I typically favor the route runner all day over size. if you can run routes youre getting open no matter what you run in the 40. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Lafleur can, but relying on Lafleur scheme too much can be really risky. If someone like Berrios is good only because of his system and Lafluer leaves after next season, Wilson could end up adapting to a new playcaller with a WR core that is no longer effective. It would be similar to what happened in Atlanta after Shan left. They had no clue what to do with the guys Shan was making look good. 

I do think we will be okay on that side of the ball if we go big or not, but a part of me fear going with someone that only can be productive if Lafluer is calling plays. I do want to give Berrios a shot though, he earned a chance to finalyl get on the field around a healthy group of starters. 

We won’t have the issue because Saleh will always run the Shanahan system on offense, he’s tied to it much like Kyle in SF is tied to the scheme Saleh ran on defense. We also have in house coordinators being groomed to take on the role so the system will always be in place with obvious wrinkles year to year.

Saleh described the WR room as follows;

X - Likely Davis

Z - Moore(we’ll use him to run our jet motion going forward)

Slot - ?????

4th WR - needs to be able to play all 3 spots(see Keelan Cole)

5th WR - needs to have special teams value (Berrios)

So we have a couple options here. 

1. Sign/Draft a pure slot receiver and keep Davis and Moore at X and Z

2. Sign/Draft a more dynamic X and/or Z and move Davis or Moore to the slot(say we get Burks, he becomes Z, Moore moves to slot or we bring in a London or ARob, they become the X, Davis moves to slot)

We have 3 spots to fill(likely 2 if Berrios returns). Mims will probably still be on the team going into camp and I wouldn’t be against bringing Cole back for the #4 spot as of now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Im torn between Garrett and Burks at 10 love both but I’m not against moving down and taking Olave or Williams

Different WRs. Like them both. Wilson is more that crisp route runner that has great hands. Where Burks is more that do it all WR. Big enough to use his body, but moves great for his size and likes to just have the ball in his hands. Both are great fits for this offense.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We won’t have the issue because Saleh will always run the Shanahan system on offense, he’s tied to it much like Kyle in SF is tied to the scheme Saleh ran on defense. We also have in house coordinators being groomed to take on the role so the system will always be in place with obvious wrinkles year to year.

Saleh described the WR room as follows;

X - Likely Davis

Z - Moore(we’ll use him to run our jet motion going forward)

Slot - ?????

4th WR - needs to be able to play all 3 spots(see Keelan Cole)

5th WR - needs to have special teams value (Berrios)

So we have a couple options here. 

1. Sign/Draft a pure slot receiver and keep Davis and Moore at X and Z

2. Sign/Draft a more dynamic X and/or Z and move Davis or Moore to the slot(say we get Burks, he becomes Z, Moore moves to slot or we bring in a London or ARob, they become the X, Davis moves to slot)

We have 3 spots to fill(likely 2 if Berrios returns). Mims will probably still be on the team going into camp and I wouldn’t be against bringing Cole back for the #4 spot as of now. 

JD sounded committed to Mims still. So he will still be in the mix somehow.

Who really cares if Corey Davis gets his feelings hurt. 

Go after Amari Cooper guns blazing and draft an elite WR prospect #10 overall. 

WR 1: Amari Cooper. 

WR 2: Drake London (or Treylon Burks). 

Slot: Elijah Moore (X-Factor all over the Offense too).

WR 4: Corey Davis.

Go guns blazing after Dalton Schultz too and if not just be sure to draft Trey McBride 2nd round. 

I couldn't care less about Corey Davis having his ego/pride hurt as a #4 WR; I want the best for Zach Wilson. 

Zach Wilson deserves the types of elite weapons that both of Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow has. And so does our longtime Offensive Starved and Craved fan base.

(Enough of this settling for Offensive MEDIOCRITY already).

What Are You Celebrating Fred Armisen GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

43 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Who really cares if Corey Davis gets his feelings hurt. 

Go after Amari Cooper guns blazing and draft an elite WR prospect #10 overall. 

WR 1: Amari Cooper. 

WR 2: Drake London (or Treylon Burks). 

Slot: Elijah Moore (X-Factor all over the Offense too).

WR 4: Corey Davis.

Go guns blazing after Dalton Schultz too and if not just be sure to draft Trey McBride 2nd round. 

I couldn't care less about Corey Davis having his ego/pride hurt as a #4 WR; I want the best for Zach Wilson. 

Zach Wilson deserves the types of elite weapons that both of Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow has. And so does our longtime Offensive Starved and Craved fan base.

(Enough of this settling for Offensive MEDIOCRITY already).

What Are You Celebrating Fred Armisen GIF by Saturday Night Live

There’s 0 chance we invest that much into WR. We need to get1 starting WR. Not an average FA or a 3rd rounder or later. But a premium FA or trade or one of our picks beside at 4 in the 1st 2 rounds

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

There’s 0 chance we invest that much into WR. We need to get1 starting WR. Not an average FA or a 3rd rounder or later. But a premium FA or trade or one of our picks beside at 4 in the 1st 2 rounds

This. We need a single legit guy we can count in week in and week out barring injury and then depth behind those 3(Davis, Moore and the new guy) 

If there’s a week or two because of injury we have to go with a Cole or a Berrios or even both having to start the fine, we’ll adjust but we need a legit top 3 and we have two of the guys in house atm. The last guy is very crucial and the good thing is it can be any type of receiver because as I pointed out Corey and Elijah can both move to the slot if we bring someone in at their position.

I do believe JD and Saleh when they say the focus will continue to be the LOS. So I do expect a big move at DE and on the OL. When I say big move that means signing a top FA, trading for a guy or using one of our top 4 picks on that area. Which as much as I think we need offense more so than anything, I’m always pro an edge rusher. And I’m always pro building the OL.

I do find it odd that JD is talking more about trades this off-season than in previous years. Not sure if that means anything… but he has been mentioning it almost every press conference. He also mentioned that he likes cap space. So don’t expect us to spend all of our cap space. Expect us to leave around 10mill or more of cap. So the draft roughly will cost us 18mill so when looking at our cap space… erase pretty much 30mill of that. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I do believe JD and Saleh when they say the focus will continue to be the LOS. So I do expect a big move at DE and on the OL. When I say big move that means signing a top FA, trading for a guy or using one of our top 4 picks on that area. Which as much as I think we need offense more so than anything, I’m always pro an edge rusher. And I’m always pro building the OL.

I do find it odd that JD is talking more about trades this off-season than in previous years. Not sure if that means anything… but he has been mentioning it almost every press conference. He also mentioned that he likes cap space. So don’t expect us to spend all of our cap space. Expect us to leave around 10mill or more of cap. So the draft roughly will cost us 18mill so when looking at our cap space… erase pretty much 30mill of that. 

Having the amount of cap space and draft capital available makes trading for a guy more likely because you aren't losing that much value resource wise. We're in a great position to make moves because of everything he's done so far. Flexibility is important in these situations, we have it both cap wise and draft pick wise.