2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Can't see 5 OLineman going top 7. But if the odd chance this did happen. I'm all for either Burks or Wilson there at 10. Would be happy with Sauce there as well. I'd even be ok with Lindy there too. Davis is probably the only pick I wouldn't like at all. I mean it will all play out in the next 2 weeks... but if we can move JFM inside and still have Q, Rankins and (maybe even Foley). IDL isn't an issue for us. JFM if we draft Thibs is a DT for us who we just paid and we've already said we're picking up Qs option. So we have money and youth there. Davis is a luxury pick and we have too many holes for that. BPA is a good way to draft generally speaking, but not if you're drafting rotational pieces top 10.

You gotta remember that free agency will fill some of those holes. Then remember that we are just limited to 1 pick, the team will pick a position we might not deem a need especially if the prospect is hard to pass up. Rankins and JFM don’t stop you from taking Davis for example. JFM isn’t a full time 1 tech, Fatukasi will hit the market and probably price himself out.

Theres a lot variables involved, have no idea where things will play out right now, the next couple weeks will tell us more as teams sign free agents.

Just now, JetsandI said:

Well, Saleh skipped the combine so I follow JD.

That has nothing to do it lol. He still had a press conference. For what it’s worth I can’t see Joe going anywhere that isn’t the trenches early from what he’s said either. But 10 is a luxury pick, we can go a few different places we normally wouldn’t. 

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

That has nothing to do it lol. He still had a press conference. For what it’s worth I can’t see Joe going anywhere that isn’t the trenches early from what he’s said either. But 10 is a luxury pick, we can go a few different places we normally wouldn’t. 

After what Saleh did with Mims, trench is only way to go for 1st.  That is why I am cool with DE and DT in 1st as they are guaranteed to play a bunch of season.   

However, JD has been liking Burks since Senior Bowl and Burks wasn't even there in Mobile.  I don't want to believe that but I prudently side with JD.

3 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

1. Jaguars - Ickey Ekwonu OL

2. Lions- Aidan Hutchinson EDGE

3. Texans- Evan Neal OT(this pick becomes clear when/if Tunsil is cut)

4. Jets- Kayvon Thibodeaux EDGE

5. Giants- Trevor Penning OT

6. Panthers- Charles Cross OT

7. Giants- Kenyon Green OG

8. Falcons- Kyle Hamilton S

9. Broncos- Travon Walker EDGE

10. Jets - Every WR is on the board but I can't see it happening, Gardner is intriguing but Saleh has said the D-Line gets priority, he wouldn't even take a LB in the 1st unless they're special. All the OL are gone except Linderbaum. Jordan Davis is intriguing but is it a luxury pick?

This would be a tough situation for us, trading back is probably the best value wise but if we have to make a pick I have almost zero idea on where we would go. Free agency obviously dictates a lot of that so time will tell. 

I mean it’s a nice problem to have. Like the year when Judy, Lamb etc came out all the receivers dropped because they were all good prospects with very little to separate them. I think this year will be the same. 

Theoretically in your scenario we could go #4Thib, #10 Sauce/Stingley and then trade up for one of the top receivers. That would be an insane haul. And we’d still have a few great picks left. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You gotta remember that free agency will fill some of those holes. Then remember that we are just limited to 1 pick, the team will pick a position we might not deem a need especially if the prospect is hard to pass up. Rankins and JFM don’t stop you from taking Davis for example. JFM isn’t a full time 1 tech, Fatukasi will hit the market and probably price himself out.

Theres a lot variables involved, have no idea where things will play out right now, the next couple weeks will tell us more as teams sign free agents.

Totally see your point and it's hard to guess pre FA. But as it stands now there's just so many holes on our roster that I'd just hate that pick. We need a WR as is stands now pre FA. A starting one. We need a RG a starting one. We need for sure 1 TE probably 2 (no TE worthy of that 10th pick obviously. We need a S (arguably even 2), but there's no S worth that 10th pick. We could use a CB to start on the outside. We could use a LB or 2. These are all spots that we need starting players at. No way we fill all those holes in FA. So we still will need starters in several areas. We have 4 picks that we should be drafting guys that should start for us in an ideal world. I'm just big time against choosing a rotational DT in Davis when we have good young players there now, when we need starters in other areas. That by no means means reach for a player just to fill a hole. But no one would call a pick like Sauce, Lindy, Burks, Wilson reach picks there. They're arguably BPA too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

10. Jets - Every WR is on the board but I can't see it happening, Gardner is intriguing but Saleh has said the D-Line gets priority, he wouldn't even take a LB in the 1st unless they're special. All the OL are gone except Linderbaum. Jordan Davis is intriguing but is it a luxury pick?

This would be a tough situation for us, trading back is probably the best value wise but if we have to make a pick I have almost zero idea on where we would go. Free agency obviously dictates a lot of that so time will tell. 

This is why I hope one of the blue chip OTs slide. Going defense, defense in the first round will hurt my soul given our need for an elite weapon. It tough to make the case for a WR given this years depth, but hey - I'm all for taking who you think is the best WR instead of settling for whoever falls to us in the second.

25 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

This is why I hope one of the blue chip OTs slide. Going defense, defense in the first round will hurt my soul given our need for an elite weapon. It tough to make the case for a WR given this years depth, but hey - I'm all for taking who you think is the best WR instead of settling for whoever falls to us in the second.

2nd and 3rd round are rich in offensive side.

8 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

I would rather pool resources together and get the better prospects than have loads of picks. How many players per draft class statically get a second contract with a team? I can’t imagine many. Certainly not for us Jets. 

We have 10 picks overall I believe and I can’t see all 10 being on the 53 come the start of the year. Of the 10 picks we have 5 inside the first 70 picks. If we need to add a couple together and get 4 elite players then that’s a massive win for me. 

It’s not like anyone is advocating trading back in the first two rounds to load up on fourth rounders or whatever. But if you don’t see a huge difference between who’s on the board at 10 vs. who would be on the board later in the first round, it might make sense to move back a bit and gain more early picks. Getting an extra first rounder next year or extra second rounder this year would be really nice. Plus you can still move up later in the draft by trading from your surplus of picks and maximize how often you pick in the first two rounds. 

6 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think they pick Gardner here. Too good to pass on at 10. 

I just don't see the jets being interested in Burke. I think this is a smoke screen so went pick 10 comes and Burke is on the board teams will try to trade with the Jets at 10 along with teams looking to grab that QB off the board. This is a great move. When these teams call he will be like" Well you know we have liked Burke from day one and it will take a nice package to get him." Some of you guys forget that most of this info coming out os false. Yes even Saleh and the GM's will spin it to sound like they like a guy. I would almost put money down that Neal, KT or Hutch will be there at 4. One of these guys will slip a spot. If the Jets trade up in the top 3 I think it is a dumb move unless you trade away like a 5th or 6th to move up 1 spot which would not happen. Right now I have the Jets getting Neal and Stingley. 

1. Jacksonville - Hutch

2. Lions - KV

3. Texans - Ickey

4. Jets - Neal

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Totally see your point and it's hard to guess pre FA. But as it stands now there's just so many holes on our roster that I'd just hate that pick. We need a WR as is stands now pre FA. A starting one. We need a RG a starting one. We need for sure 1 TE probably 2 (no TE worthy of that 10th pick obviously. We need a S (arguably even 2), but there's no S worth that 10th pick. We could use a CB to start on the outside. We could use a LB or 2. These are all spots that we need starting players at. No way we fill all those holes in FA. So we still will need starters in several areas. We have 4 picks that we should be drafting guys that should start for us in an ideal world. I'm just big time against choosing a rotational DT in Davis when we have good young players there now, when we need starters in other areas. That by no means means reach for a player just to fill a hole. But no one would call a pick like Sauce, Lindy, Burks, Wilson reach picks there. They're arguably BPA too.

Any D-Linemen we pick will technically be rotational. I'm kinda taking my own thought process out of the equation and looking at it from the teams viewpoint and how they seem to be setting themselves up to maneuver. Looking at the roster as currently constructed in terms of current needs and future need, adding in the amount of cap space and draft picks we have I don't see how we can fill holes, draft needs and also add a luxury pick or two. We lose Fatukasi and we have a need on the interior for example. Rankins is not a starter and JFM is not a full time DT so we either fill that hole in FA or the draft. Just a scenario I'm playing out. 

I've pretty much conceded any non-trench position as unlikely to be a FRP until further notice. 

40 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I think they pick Gardner here. Too good to pass on at 10. 

Corner's dont get drafted high in this scheme historically. That's kinda why I'm trying to see what direction they likely go in if the top 10 is filled with trench players which is looking likely at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Any D-Linemen we pick will technically be rotational. I'm kinda taking my own thought process out of the equation and looking at it from the teams viewpoint and how they seem to be setting themselves up to maneuver. Looking at the roster as currently constructed in terms of current needs and future need, adding in the amount of cap space and draft picks we have I don't see how we can fill holes, draft needs and also add a luxury pick or two. We lose Fatukasi and we have a need on the interior for example. Rankins is not a starter and JFM is not a full time DT so we either fill that hole in FA or the draft. Just a scenario I'm playing out. 

I've pretty much conceded any non-trench position as unlikely to be a FRP until further notice. 

Disagree.

If Jets take any DL in 1st, it will be a starter or 75 percent of season snap contributor.  Do you really think Jets would rotate Lawson last year if he played?  

If Jets plan to rotate inside then we won't draft DT in 1st.  Dare to say "Guaranteed"