2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

3 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Oh my lord what is his agent doing?! A one year deal in Detroit in that offense to showcase your skills for a big money contract next year?!?!?

think it's a great move tbh.  If you're gonna sign a prove it deal, why not go somewhere you could easily be the number one WR

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

No, I don’t think I will.

There's no way I'm willing to see Gage being paid anything over $8M per year let alone $12M per season. 

• He's a former 6th round pick who despite 4 NFL seasons later has never once recorded over 1k receiving yards (career high of only 786) and a career high of only 4 TDs. 

• More importantly he's only got a career Receiver Rating of 88.4 (not good) in comparison to A.) Amari Cooper's 108.9 Receiver Rating throughout the previous 4 years (elite) and B.) Even Braxton Berrios has a career Receiver Rating of 93.6. 

• He's also not an X-Factor in terms of Yards After Catch and only ranked 82nd in Yards After Catch because of it last year (2021) and only 60th in Yards After Catch (2020); he's just not a playmaker.

• He's also got a history of the drops with 12 dropped passes throughout the previous two years. 

$12M per year for Russell Gage? 

I'll over pay for NFL proven Star players but I'm not overpaying for no Russell Gage...

58 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Eh that doesn't seem fair - people make mistakes, and outside this one incident Maye's given us no reason to believe he's anything but a high character guy. Quite the opposite. Seems very well respected, soft-spoken, no drama, former captain.. etc. One DUI doesn't preclude him from being a leader, certainly doesn't define him.

Serious injury while 'forced' to play on the franchise tag, feel for him in that regard. Hate the tag for that reason. That alone might be enough to have severed the relationship here, but at a reasonable price he'd be a great signing IMO. Has show high-end ability and could be had very cheap. Now if we were to land Williams, can't imagine he'd love the optics there. Feeling like you've sacrificed for a team, only to line up next to a big money FA while still playing with no security - tough pill to swallow for anyone, ego aside. 

I can see that. But he's going to get at least a decent pay day. And he's nearly 30 already. We've already brought back Joyner and have 3 other young Ss that I'm sure we have hopes for. I'd rather us invest more money into Williams, or just draft a guy.

17 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

There's no way I'm willing to see Gage being paid anything over $8M per year let alone $12M per season. 

• He's a former 6th round pick who despite 4 NFL seasons later has never once recorded over 1k receiving yards (career high of only 786) and a career high of only 4 TDs. 

• More importantly he's only got a career Receiver Rating of 88.4 (not good) in comparison to A.) Amari Cooper's 108.9 Receiver Rating throughout the previous 4 years (elite) and B.) Even Braxton Berrios has a career Receiver Rating of 93.6. 

• He's also not an X-Factor in terms of Yards After Catch and only ranked 82nd in Yards After Catch because of it last year (2021) and only 60th in Yards After Catch (2020); he's just not a playmaker.

• He's also got a history of the drops with 12 dropped passes throughout the previous two years. 

$12M per year for Russell Gage? 

I'll over pay for NFL proven Star players but I'm not overpaying for no Russell Gage...

Ehh he's got talent, played in a similar system last year. The going market for a receiver is higher than 12M with the contract Kirk got which set the market. 12M isn't bad, will likely have a 3rd year out. It also doesn't stop us from drafting a kid. WR depth is important, we had maybe 2 games last year with our top 3 receivers playing healthy. 

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Ehh he's got talent, played in a similar system last year. The going market for a receiver is higher than 12M with the contract Kirk got which set the market. 12M isn't bad, will likely have a 3rd year out. It also doesn't stop us from drafting a kid. WR depth is important, we had maybe 2 games last year with our top 3 receivers playing healthy. 

All I'm saying is if you're going to spend $12M on a WR like Gage then why tell me $20M is way too much for an elite and true #1 WR in Amari Cooper which is only an $8M difference when Gage is 26 years old in comparison to Amari Cooper 27.

There is no way fans could just down my throat for wanting to pay Amari Cooper $20M and then tell me. Hey. Let's just throw $12M @ Russell Gage a #3WR at best on the Jets. That makes no sense to me.

And would completely take us out of the running for an elite WR prospect during a fully loaded WR draft class. 

Corey Davis.

Drake London or Garrett Wilson.

Elijah Moore. 

So we're going to pay Russell Gage $12M as a #4 WR? 

No thank you. 

4 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

All I'm saying is if you're going to spend $12M on a WR like Gage then why tell me $20M is way too much for an elite and true #1 WR in Amari Cooper which is only an $8M difference when Gage is 26 years old in comparison to Amari Cooper 27.

There is no way fans could just down my throat for wanting to pay Amari Cooper $20M and then tell me. Hey. Let's just throw $12M @ Russell Gage a #3WR at best on the Jets. That makes no sense to me.

And would completely take us out of the running for an elite WR prospect during a fully loaded WR draft class. 

Corey Davis.

Elijah Moore. 

No thank you. 

I think we get 2 more WRs somehow. I’d imagine 1 more in FA and 1 in the draft. We were thin last year at WR with injuries and we had Crowder and Cole additional to what we have now. So I expect 2 bodies in here. Not sure who is the thing. I can see JD balking at these WR prices for anyone who can start for us. So I see the likely situation as us bringing a vet in for cheap for depth and looking at the 1st 2 rounds for a potential starter. See how that guy adjusts to the NFL. If he can start Day 1 that’s great. If he can’t… Moore goes to the outside and Berrios to the slot and the rookie is the 4th guy.

6 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Corey Davis.

Elijah Moore. 

No thank you. 

Please stop mentioning Amari Cooper. 

Why do you think London or Wilson are some lock?

3 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

Seems like its the Jets are #1 for Marcus Williams, but cant agree on the money

Sometimes you just gotta dive in and take a chance on a stud

He clearly cant get the money from anyone else, Douglas just has to hold his ground. No need to bid against ourselves.