2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

13 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He clearly cant get the money from anyone else, Douglas just has to hold his ground. No need to bid against ourselves. 

Exactly. JD has a number, stick to that number. If someone out bids us. Fine.

9 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

All I'm saying is if you're going to spend $12M on a WR like Gage then why tell me $20M is way too much for an elite and true #1 WR in Amari Cooper which is only an $8M difference when Gage is 26 years old in comparison to Amari Cooper 27.

There is no way fans could just down my throat for wanting to pay Amari Cooper $20M and then tell me. Hey. Let's just throw $12M @ Russell Gage a #3WR at best on the Jets. That makes no sense to me.

Not sure anyone of us is saying the Gage contract is any good.  Had we been the ones to pay for him, I'd be pissed.  That said, the WR market this year is just nuts mostly because of the Kirk contract.  But just because Kirk and Gage got overpaid does not make the Cooper deal anymore attractive.

If it makes you feel better, I'd take Cooper at 20 over Gage at 12.  But there had better be a loaded gun to my head because that would be the only way I'd make that choice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, xrade said:

Not sure anyone of us is saying the Gage contract is any good.  Had we been the ones to pay for him, I'd be pissed.  That said, the WR market this year is just nuts mostly because of the Kirk contract.  But just because Kirk and Gage got overpaid does not make the Cooper deal anymore attractive.

If it makes you feel better, I'd take Cooper at 20 over Gage at 12.  But there had better be a loaded gun to my head because that would be the only way I'd make that choice.

I wouldn't pay neither of them but we have to allocate some sort of resources there to avoid last year's issue of trotting out Jeff Smith as a starter. 12 AAV isn't bad here's a snippet of the article that put me onto the idea of it. 

Contract estimation

Gage just averaged 4.7 receptions per game, 55.0 yards per game, and 0.29 touchdowns per game (66/770/4 in 14 games) in his age-25 season for the Atlanta Falcons. He turned 26 in January.

Looking at some comparable free agents from the 2021 class, it appears Gage should come at an affordable cost for New York:

• Curtis Samuel, entering age-25 season: Coming off 5.1/56.7/0.20 (77/851/3 in 15G), signed 3-year, $34.5M deal with Washington
  • Nelson Agholor, entering age-28 season: Coming off 3.0/56.0/0.50 (48/896/8 in 16G), signed 2-year, $22M deal with Las Vegas
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster, entering age-25 season: Coming off 6.1/51.9/0.56 (97/831/9 in 16G), signed 1-year, $8M deal with Pittsburgh
  • Kendrick Bourne, entering age-26 season: Coming off 3.3/44.5/0.13 (49/667/2 in 15G), signed 3-year, $15M deal with New England

Collectively, those four free agents have about the same profile as Gage, combining for an average line of 4.4/52.3/0.34 (vs. Gage’s 4.7/55.0/0.29) while entering their age-26.0 season on average. The average yearly salary amongst the four players was about $8.9 million.

So, let’s say that a reasonable contract projection for Gage is a three-year, $27 million deal ($9 million per year). That’s very affordable – it would currently rank as the 29th-largest contract among wide receivers in terms of total value and the 30th-largest in terms of average annual value.

So the reason I bumped up to 12 is the cap spike obviously the market likely dictating it due to the contract Kirk got. Kirk coming off of 103/982/5 at 18M per vs Gage coming off of 66/770/4 at 12M is reasonable in this market all things considered. 

That's if we want to do anything other than just bring back Cole or Crowder or find someone in that price range 5M-8M on a prove it. 

Edited by KingOfNewYork

43 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. JD has a number, stick to that number. If someone out bids us. Fine.

True to an extent but if it’s haggling over a small amount then you cut some deadwood like Griffin and GVR etc and just get it done. 

Im all for being a tough negotiator but sometimes JD has got too cute and missed out on players and we’ve then suffered the result of a worse player which to be honest come game time is all I care about not a few million saved here and there. 

Can someone answer what has happened to all the cash that JD has saved in ‘available cap’ over his tenure? Does it simply just stay in Woodys bank? 

5 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

True to an extent but if it’s haggling over a small amount then you cut some deadwood like Griffin and GVR etc and just get it done. 

Im all for being a tough negotiator but sometimes JD has got too cute and missed out on players and we’ve then suffered the result of a worse player which to be honest come game time is all I care about not a few million saved here and there. 

Can someone answer what has happened to all the cash that JD has saved in ‘available cap’ over his tenure? Does it simply just stay in Woodys bank? 

There’s also a difference between giving a 25 year old a little more money/term vs a 28-30 year old. We are getting his prime years.