2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

25 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

True to an extent but if it’s haggling over a small amount then you cut some deadwood like Griffin and GVR etc and just get it done. 

Im all for being a tough negotiator but sometimes JD has got too cute and missed out on players and we’ve then suffered the result of a worse player which to be honest come game time is all I care about not a few million saved here and there. 

Can someone answer what has happened to all the cash that JD has saved in ‘available cap’ over his tenure? Does it simply just stay in Woodys bank? 

It could be years, signing bonus, etc...

Douglas hasn't saved much cap year to year, we don't really have much carry over. The thing he doesn't do is give out huge signing bonuses because they're prorated. So once a guy runs out of guaranteed money with us his full contract will usually come off the books with no dead cap, that's why we've been stuck with Mosley's deal because of how Macc structured it. 

32 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

There’s also a difference between giving a 25 year old a little more money/term vs a 28-30 year old. We are getting his prime years. 

Exactly. Marcus Williams will give his new team his prime years so you don’t mind overpaying slightly. Guys on the end of their career not so much.  

Rams just released the NFLs #1 Punter. 

Super Bowl champion (LVI)

4× First-team All-Pro (2013, 2015–2017)

2× Second-team All-Pro (2014, 2018)

4× Pro Bowl (2013, 2015–2017)

NFL 2010s All-Decade Team

NFL records

Super Bowl record for longest punt (65-yard punt in Super Bowl LIII)

We'll probably be punting a lot (like always) so sign me up. 

I would stay away from Gage. He really would not do much here and you can draft a guy that will probably do better and be a lot cheaper. I would love to have Myles Jack here too. Have him and Mosley in the middle. Saleh could do a lot with these 2 smart ILB. I would also like to have Gillmore to fill in a CB spot. He is 31 but probably has a year or 2 left in him. He migt be able to play safety too if we have him for the third year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Rams just released the NFLs #1 Punter. 

Super Bowl champion (LVI)

4× First-team All-Pro (2013, 2015–2017)

2× Second-team All-Pro (2014, 2018)

4× Pro Bowl (2013, 2015–2017)

NFL 2010s All-Decade Team

NFL records

Super Bowl record for longest punt (65-yard punt in Super Bowl LIII)

We'll probably be punting a lot (like always) so sign me up. 

Braden Mann says hello. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Exactly. Marcus Williams will give his new team his prime years so you don’t mind overpaying slightly. Guys on the end of their career not so much.  

He's been one of my top 5 favorite FA targets since before heading into FA because not only do we have a glaring need @ Playmaking/Ball Hawking FS but Marcus Williams is probably the NFL's best Free Safety in all of Football.

Marcus Williams FA + one of either Daxton Hill of Michigan or Lewis Cine of Georgia and all of a sudden we revamped one of the NFL's worst Safety duo's into an NFL top 1-5 Safety tandem.

I was watching Marcus Williams 2021 highlights + his career INTs the other night and this kid is unreal. His range is unbelievable and with his ball hawking abilities within a Robert Saleh Cover-3 Scheme would be a thing of beauty while roaming Center Field as a true ball hawking/playmaking Free Safety.

(Box SS's aren't high priority within today's NFL but elite FS's are as premium as ever).

1 minute ago, KimuraGod said:

Good deal for them. I didn’t rate him as high as others but seems a decent deal for Miami. 

Dolphins need OL help any way they can find.  Jets could sign him for that price if they didn't care about leadership crap.

Now I am wondering about James Daniels.

7 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

He's been one of my top 5 favorite FA targets since before heading into FA because not only do we have a glaring need @ Playmaking/Ball Hawking FS but Marcus Williams is probably the NFL's best Free Safety in all of Football.

Marcus Williams FA + one of either Daxton Hill of Michigan or Lewis Cine of Georgia and all of a sudden we revamped one of the NFL's worst Safety duo's into an NFL top 1-5 Safety tandem.

I was watching Marcus Williams 2021 highlights + his career INTs the other night and this kid is unreal. His range is unbelievable and with his ball hawking abilities within a Robert Saleh Cover-3 Scheme would be a thing of beauty while roaming Center Field as a true ball hawking/playmaking Free Safety.

(Box SS's aren't high priority within today's NFL but elite FS's are as premium as ever).

I would love Hill with one of our second rounders if he’s still there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

He's been absolutely horrible at pinning teams back within the 20 yard line. 

He's no Johnny Hekker. 

I’m not disputing that but we have a solid young homegrown punter on a peanuts deal. Just no need to get Hekker. That extra few million could get the Marcus Williams deal over the line.