Rams sign S Eric Weddle

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Hate to tell you this but Weddle was an atrocious tackler for the Ravens...in 2017....I'm sure he's gotten better though since then.

The stat I saw was we had 19 missed tackles vs SF and 12 or 14 came from our safeties. It’s possible to get worse but when it’s that bad already? I’ll take Weddle at his age at this point even with his tackling part.

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

The stat I saw was we had 19 missed tackles vs SF and 12 or 14 came from our safeties. It’s possible to get worse but when it’s that bad already? I’ll take Weddle at his age at this point even with his tackling part.

My guy...he's 37 and was arguably one of the worst tackling safeties in the league when he left Baltimore. Believe what you want, but let's be honest about what to expect from Weddle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

My guy...he's 37 and was arguably one of the worst tackling safeties in the league when he left Baltimore. Believe what you want, but let's be honest about what to expect from Weddle.

I get all that. I’ve also watched our safeties for 17 games and it’s not pretty. I’m not saying Weddle will be good. But what we have has a real chance of being worse.

The more I think about it, he has to be an insurance policy for Burgess. 

Burgess is much better but for some reason, hasn't gotten a lot of playing time this year. I think he gets first shot but if the coaching staff feels the need to keep him off the field again, Weddle will step in. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JonStark said:

The more I think about it, he has to be an insurance policy for Burgess. 

Burgess is much better but for some reason, hasn't gotten a lot of playing time this year. I think he gets first shot but if the coaching staff feels the need to keep him off the field again, Weddle will step in. 

Sometimes you need a vet presence to help a young player prepare for a bigger role - watching film, breaking down technique, answering questions that a coach might not be able to answer, etc.

Veteran mentors aren't reserved for QBs.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Why?

He can’t cover anymore either.

We have 2 safeties on the roster and neither one of them can cover or tackle. Our FS and green dot guy just went out for the year and Rapp who's had a mediocre year because Morris really doesn't use him right is in concussion protocol. Our secondary is a major issue right now.

3 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

We have 2 safeties on the roster and neither one of them can cover or tackle. Our FS and green dot guy just went out for the year and Rapp who's had a mediocre year because Morris really doesn't use him right is in concussion protocol. Our secondary is a major issue right now.

Which is fine, but I don’t see why you’d take Weddle. Hopefully he never sees the field and this is a film room, practice presence thing.

• Like 1