2022 Senior Bowl February 5

ARTMONK HOF

Supposedly Rivera isn’t there, spending time with his father in California for his 86th birthday. I have some opinions on that — specifically, we are looking for a franchise-altering QB and our top personnel executive can’t be bothered to be there for the event where 6 of the top 7 prospects are on display? The event where the “surprise” rookie success from the past two seasons (Herbert and Jones) wowed with their intangibles? I just don’t get that. If you want to wear two hats in the organization, you have to be willing to do two jobs. It’s the offseason for Coach Rivera, but the season’s just begun for GM Rivera. 

Anyway, if I was trying to read between the lines on that, it suggests to me that they’re confident they’ll get a veteran and won’t be bothering with drafting these young kids. It’s pretty much inexcusable for him not to be there — unless he feels like the stakes aren’t as high as they seem to those of us on the outside, and he expects they won’t end up being in the market for any of these kids. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Supposedly Rivera isn’t there, spending time with his father in California for his 86th birthday. I have some opinions on that — specifically, we are looking for a franchise-altering QB and our top personnel executive can’t be bothered to be there for the event where 6 of the top 7 prospects are on display? The event where the “surprise” rookie success from the past two seasons (Herbert and Jones) wowed with their intangibles? I just don’t get that. If you want to wear two hats in the organization, you have to be willing to do two jobs. It’s the offseason for Coach Rivera, but the season’s just begun for GM Rivera. 

Anyway, if I was trying to read between the lines on that, it suggests to me that they’re confident they’ll get a veteran and won’t be bothering with drafting these young kids. It’s pretty much inexcusable for him not to be there — unless he feels like the stakes aren’t as high as they seem to those of us on the outside, and he expects they won’t end up being in the market for any of these kids. 

I’m fine with it. His father is 86, he probably hasn’t seen his father in 2 years because of Covid and at 86 any day could be his fathers last day on earth. 

As important as this franchise is, family comes first always. I know fans don’t like to hear that but that’s the true.

Rivera brought on the Marty’s and we still have Tim Grimble here who used to work with Kyle Smith and then other scouts.

Those people can be there and then discuss it with Rivera. I’m sure he’ll be at the combine and he’ll have private interviews with the QBs. The Senior Bowl week is not the be all end all.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

If we don't pull a veteran, then he still has plenty of opportunities to meet with them after that as well. I'm sure there's plenty of leg work being done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

It bothers me, but it is one of those things where you feel like an ******* for saying anything, because it is his elderly father etc.

But it is kind of important to be there when we are supposedly trying to find our franchise QB. Makes me think he is trading the picks away for a quick fix

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m fine with it. His father is 86, he probably hasn’t seen his father in 2 years because of Covid and at 86 any day could be his fathers last day on earth. 

As important as this franchise is, family comes first always. I know fans don’t like to hear that but that’s the true.

All of this is fine. I think you know me well enough by now to know that I have no issue with him having a life outside of Redskins Park. 

But putting aside the issue of why he wouldn't have seen his dad in two years — one would imagine that during a relative surge related to omicron is not the ONE opportunity he’s had to see his old man, particularly when there have been other points like last summer where the case numbers were extremely minimal — there are other weeks in the offseason to do that, aside from Senior Bowl week. When you’re the GM and HC of an NFL team, you have to make sacrifices, and doing both roles means those sacrifices extend beyond Week 18. He chose that, no one made him do it, so it’s hard for me to feel too much pity that his schedule is pretty packed year-round. 

There’s also literally nothing else on the NFL calendar for the rest of the month, that concerns Rivera at least, so he could legitimately spend the entire fortnight following the Senior Bowl with his dad if he wanted to, and still make it back in plenty of time to get up to speed for the combine (March 1) and the beginning of free agency (March 16).

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Rivera brought on the Marty’s and we still have Tim Grimble here who used to work with Kyle Smith and then other scouts.

Those people can be there and then discuss it with Rivera. I’m sure he’ll be at the combine and he’ll have private interviews with the QBs. The Senior Bowl week is not the be all end all.

There are other places to access these prospects, certainly, but the Senior Bowl is the only place in the draft cycle where you get to see them actually playing football, among other football players (who they don’t know). 

It wouldn’t be such a big deal if we didn’t need a QB, but what other better situation is there to evaluate the intangible aspects of a QB prospect? How does quickly/thoroughly does he pick up an unfamiliar playbook? Can he master a different “language” in terms of play calls? Can he communicate effectively with his teammates in that new language, so that they also understand what they’re supposed to do? How does he interact with them, and how do they respond to him? How does he respond to coaching, especially when he does something wrong? How does he relate to the other QBs, with whom he’s “competing”?

There’s really no better way to get a sense of what kind of teammate and leader a QB will be, in person. It’s not a coincidence, to me, that the one prominent guy who was especially high on Herbert and Jones coming into the last two drafts was Jim Nagy. He got an up-close view of those guys in a challenging football environment, measured against the other guys they’re up against for draft position, and he walked away convinced they were guys who had the mental/leadership skills to translate. 

Obviously we’ll have other guys there who can make those observations. But Rivera is the one who will make the final choice and he’s the one who’ll be coaching the guy he chooses. That’s the wagon he’s going to be hitching his — and the franchise’s — fortunes to for the future. And he’s just going to rely on secondhand observations? It’s beyond my comprehension that he’s just passing on a chance to see them in an actual football environment. Maybe I’m just too obsessive/hands-on about things, I’ve never been much of a delegator. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'll ruin your day. The average math works out that when you turn 18 and leave the house, roughly 93% of your time seeing your parents has passed. 

That must be old stats ! My Hood is full of "Failure to Launch" 20, 30 year olds .  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

All of this is fine. I think you know me well enough by now to know that I have no issue with him having a life outside of Redskins Park. 

But putting aside the issue of why he wouldn't have seen his dad in two years — one would imagine that during a relative surge related to omicron is not the ONE opportunity he’s had to see his old man, particularly when there have been other points like last summer where the case numbers were extremely minimal — there are other weeks in the offseason to do that, aside from Senior Bowl week. When you’re the GM and HC of an NFL team, you have to make sacrifices, and doing both roles means those sacrifices extend beyond Week 18. He chose that, no one made him do it, so it’s hard for me to feel too much pity that his schedule is pretty packed year-round. 

There’s also literally nothing else on the NFL calendar for the rest of the month, that concerns Rivera at least, so he could legitimately spend the entire fortnight following the Senior Bowl with his dad if he wanted to, and still make it back in plenty of time to get up to speed for the combine (March 1) and the beginning of free agency (March 16).

There are other places to access these prospects, certainly, but the Senior Bowl is the only place in the draft cycle where you get to see them actually playing football, among other football players (who they don’t know). 

It wouldn’t be such a big deal if we didn’t need a QB, but what other better situation is there to evaluate the intangible aspects of a QB prospect? How does quickly/thoroughly does he pick up an unfamiliar playbook? Can he master a different “language” in terms of play calls? Can he communicate effectively with his teammates in that new language, so that they also understand what they’re supposed to do? How does he interact with them, and how do they respond to him? How does he respond to coaching, especially when he does something wrong? How does he relate to the other QBs, with whom he’s “competing”?

There’s really no better way to get a sense of what kind of teammate and leader a QB will be, in person. It’s not a coincidence, to me, that the one prominent guy who was especially high on Herbert and Jones coming into the last two drafts was Jim Nagy. He got an up-close view of those guys in a challenging football environment, measured against the other guys they’re up against for draft position, and he walked away convinced they were guys who had the mental/leadership skills to translate. 

Obviously we’ll have other guys there who can make those observations. But Rivera is the one who will make the final choice and he’s the one who’ll be coaching the guy he chooses. That’s the wagon he’s going to be hitching his — and the franchise’s — fortunes to for the future. And he’s just going to rely on secondhand observations? It’s beyond my comprehension that he’s just passing on a chance to see them in an actual football environment. Maybe I’m just too obsessive/hands-on about things, I’ve never been much of a delegator. 

He does value his coaches and has a lot of faith in all his subordinates. I believe he trusts them in their evaluations and that has always been the impression I’ve gotten every time I’ve heard him speak.  
I understand your point. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

If we lose Settle, we probably should look at getting/developing a 4th. 

I could easily see us losing both Payne and Settle.

Besides it is always good to keep a churn on young guys at this spot. Get another on day 3 imo.

Also have seen some legitimate juice from Tyler Badie, RB from Missouri. He was crazy productive, basically their entire offense, and while he’s small, he’s thickly built. Absolutely roasted an LB on an option route and then a nice cut to get downhill on a screen. 

• Like 1