Official Name Poll- lets vote on what we think it will be

mar29020

Official Name Poll- lets vote on what we think it will be!  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What will the new team name be picked by Dan Snyder?

• Hogs
    • RedTails
    • Commanders
    • Warthogs
    • Redwolves
    • Armada
    • Monuments
    • Brigade
    • RedHawks
    • Defenders
    • RedHogs
    • Presidents
    • Washington Football Team
    • Groundhogs
    • Wolves
    • Wolfpack
    • Senators

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/2022 at 11:49 PM

On 1/14/2022 at 1:26 AM, aceinthehouse said:

I didn't vote cause I don't think our name is on this list.

Btw, didn't Dan Snyder own the rights to the name Warriors?

And if so, why hasn't this name been mentioned at all?

It would also explain all the Helmet logo's with the big "W" on it. (If they're even legit)

Native American groups shot it down is what I heard. I don't agree that they should’ve been able to on the name Warriors bc it can have so many different meanings, but that's what I heard and someone on this board said it too. I think it was @MikeT14

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think it's going to be Redtails, 3 reasons:

1. They want to relocate to DC & the DC Coucil voted 3 years ago that if they move back to DC they’d want the name to be Redtails to honor the Tuskegee Airmen

2. When they had the video of the guys looking at the jersey’s it was all African Americans. 

a. Doug Williams looked at the jersey and talked about it

b. Martin Mayhew same thing 

c. Terry McLaurin same thing

So why would they only have African American guys look at the jersey reveal in the video they put out if it wasn't Redtails?

I don't know, just a hunch and some people were talking about these points on Twitter and I think it's a strong possibility 

3. The way they're unveiling the new name on the Today Show or with the Today Show w/ Craig Melvin & Jason Wright just once again it points to something historic IMO. It's not just a regular name reveal, it's going to have more meaning so again that points to RedTails.

I agree with you 100%< turtle.

It makes me sick to my stomach. It truly does...

Redtails fits the criteria in everything they're looking for in a name.

1)It has Red in it. So they can go "look see" we wanted to keep our history & appeal to our older generation of fans. It works for nastalga...

2)It fits the military theme that Rivera wants. Redtails was a fighter squadron made up of blacks only.

3)It fits in to the equality equation of BLM. It specifically honors black people in a time of war.  Not to mention Washington D.C. is like 80% black.

It's sad really...

They get rid of a name because of it's racist overtones, only to rebrand the name that specifically & only recognizes the African American based on color.

It's double standards & it makes me sick. 

The name itself isn't the worst they could get, but I can only imagine the headlines after an *** whoopin' like the one we suffered from Dallas a couple weeks ago.

"Dallas sends Washington home with their tails red"

Or "Dallas gives Washington a beating that only darkens their red tails"

I'm not a fan of the name at all, but it's the reasoning & sucking up to world police that makes me hate this name more than any.

I pray, it's not this name. I really do.

But I'm afraid that turtle is right. 

It's been on every list  of team name possibilities & hasn't been a name thrown around lately for misdirection.

There are also many who like this name.

I'm not one of them.

7 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I agree with you 100%< turtle.

It makes me sick to my stomach. It truly does...

Redtails fits the criteria in everything they're looking for in a name.

1)It has Red in it. So they can go "look see" we wanted to keep our history & appeal to our older generation of fans. It works for nastalga...

2)It fits the military theme that Rivera wants. Redtails was a fighter squadron made up of blacks only.

3)It fits in to the equality equation of BLM. It specifically honors black people in a time of war.  Not to mention Washington D.C. is like 80% black.

It's sad really...

They get rid of a name because of it's racist overtones, only to rebrand the name that specifically & only recognizes the African American based on color.

It's double standards & it makes me sick. 

The name itself isn't the worst they could get, but I can only imagine the headlines after an *** whoopin' like the one we suffered from Dallas a couple weeks ago.

"Dallas sends Washington home with their tails red"

Or "Dallas gives Washington a beating that only darkens their red tails"

I'm not a fan of the name at all, but it's the reasoning & sucking up to world police that makes me hate this name more than any.

I pray, it's not this name. I really do.

But I'm afraid that turtle is right. 

It's been on every list  of team name possibilities & hasn't been a name thrown around lately for misdirection.

There are also many who like this name.

I'm not one of them.

Different meaning in this name vs the old name. The Tuskegee Airmen painted the tails of their planes red so you could identify them in the air. It's not what you're trying to make it out to be. This would be honoring that legacy, it's the exact opposite of the old name and the exact opposite of how you are representing it.

Wash DC isn't 80% black anymore, it's more like 60%.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Different meaning in this name vs the old name. The Tuskegee Airmen painted the tails of their planes red so you could identify them in the air. It's not what you're trying to make it out to be. This would be honoring that legacy, it's the exact opposite of the old name and the exact opposite of how you are representing it.

Wash DC isn't 80% black anymore, it's more like 60%.

I'll be more surprised if we're NOT Redtails, than if we're the Washington Lumberjacks.

I have no problem honoring the black players of the Washington Redskins past, however.

Why can't we be the Washington Posse…?

Or the Washington Fun Bunch?

At least these have direct ties to the history of our team. I would be a 100% cool with that & totally on board.

I'm pissed already & it's not even Feb. 2nd yet.

9 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'll be more surprised if we're NOT Redtails, than if we're the Washington Lumberjacks.

I have no problem honoring the black players of the Washington Redskins past, however.

Why can't we be the Washington Posse…?

Or the Washington Fun Bunch?

At least these have direct ties to the history of our team. I would be a 100% cool with that & totally on board.

I'm pissed already & it's not even Feb. 2nd yet.

No offense but you've always struck  me as the one guy in this forum who was never going to be happy with whatever the next name is.

I just hope for your sake that you don't let a stupid name of a franchise change your love for the actual team bc if you’ve always loved the team and the players who played for it then that should be more important to you than a team name IMO.

That’s been my thought process throughout this entire name change. I never liked or disliked the Redskins bc of their team name. I always liked them and rooted for them because they were a part of DC SPORTS and I root for DC Sports.

For example, I don't like the Wizards name, I think they should still be the Bullets even 25 years later but I still root for them bc I root for DC sports.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Native American groups shot it down is what I heard. I don't agree that they should’ve been able to on the name Warriors bc it can have so many different meanings, but that's what I heard and someone on this board said it too. I think it was @MikeT14

Can’t completely remember but this seems nearly it. It was too associated with NA groups among other things. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No offense but you've always struck  me as the one guy in this forum who was never going to be happy with whatever the next name is.

I just hope for your sake that you don't let a stupid name of a franchise change your love for the actual team bc if you’ve always loved the team and the players who played for it then that should be more important to you than a team name IMO.

That’s been my thought process throughout this entire name change. I never liked or disliked the Redskins bc of their team name. I always liked them and rooted for them because they were a part of DC SPORTS and I root for DC Sports.

For example, I don't like the Wizards name, I think they should still be the Bullets even 25 years later but I still root for them bc I root for DC sports.

Just my 2 cents.

I honestly don't know how I'll react, when the new name is revealed.

I've been a "Redskins" fan since I was 5 years old. I've lived in Springfield, Missouri all my life & have never been to Washington D.C. or ever have seen the Redskins play live.

I've only ever seen 1 NFL game my entire life & that was when I was on vacation with friends in Ohio. I saw the Chiefs vs Browns (friend was Browns fan & another friend was a Chiefs fan)

But we were there, because we toured the Pro Football Hall OF Fame in Canton.

This was in the mid 90's.

Anyways, Washington Football Team is good because the name is so generic & still in limbo & was never permanent.

This next name will probably be permanent.

So it's kind of a big deal for me.

I have no ties to the D.C. area so the only thing I had to hold onto, was the Redskins Logo which is now gone & the team name which is in limbo till Feb. 2nd.

I've been fortunate enough to enjoy the glory years under Gibbs & heartbroken to endure what I've witnessed under Dan Snyder.

So who knows? You might be right. No name will possibly be good enough for me.

Hopefully the colors don't change that much.

It just saddens me to see the 6th oldest NFL team have to change their name & logo, not because they wanted too.

But because of political correctness & peer pressure.

That to me is what is sad. Not the name change in & of itself.

4 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I honestly don't know how I'll react, when the new name is revealed.

I've been a "Redskins" fan since I was 5 years old. I've lived in Springfield, Missouri all my life & have never been to Washington D.C. or ever have seen the Redskins play live.

I've only ever seen 1 NFL game my entire life & that was when I was on vacation with friends in Ohio. I saw the Chiefs vs Browns (friend was Browns fan & another friend was a Chiefs fan)

But we were there, because we toured the Pro Football Hall OF Fame in Canton.

This was in the mid 90's.

Anyways, Washington Football Team is good because the name is so generic & still in limbo & was never permanent.

This next name will probably be permanent.

So it's kind of a big deal for me.

I have no ties to the D.C. area so the only thing I had to hold onto, was the Redskins Logo which is now gone & the team name which is in limbo till Feb. 2nd.

I've been fortunate enough to enjoy the glory years under Gibbs & heartbroken to endure what I've witnessed under Dan Snyder.

So who knows? You might be right. No name will possibly be good enough for me.

Hopefully the colors don't change that much.

It just saddens me to see the 6th oldest NFL team have to change their name & logo, not because they wanted too.

But because of political correctness & peer pressure.

That to me is what is sad. Not the name change in & of itself.

Sometimes, some things are just the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

What it should be= Redhogs

This is the closest name that mirrors Redskins, without NA imagery. You basically replace "skins" with the whole hog name and whalla? A modified version of the name. It also pays homage to the early days of our Offensive line with Jeff Bostic, Joe Jocoby, Mark May, Russ Grimm, Mark Schlereth, Jim Lachey, etc. Even Riggins was included as a Hog. So keeping history, a loyal fanbase & adding a modified logo & uniform. Imo, this should be the name. It's perfect!

What I want it to be=Bravehearts

This is the name that I personally emailed to Washington Football Team when they reached out to us for ideas. I chose this name for a couple of reasons. 1) Since I knew Braves was NOT happening because of NA imagery, Bravehearts could be. Braves was our original name back in 1932.  (Boston Braves) Bravehearts would allow Brave in our name. It was also a killer movie starring Mel Gibson. 2) It would allow us to keep our fight song without much alterations. "Hail to the Bravehearts....Hail Victory....Braves on the Warpath...Fight for ole' D.C."!!  So this name would allow us to keep our history & identity quite literally. I never put much thought into the logo, or imagery with this name. The name rolls off the tongue pretty good & it would be a tough name that even the most anal individual would have a hard time being affended by.

What it will be= Redtails

Like turtle, I believe this is the name that will be revealed on Feb. 2nd. It makes too much sense. If you listened to what the Washington organization has said about the choice of the new name. They want this new name to relate to the history of the area...(military fighting unit) & Rivera is big supporter of our military. CHECK! They want to bring in new fans for a new culture. ( Supporting Black History) CHECK! They want to keep the old fans & history & what it means to them. (The word RED stays in the name, as well as unis, jerseys, etc) CHECK! This name checks all the boxes for what  they are probably looking for. 

I'll be VERY surprised, if Redtails is not the new name. (Happily, I might add)

Let's just say this...

If they come out and say we are the Washington Death Star Sharknadoes?

I'll be doing cartwheels, because they didn't mention Redtails...

It will be like seeing your NCAA basketball team make the Bracket in the tournament as a  #15th seed. ( And your team is Mississippi Valley technical school for the gifted)

It will be like when they ran that DNA analysis on that Lady you banged at that party & you found out ...it wasn't your child.

That's how much I hope...it's not Redtails.

Edited by aceinthehouse

Frankly, I am sick of all the speculation. 

1. I dont think its going to be Redtails, most fans didn't know about the Redtails until the name was suggested, and they still didn't buy in. How do you market nicknames etc...

2. What if, the whole trademark thing was irrelevant and that was a ploy to have it a complete surprise. 

3. Naming the team something which the fans have not shown a huge interest in, would be really bad for marketing and ticket sales. Fans are already pissed off, how much more would they be if the name was something they don't like. 

4. The logo has to be iconic. It has to be something recognizeable like the Cowboys Star, the Alabama A, the Yankees NY, the Green Bay G, basically something that you can look at with no words and instantly say, that is the [team x]. 

5. Recently, as of the last couple of months, the team had been looking at sites in Prince William County and Loudon County for their new stadium. They said it would be ideal to have it close to a major hub, which both counties can provide, so Redtails is not a given, unless the site is in D.C. itself.