Texans fire David Culley

MikeT14

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

On the flip side to play Devil's advocate here, despite all of those things the Texans still won the same amount of games they did last year with a clear void of talent.

Not all wins and losses are created equally - consider that the 2021 Texans had a negative point differential (-169) that was double that of the 2020 Texans (-80). The 2020 Texans had 10 games go down by a score or less, and that team sent 2-8 in those games. 2021 Texans? Four games decided by a score or less, 0-4 in those games (so not only less successful, but less games total that were within a score). The Texans average margin of loss was 17.2, nearly three scores - so, the Texans lost big moreso than they ever had in their existence (including the 2002 expansion team).

Sure, wins equal out on paper. But the losses were MUCH more dramatic in nature.

Is the theory that Flores or Mayo are going to step in with the foundation that's there and do a better job and not make those mistakes in year one? 

Flores, yes. Mayo? I don't know. Probably not.

I expected Culley to be awful as a coach, but I mean all things considered I have a hard time believing he was.

I really think that LAC win warped the view on this guy to the national media. This narrative of "they're playing hard for him" is ignoring that over half of this roster (literally, 51% of the roster) is in a contract year, and anything other than playing hard will probably be the end of an NFL career for many of these guys.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Jay Cutler? Incredible?

McDaniels trading Cutler was moronic. No sugar coating that. 

He obviously wasn't incredible at the time, nor would he ever be. 

But it was a big strike against McDaniels, nonetheless. 

Edited by Heinz D.

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

McDaniels trading Cutler was moronic. No sugar coating that. 

He obviously wasn't incredible at the time, nor would he ever be. 

But it was a big strike against McDaniels, nonetheless. 

Not really. Cutler was a terrible fit for McDaniels' Offense. 

The real strike against McDaniels is what he did with the compensation. Used one of the first rounders on Robert Ayers (very average career in Denver), then leveraged the other one to trade for Alphonso Smith who had a terrible career in Denver.

The funny bit? The 1st round pick he gave up for Smith (#37 overall) became the 14th pick the next year, where the Seahawks selected future HOFer Earl Thomas. Hilarious.

But, there's more. McDaniels then traded a 2nd and a 4th to select a blocking TE (Robert Quinn) and a Center (Seth Olsen), who both had nothing NFL careers. He gave up two 3rds to the Steelers which became Mike Wallace and Craig Urbik, both had very distinguished NFL careers.

McDaniels was 32 years old when he became a Head Coach - people talk like he was a 16 year old. He was a fully grown man that acted like the most pathetic, spoilt brat I've possibly ever seen from a Coach in professional sport.

If you believe he can 'change his spots', good for you. But if I was a Texans fan, I'd want absolutely nothing to do with him.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

Comments like this really seem to be focused on record and not what led to this record.

Here's a really deep dive into the David Culley era in Houston:

https://theathletic.com/3067310/2022/01/12/fact-checking-arguments-for-and-against-the-texans-firing-david-culley?source=user-shared-article

Some fun nuggets:

- The Texans’ matched Las Vegas’ preseason expected win total, but when they weren’t competitive, they were really not competitive. They lost on average by 17.2 points.

- The 2020 Texans had a minus-80 point differential through 16 games, while Culley’s Texans were minus-169 through 16 games. In 2020, the Texans were 2-9 in one-score games; this season’s team was 0-4. No Texans team played in fewer one-score games than this season’s Texans, despite this being the longest season in Texans history.

- But in both of those victories (LAC, Tenn) as well as the Texans’ Week 1 win over the Jaguars, Houston finished plus-3 or better in turnover margin. In other words, turnover luck bounced the Texans’ way in a significant way, and that’s not a sustainable way to win or a smart way to evaluate the team’s overall performance.

- He’s made elementary game-management errors and offered head-scratching explanations. Among them:

He declined a penalty to punt a play early against the Browns out of frustration.

He did not understand Caserio’s in-game advice on the headset to let the Patriots score late in a close loss.

In that same Patriots game, he thought the clock stopped on New England’s final drive because of an incomplete pass, but it stopped because Culley called a timeout.

Down 11 early in the fourth quarter against the Dolphins, in a game in which his team failed to score a touchdown in its three prior red zone trips, Culley opted for a field goal from the Miami 1-yard line.

He said after losing to the Dolphins that his team would never win while turning the ball over four times, despite the Texans defense recording five takeaways that day.

After seeing the Texans’ up-tempo passing game have success in a failed comeback against the Titans, Culley said he shouldn’t have relied so heavily on one of the least efficient running games of this century. It took him 16.5 games to come to that revelation.

Let's level set here - the Texans are bad, sure. David Culley was part of the reason they were bad.

Nothing like an informed opinion to correct the narrative.

I had a different perspective on this, but after reading this I'm sold.

Despite the narrative, this is a very different situation of the Lions, who have a similar talent level, but where in close, and fighting on a bunch of games.

Can't have the narrative that the team is fighting, while at the same time being blown out, every time they go behind by more than 1 score.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Have to feel bad for Culley. He wasn't the unmitigated disaster I expected.

I don't feel bad for him, not even one second.

Everybody knows what a mess the Texans are. He decided to sign for them anyways. 

He is also 66 years old and got a massive payday after being an nfl positional/assistant coach for 25 years for 1 years of work. An opportunity he likely never would have gotten with another franchise.

And finally, he actually did kind of decent with the Texans considering what the situation is, so it's not like his 'legacy' will be tainted by this (for as much as there is a legacy of a 30 year long positional coach).

23 minutes ago, Roninho said:

And finally, he actually did kind of decent with the Texans considering what the situation is, so it's not like his 'legacy' will be tainted by this (for as much as there is a legacy of a 30 year long positional coach).

I agree his legacy won't be tainted - but I will stand on the table against anyone who says he did a decent job.

Look past W/L and it's pretty obvious - he wasn't good. Look past roster deficiencies, you'll see he made the situation worse, both on and off the field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roninho said:

I don't feel bad for him, not even one second.

Everybody knows what a mess the Texans are. He decided to sign for them anyways. 

He is also 66 years old and got a massive payday after being an nfl positional/assistant coach for 25 years for 1 years of work. An opportunity he likely never would have gotten with another franchise.

I have no idea why anyone feels bad for him?  He got 3 years salary for 1 year of work.  Basically a 22 million dollar retirement gift.  Can someone give me that and feel sorry for me please...  

He also was not being considered for any head coaching jobs anywhere in the NFL.  He basically won the jackpot.  Again, please let me win the jackpot and than feel sorry for me.  I'll cry in bags of cash.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Does he get another job or just ride out his 5 years til he gets fitted for his Gold Jacket?

i'll be shocked if he got another job rather it's a head coaching job or a position coach. He's 66 years old and he wasnt even good at either position. 

• Like 1