Former Broncos and Bears ILB DJ Williams admits McDaniels led Broncos team cheated

BullsandBroncos

58 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Why would he lie? You're quibbling over him recalling irrelevant details 10+ years later. What NFL player is advantaged by admitting his team was cheating?

Reporting the ramblings of an individual as if it were factual journalism opens people up to fact checking.

Its not quibbling, its dealing in reality instead of unreliable witness testimony 10 years after the fact.

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

Reporting the ramblings of an individual as if it were factual journalism opens people up to fact checking.

Its not quibbling, its dealing in reality instead of unreliable witness testimony 10 years after the fact.

If you think D.J. Williams is an "unreliable witness," you don't know what "unreliable" means. Let me know when you figure out a motive for him to lie. Until then, I could not care less about your "fact checking." The one fact you'll never be able to change is that he was there and you weren't.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If you think D.J. Williams is an "unreliable witness," you don't know what "unreliable" means. Let me know when you figure out a motive for him to lie. Until then, I could not care less about your "fact checking." The one fact you'll never be able to change is that he was there and you weren't.

One video guy made a 6 minute recording.

The Broncos ownership did not find out about it until a month later.

You ASSUME that DJ was part of this conspiracy, knew all the facts, and got firsthand reports from McDaniels, Scarnecchia, and the NFL Brass?

You then assume that he remembers everything with perfect clarity 10 years later.

That's a pathetic cold take.

Edited by SkippyX

To be fair, a few points:

1.   DJ got his years mixed up, when he said they were 6-0, it was the previous year.

2.  The game in question was the year after. 

3.  As others mentioned, camera guy +/- McDaniel were ID'd, and the NFL decided not to pursue.  It was known back then.

4.  The real issue that got McD fired is he demanded full team roster control and really F'd it up.    I mean, we went 5-17 after the 6-game win streak, he benched Brandon Marshall, and frankly turned the roster into a gong show.    The failure to report was the last straw, but it only accelerated his firing to in-season, rather than end-of-season.

I mean, it would be a stretch to think McD didn't know, but that's what the NFL concluded.  The failure to report appparently got McD, but either way it was a done deal that he was gone.   It's also fair to say it's been eons since then.   I doubt it does anything to McD's future prospects.  If anything, how he handled the IND hiring-then-return raises bigger Q's into his reliability outside of succeeding BB in NE.

13 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

One video guy made a 6 minute recording.

The Broncos ownership did not find out about it until a month later.

You ASSUME that DJ was part of this conspiracy, knew all the facts, and got firsthand reports from McDaniels, Scarnecchia, and the NFL Brass?

You then assume that he remembers everything with perfect clarity 10 years later.

That's a pathetic cold take.

I don't need to assume anything. We have a guy who was in the locker room interacting with those coaches who played for a long time in the NFL and is familiar with how the game works. Pathetic is thinking that not remembering every detail correctly makes somebody an unreliable witness. It tells me you don't understand how memory works.

I have an easy example. I attended the game where Barry Bonds hit his first career homerun in Yankee Stadium. I could tell you who was the starting pitcher (Ted Lilly). I could tell you how the Yankees lost that game (an Alfonso Soriano error in the 9th inning). I could tell you that it was in 2002. But if you asked me what the final score was, I'd have told you it was 5-4. If you asked me who hit the ball that scored the winning run, I'd have told you it was Jeff Kent. Yet, neither of those things are correct upon googling it. The final score was 4-3. And Benito Santiago hit the ball on the Soriano error that scored the winning run. Jeff Kent singled before him to put the winning run in scoring position.

By your logic, I must be lying. After all, I didn't accurately recall some irrelevant details. There's no reason for me to lie. But if I can't remember every single detail correctly, I can't be telling the truth. Human memory doesn't work that way.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I don't need to assume anything. We have a guy who was in the locker room interacting with those coaches who played for a long time in the NFL and is familiar with how the game works. Pathetic is thinking that not remembering every detail correctly makes somebody an unreliable witness. It tells me you don't understand how memory works.

I have an easy example. I attended the game where Barry Bonds hit his first career homerun in Yankee Stadium. I could tell you who was the starting pitcher (Ted Lilly). I could tell you how the Yankees lost that game (an Alfonso Soriano error in the 9th inning). I could tell you that it was in 2002. But if you asked me what the final score was, I'd have told you it was 5-4. If you asked me who hit the ball that scored the winning run, I'd have told you it was Jeff Kent. Yet, neither of those things are correct upon googling it. The final score was 4-3. And Benito Santiago hit the ball on the Soriano error that scored the winning run. Jeff Kent singled before him to put the winning run in scoring position.

By your logic, I must be lying. After all, I didn't accurately recall some irrelevant details. There's no reason for me to lie. But if I can't remember every single detail correctly, I can't be telling the truth. Human memory doesn't work that way.

Yes, by definition a witness who can not remember the details is unreliable.

Ask a lawyer if DJ is ready for the witness stand or if he needs lots of prep and fact checking first.

You can start with the Denver Post.

Do you actually know the level of cross checking and referencing that goes into publishing a newspaper story?

I will go with the Denver Post over DJ for obvious and sane reasons.

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Yes, by definition a witness who can not remember the details is unreliable.

No, that's not correct. He remembered plenty of details. You're attacking him because he got some unimportant details wrong.

Ask a lawyer if DJ is ready for the witness stand or if he needs lots of prep and fact checking first.

D.J. Williams isn't testifying at trial. He's shooting the sh*t on a podcast. And I don't need to ask a lawyer. I am one. We get witnesses prepped exactly because people's memories are fallible. I'd expect many "reliable" witnesses to make errors when speaking informally. It's why we put so much time and effort into prep.

I will go with the Denver Post over DJ for obvious and sane reasons.

I'll go with the guy who was there. Two of D.J.'s best seasons in his career came under McDaniels. It doesn't benefit him to say that he was advantaged by a coaching staff who were cheating. What he said is akin to a "statement against interest." A statement against interest is a hearsay exception because they're deemed reliable and unlikely to be untruthful. Why? The vast majority of people don't lie when they're telling you things that are against their own best interests.

• Like 1

This is not a RUMOR thread. Its a NEWS thread.

Some idiot 25% remembering a story 10 years later is not news.

The actual article from the Denver Post on the actual incident covered the actual news.

A lawyer having sad feelings over people daring to fact check something is special.

Edited by SkippyX