2022 Head Coach Thread

LORK88

I thought during camp when listening to Culley and then Lovie Smith speak that I would have preferred to have Lovie to be the HC. Still I agree that I believe it'll be Flores/Mayo and Pep as OC (which wouldn't be bad). I just have such a problem with this organization and how things are done. McNair is an owner that I have no respect for. I think Caserio is a smart guy and may end up making this team good, but it'll take a very long time to repair the image of this franchise within the NFL due to the mismanagement of players and people within the organization. What I'm saying is that this is no first class organization thanks to Cal, and as a fan that's all I really want it to be (regardless of wins or losses).

I like Lovie and his defense, and was looking forward to an upgrade in talent to see what he could make of that unit. I expect the defensive staff to be changed however. 

4 hours ago, Marco79 said:

I think it’s Mayo — he seems very much like a Caserio guy. 

Also, I’m skeptical of Flores being the choice because 1) I think he’ll have more enticing offers potentially and 2) he was the driving force in Miami wanting to get Watson. It seems odd that he would want to come to Houston knowing that Watson is a goner. Also, it seems weird that he has a very close relationship with Easterby AND still wanted to trade for Watson considering Easterby was a reason why Watson wanted out.

Flores agent & Watson's agent both work for Athletes First

14 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

has anyone thought that they might give Lovie Smith the job?

I wouldn't hate this. If we could pair him with a talented OC, I could really get on board with Lovie @ HC.

At minimum, I'd like to let Lovie stay at least one more season to  continue working with these guys. Our defense was playing really really well at the end of the year in my opinion. I feel like Caserio is good at finding players for Lovie's defense.

While I could see myself  getting excited about hiring someone like Flores, I'm not sure if I like the idea of starting entirely over on defense, especially given the progress they made this year. I'd prefer to go for an offensive-minded HC to pair with Lovie. 

I'm thinking possibly Nathaniel Hackett, or just really any offensive-minded coach with access to good offensive position coaches. 

I don't have a favorite candidate at this point, I assume it's either Flores or McDaniels. I do know, that I am not in favor or promoting Pep to OC nor am I in favor of promoting Lovie to HC or bringing RAC back as HC. Lovie is an incredible DC, but he got overwhelmed in Chicago as HC. Pep didn't show enough to get a promotion IMO. 

I love the idea of Flores, but that creates a conundrum with Lovie as DC. Both are defensive guys. McDaniels seems to be the better fit as he can assemble his offensive staff and keep Lovie to oversee that side of the ball. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

I don't have a favorite candidate at this point, I assume it's either Flores or McDaniels. I do know, that I am not in favor or promoting Pep to OC nor am I in favor of promoting Lovie to HC or bringing RAC back as HC. Lovie is an incredible DC, but he got overwhelmed in Chicago as HC. Pep didn't show enough to get a promotion IMO. 

I love the idea of Flores, but that creates a conundrum with Lovie as DC. Both are defensive guys. McDaniels seems to be the better fit as he can assemble his offensive staff and keep Lovie to oversee that side of the ball. 

Pep's development with Mills and Justin Hebert as rookies is enough for me.  

Casserole bringing up that he hopes to find the next Mike Tomlin has to mean Mayo is the guy. 

Which if so I would think he has limited professional coaching ties, so the coaching staff stays intact, with Pep getting the promotion to OC  

People talk about Mayo like they did when Vrabel was just a LB's coach. 

If he can be the leader of men/HC and let his coordinators do their jobs, I'm game. Plus him being no so long removed from the league has to have some pull with the players. 

Edited by lumberjackchris
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I wonder what the odds were that the Texans would hire David Culley at this point last year lol. 

Ultimately, if Caserio picks Mayo, I trust him. In Caserio we trust right? But if he wanted to bring in his own DC, and obviously well be starting over on offense, then its like, what was the point of 2021? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Ultimately, if Caserio picks Mayo, I trust him. In Caserio we trust right?

Eh... I don't know. I don't know.

If Mayo is the choice, then why did he wait three days to fire Culley? Couldn't he have done this on Monday, like every other team?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Eh... I don't know. I don't know.

If Mayo is the choice, then why did he wait three days to fire Culley? Couldn't he have done this on Monday, like every other team?

That's what makes me think Caserio honestly envisioned Culley being able to do a better job, and that Culley actually had the responsibilities of a head coach. Like, it was a tough decision I honestly think it was. 

If nobody was watching, and the Texans could go through the growing pains of Culley figuring out how to call an NFL game without any outside pressure, I think Culley actually might've developed into a really good head coach.. but I think asking Texans fans to suffer through watching him learn and improve at such a painstakingly gradual rate is too much to ask of us. 

I just hope Cesario is as good at picking coaches as his players, because I cant help but feel like Culley is a Casserole Special: signing a guy and cutting him the minute things look bad

I do feel like if you can get a quality Coach, you might as well cut bait though.

18 minutes ago, tab said:

I just hope Cesario is as good at picking coaches as his players, because I cant help but feel like Culley is a Casserole Special: signing a guy and cutting him the minute things look bad

I do feel like if you can get a quality Coach, you might as well cut bait though.

Culley was hired because we struck out on a quality coach and so we did Culley a solid. People talking like we did him wrong but he was not qualified for the job and we made him rich heading into retirement. 

it was never a long term solution. We allowed him to live out a dream for a year. We did Culley a favor and now we have the chance to hire a long term solution. 

• Like 1