2022 Head Coach Thread

LORK88

26 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

But at least Ward is young enough that it could be a long term solution, that was never gonna be the case with Culley 

It's less about the age for me, more about the inexperience in the heat of the moment. 

Culley was absolutely overwhelmed in-game, that has nothing to do with age and everything to do with being massively under qualified.

Ward has upside due to his age, sure - but some of his learning curve would be painful to watch.

1 minute ago, OzzyTexan said:

Considering the candidates out there I was thinking as a fan I would love to get Demeco Ryans... but I don't think it's going to happen. Ryans was a fan favourite when he played here and a good leader. I love to see him lead our team to success.

This is exactly why I don't want him. I Iike him too much, and I don't want him to have to struggle to squeeze out four wins from this team and start off on a bad foot.

Maybe in 2023 or 2024...

9 hours ago, amazingandre said:

I haven't heard anything related to Texans regarding Byron. He has been linked to interviews upcoming with Chicago and possibly Jacksonville. 

I almost feel Leftwich to Jax makes the most sense... that being said.... Jacksonville happens

Plus Eberflus got a 2nd interview there

• Like 1

Uh oh

The Giants requested a second interview with 49ers assistant GM Adam Peters for their general-manager vacancy.

Peters joins Bills assistant GM Joe Schoen and Chiefs executive director of player personnel Ryan Poles as three known finalists for the Giants' GM job. As MMQB's Albert Breer pointed out, Peters and ex-Dolphins coach Brian Flores came up with the Patriots together and could be a pair with the Giants.

6 hours ago, jch1911 said:

I almost feel Leftwich to Jax makes the most sense... that being said.... Jacksonville happens

Plus Eberflus got a 2nd interview there

This is kind of weird, but I hate it when former players go to coach their old teams. It tends to never work out and then it's awkward when you need to move on, but don't want to be disrespectful. It happened with Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech, Scott Frost at Nebraska, and Frank Lampard at Chelsea to name a few. It rarely ends well and just creates a weird situation.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Requested permission to interview Rams OC Kevin O'Connell.  Of course he has that Patriots connection being drafted in the 3rd round by them in 08.  

Another young coach who hasn't been a HC before. We've officially figured out Caserio's type. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

Requested permission to interview Rams OC Kevin O'Connell.  Of course he has that Patriots connection being drafted in the 3rd round by them in 08.  

This would get me pretty amped up. His playing days might be Patriots, but his coaching chops are all Sean McVay.

Look at what Zac Taylor is doing in Cincinnati, or what Matt LaFluer is doing in Green Bay. The Sean McVay tree bears a lot of fruit, grab one if you can. This would be a SIGNIFICANT win, O'Connell might vault Flores on my dance card.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LORK88 said:

This is kind of weird, but I hate it when former players go to coach their old teams. It tends to never work out and then it's awkward when you need to move on, but don't want to be disrespectful. It happened with Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech, Scott Frost at Nebraska, and Frank Lampard at Chelsea to name a few. It rarely ends well and just creates a weird situation.

But does it ever happen in the nfl? If so it’s extremely rare. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:31 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Culley was hired because we struck out on a quality coach and so we did Culley a solid. People talking like we did him wrong but he was not qualified for the job and we made him rich heading into retirement. 

it was never a long term solution. We allowed him to live out a dream for a year. We did Culley a favor and now we have the chance to hire a long term solution. 

WOW.....there is so much wrong with these statements......I just don't even know how to process this.

"Culley has 45 years of coaching experience in both collegiate and professional levels, including 27 years of NFL assistant coaching experience. He coached his way up the ranks, serving under Sam Wyche, Bill Cowher, Andy Ried, Sean McDermont and John Harbaugh"

IF he's not qualified in your mind.....what makes a coach qualified, because its obviously not experience and the ability to develop players?

• Like 1