2022 Head Coach Thread

LORK88

26 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

IF he's not qualified in your mind.....what makes a coach qualified, because its obviously not experience and the ability to develop players?

He didn't do any of these things, though.

We can all read a resume, and he worked alongside some sharp people.

Doesn't make him sharp.

8 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

WOW.....there is so much wrong with these statements......I just don't even know how to process this.

"Culley has 45 years of coaching experience in both collegiate and professional levels, including 27 years of NFL assistant coaching experience. He coached his way up the ranks, serving under Sam Wyche, Bill Cowher, Andy Ried, Sean McDermont and John Harbaugh"

IF he's not qualified in your mind.....what makes a coach qualified, because its obviously not experience and the ability to develop players?

Not OP, but my assumption is that he means that he was never qualified to be a head coach. Through 45 years of experience, He was an OC once in college in 1989. He was never a head coach at any level nor was he a successful coordinator in the NFL at any time. Just because someone is a good employee doesn't mean they'll be a great boss.  I don't feel like we did Culley a solid outside of him getting $22 million for 1 season as head coach as he was clearly set up for failure, but he had to be very aware that he was walking into a disastrous situation. It's a reason why so many of us didn't mind us parting ways with him, but respect the hell out of what he did this season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

This would get me pretty amped up. His playing days might be Patriots, but his coaching chops are all Sean McVay.

Look at what Zac Taylor is doing in Cincinnati, or what Matt LaFluer is doing in Green Bay. The Sean McVay tree bears a lot of fruit, grab one if you can. This would be a SIGNIFICANT win, O'Connell might vault Flores on my dance card.

As long as we pair him with a good, experienced DC like Lovie, I'm all for this. That seems to be the winning formula; bright, young HC with an offensive background paired with an experienced DC (bonus points for being a previous HC). Here's how I rank the prospects we've interviewed so far: 

1. Kevin O'Connell
The more I think about it, I'm with ET on this one. Young, up-and-coming offensive coordinator who we could pair with Lovie on defense has the potential to be exciting and take this team to the next level. Yes, it'd take a year or two for him to get going, but I think with our roster what it is currently, the team and O'Connell would improve and grow at the same time to where we could see a massive jump in his second or third year. 

2. Brian Flores
It's hard to not get excited seeing what he did with the Dolphins when they were in complete rebuild mode. He never made the playoffs, but he greatly over-achieved during his time there. The only thing that makes me hesitate is my buddy's comments which reinforce the Miami Herald article (hard to work with, some players couldn't stand him, jerk to media, but great coach). O'Connell takes number 1 because he doesn't have that doubt about him. 

3. Jonathan Gannon
The more I read up on him, the better I feel about him possibly being a head coach. He's inexperienced as a coordinator and you can poke holes in how his defense performed this year, but a lot of players and coaches seem to swear by him. I still have hesitations about him being young with 1 year as a defensive coordinator, but I think he could make it work and be a solid hire. Bonus points that he's the bad guy from every Zelda game. 
EDIT: Here's a great article about Gannon

4. Joe Lombardi 
In the words of Marie Kondo, this hiring "would not spark joy". It's great he's a Lombardi and his coaching resume is fine, there just isn't anything that makes me think "great hire". Lombardi would be an acceptable hire, especially when you think about Davis Mills potential improvement under Lombardi, but I just don't know how much this would really move us forward.

5. Hines Ward
Way too inexperienced. Great player and could be a great head coach one day, but he needs more experience. Going from a Dwight Schrute role at a C-USA college to being a head coach in the NFL is a ridiculous jump that would be overwhelming to say the least. We'll watch his career with great interest, but now is not the time to bring him on. 

Edited by LORK88
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, LORK88 said:

As long as we pair him with a good, experienced DC like Lovie, I'm all for this. That seems to be the winning formula; bright, young HC with an offensive background paired with an experienced DC (bonus points for being a previous HC). Here's how I rank the prospects we've interviewed so far: 

1. Kevin O'Connell
The more I think about it, I'm with ET on this one. Young, up-and-coming offensive coordinator who we could pair with Lovie on defense has the potential to be exciting and take this team to the next level. Yes, it'd take a year or two for him to get going, but I think with our roster what it is currently, the team and O'Connell would improve and grow at the same time to where we could see a massive jump in his second or third year. 

2. Brian Flores
It's hard to not get excited seeing what he did with the Dolphins when they were in complete rebuild mode. He never made the playoffs, but he greatly over-achieved during his time there. The only thing that makes me hesitate is my buddy's comments which reinforce the Miami Herald article (hard to work with, some players couldn't stand him, jerk to media, but great coach). O'Connell takes number 1 because he doesn't have that doubt about him. 

3. Jonathan Gannon
The more I read up on him, the better I feel about him possibly being a head coach. He's inexperienced as a coordinator and you can poke holes in how his defense performed this year, but a lot of players and coaches seem to swear by him. I still have hesitations about him being young with 1 year as a defensive coordinator, but I think he could make it work and be a solid hire. Bonus points that he's the bad guy from every Zelda game. 
EDIT: Here's a great article about Gannon

4. Joe Lombardi 
In the words of Marie Kondo, this hiring "would not spark joy". It's great he's a Lombardi and his coaching resume is fine, there just isn't anything that makes me think "great hire". Lombardi would be an acceptable hire, especially when you think about Davis Mills potential improvement under Lombardi, but I just don't know how much this would really move us forward.

5. Hines Ward
Way too inexperienced. Great player and could be a great head coach one day, but he needs more experience. Going from a Dwight Schrute role at a C-USA college to being a head coach in the NFL is a ridiculous jump that would be overwhelming to say the least. We'll watch his career with great interest, but now is not the time to bring him on. 

Of those we have confirmed interviews with already, I like this list and agree, O'Connell would be my top guy. Still hoping for an interview with Hackett and Leftwich. 

• Like 1

For the record, this McCown interview confirms one thing for me:

At this point, you have to give me hard evidence that demonstrates Jack Easterby is not running this entire franchise... like, actual video of Nick Caserio telling Jack what to do.

To think, I was actually getting excited about this team again. I guess I need to thank Jack and Cal for making it transparent for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Jack Easterby is the least of my concerns.

You and I will never agree on this, I guess.

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Our AD was on the headsets this year on the team I coach and it caused a lot of friction between him and the head coach during games. 

I mean, Caserio was on the headset with Bill Belicheck when New England was doing their thing. It didn't seem to impact Belicheck doing what he did.

Would you rather a GM sitting in the owners box and playing the political game with the owner, a la Rick Smith?

45 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

My source said McCown turned down the job last year because it wasn’t the right time. (His son is a Sr and just finished his HS football career) I think now that he’s odd to Colorado for college football, now might be the time and McCown is the new HC

I.h8.it.here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

I.h8.it.here.

I'm sincerely hoping this is false. If McCown is HC, you can kiss Pep as OC and Lovie as DC away - neither of these guys want a HS coach as their boss.

This franchise is such a joke...