2022 Head Coach Thread

LORK88

4 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Per texanschat poster (LawHorn 06)... take with a grain of salt

Got some late-breaking stuff from my minority owner friend, who put some context to the competing narratives we saw play out in the media yesterday. Basically, Easterby wants McCown, and Caserio likes Gannon (and a few others). Easterby is leaking **** to try to pump up McCown, and Caserio is countering by pumping up other candidates. The hope is that Caserio wins this battle, but with Cal lapping up every turd that falls from Easterby’s ***, it’s not a foregone conclusion. Apparently Easterby thought that the concept would play out very differently in the public sphere, which just goes to show how ******* naive the guy is, and how reprehensible it is that he’s a football executive at all.

if this is true i don't know if i can watch this team anymore

On 1/22/2022 at 7:41 PM, OzzyTexan said:

Yeah despite the stuff that has happened over the past few years there has been absolutely no sentiment that Easterby and Caserio have ever butted heads. Even Easterby and O'Brien for that matter (and OB seemed to have conflict with everyone except Devlin lol). Easterby brought Caserio here and I'm not buying anything that suggests that they're not on the same page. Like Caserio is on radio this week defending Easterby and now I'm to believe there is a power struggle over who should be the HC between the two. Give me a break. 

I also just can't take something from a texanschat poster from (LawHorn 06) as truth. This is not a reliable source in my opinion. Let's see if more comes out about this. I'll wait for it.

I guess I can't really refute anything here, but I'm also not giving them any sort of benefit - it could be speculation, or there could be something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I guess I can't really refute anything here, but I'm also not giving them any sort of benefit - it could be speculation, or there could be something. 

That's my thought too. The fact that we're even considering it as a possibility says everything you need to know about Jack Easterby. 

• Like 2

There’s is still some time that can change my thoughts on this, but I have to say I’m really disappointed in this coaching search. I don’t get how they can not be reaching out to people like Daboll, Ryans, Hackett, Leftwich, McDaniel (Edit: Mike, not Josh) etc for interviews.

The search so far seems very limited and it makes the fact that they interviewed Ward and McCown pretty ridiculous. I get having a conversation with both of them if you’re casting a wide net, but the fact that 2 of the 5 candidates they have interviewed (they haven’t confirmed that O’Connell was interviewed yet) have no business being a HC right now, while they don’t even reach out to up and coming guys who do, is disappointing. 

Edited by Marco79
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Marco79 said:

There’s is still some time that can change my thoughts on this, but I have to say I’m really disappointed in this coaching search.

1 hour ago, Marco79 said:

There’s is still some time that can change my thoughts on this, but I have to say I’m really disappointed in this coaching search. I don’t get how they can not be reaching out to people like Daboll, Ryans, Hackett, Leftwich, McDaniel (Edit: Mike, not Josh) etc for interviews.

The search so far seems very limited and it makes the fact that they interviewed Ward and McCown pretty ridiculous. I get having a conversation with both of them if you’re casting a wide net, but the fact that 2 of the 5 candidates they have interviewed (they haven’t confirmed that O’Connell was interviewed yet) have no business being a HC right now, while they don’t even reach out to up and coming guys who do, is disappointing. 

It's another example of this FO being woefully out of touch with reality. They continually do this, moves out of left field with no real basis that their decisions will work, then pat themselves on the back for making such a decision.

For once, I'd like to see them do something normal. I'm not a fan of Dan Quinn at all, but I'd celebrate in the streets if the team hired him - simply because it was a normal decision.

Jonathan Gannon looks and feels like a Brandon Staley hire (which really isn't good if you look at how the Chargers underperformed) and Josh McCown feels like a decision that would be worse than David Culley - but it's a move the Texans would consider because it's non-traditional thinking (even if it's a bad idea altogether).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marco79 said:

Several of those guys are still playing and might not want to interview right now. 

it’s been really quiet the last few days. I suspect we make a hire by the first week of February 

13 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Idk about Mccown but I’m in the mood for trying something new, hiring a young guy. Could be hit or miss. 

I'm all for O'Connell, Flores and Gannon (all at or under 40 years old...)

My disapproval of McCown had nothing to do with his age or anything - he's simply not experienced. This isn't the NBA where you can bring in a Steve Nash or Jason Kidd fresh from the court into a suit, you've got to know how to manage 53 players and 30+ coaches/assistants/interns, etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This was when we interviewed him the first time, not the most recent interview...

Yes... but it speaks to the point that the Texans organization had offered to bring him to help him build his bonafides last year.

He turned that down.

But you bring him back for another interview a year later when he has had time to.... (checks notes)... coach a HS football team...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Yes... but it speaks to the point that the Texans organization had offered to bring him to help him build his bonafides last year.

He turned that down.

But you bring him back for another interview a year later when he has had time to.... (checks notes)... coach a HS football team...

I totally agree, just clarifying for @Texansfan713 - the link reads like he rejected the offer THIS year.

Up front, there is absolutely no way anyone can convince me he got an interview because he's friends with Jack Easterby. Had it not been for that relationship, there is absolutely no way whatsoever that McCown interviews for a HC position (at pretty much any level outside of HS, for that matter - there are DIII schools that wouldn't interview McCown).

The level of stupidity in this organization is only topped by the hubris and obliviousness of this organization.

• Like 1