2022 Free Agency

grizmo78

I don't necessarily have a problem with it. Von looked as though he was going to return to STL and Chandler would have been significantly more than this. They needed a pass rusher. I am a bit nervous though. He has a history of missing time, much of which has been due to reckless behavior. There is potential for this to blow up in Denver's face. However, as a football move, I am ok with this. I look for a CB to be the next move. 

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

FWIW, he’s completely out of the NFL’s drug program and they’ve changed the policy since. He’s not a threat to get in trouble for drugs again. At this point it’s just about staying healthy and playing to his high ceiling. 

Which is why I have no quarrel. The potential is always there when he gets a big contract. However, I am ok with the risk. I think I read only like 25 mil is guaranteed, so there is some protection built in to the contract

4 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Gregory was likely the best get we could have this offseason at EDGE. He's not a bonafide #1 but I don't think he's being paid like one either given the lower guarantees. 

I do think George Paton believes he can become a #1 here and that’s why this option was so attractive rather than paying one of the older guys a more expensive deal. He’s an elite talent who has shown he can be an efficient pass rusher, now there’s no excuse for him to not be an every down, 15-17 game starter in Denver. It’s a bold move for sure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It's a big need, but it's also pretty big money.

I'm on the fence, in truth. Wait for the structure of the deal I guess.

It's a move that makes a lot of sense. I would have preferred Lorenzo Carter as a low risk - high reward, but he has much more projection for a team hoping to win a Super Bowl. Jones and Miller are much older and maybe only have 1-2 years of good production before they really fall off which doesn't quite align with the 5-6 years of Russ. Gregory is a good blend of both.

7 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It's a big need, but it's also pretty big money.

I'm on the fence, in truth. Wait for the structure of the deal I guess.

I have no doubt Elway would have done what it takes to get Chandler Jones and eliminated as much risk as possible. Paton just traded for Russell f’n Wilson, he had the cache to bet on a player evaluation and try to get value. I thought Gregory was a top 5 talent coming out of Nebraska and we finally started to see what he was always capable of consistently last year. Reportedly smart, hard working, a family man, a good teammate and was even on the Dallas leadership council last year. 

Ogbah is probably best comparison and he signed 4 years at 16.25/yr with 8mil/yr guaranteed.

Gregory signed 5 years at 14/yr with 5.6mil/yr guaranteed (i've been reading 28mil guaranteed total). 

Overall, Gregory is going for market value imo.

• Like 1

i like that we plugged in a couple of veterans on the dline.  It so needed addressing and now we can mix in a couple of draft picks too.   I get the apprehension about Gregory but it seems he's trying to clean up his act and with only 28 million guaranteed we clearly have safeguarded ourselves.  Have to hope for the best now.....I just want to address our oline in a positive way like Collins and I'd be happy.  Keep Young too - that would be nice :)   

Edited by anewdawn
correction