2022 Free Agency

grizmo78

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Decent depth signing.    Sure tackler.    But he’s a massive liability in pass coverage.   He regained PT when the other ILB’s went down.  Given the skill set it’s why PHI let him walk even though he’d have been cheap to retain.   

No issues given the price but he’s a pure serviceable depth signing.   If he’s starting a lot of games for us Plan A has failed.  

60% of the reason he’s here is special teams, 40% is having depth at LB that isn’t Justin Strnad or Curtis Robinson. It’s a good signing. 

The remaining T / S / CB market seems like it’s entering the value phase.   No coincidence talks with Callahan / Kareem Jackson are gaining traction.  

Wouldn't want either guy at last year’s salaries but seems increasingly likely it’s going to be team friendly.   In that case it’s hard to argue.   Wouldn’t want Jackson back at more than 1 year he’s entering the decline phase.   It’s really insurance against Sterns not being ready (which is smart don’t want to have no plan B).  

As much as I’d love La’el Collins as our RT I think it’s more & more likely Billy Turner gets the nod.   Have to say re-watching the GB games he was a lot better in GB.  With both Hackett and their OL coach and likely a value signing I think there’s more than smoke there.   

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

60% of the reason he’s here is special teams, 40% is having depth at LB that isn’t Justin Strnad or Curtis Robinson. It’s a good signing. 

Yeah no problem at that $ and in that role.   Our ST has to be better can’t compete with bottom 10 ST play.    Just don’t think he’s a realistic starter on a contender D, fine depth guy.   

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Decent depth signing.    Sure tackler.    But he’s a massive liability in pass coverage.   He regained PT when the other ILB’s went down.  Given the skill set it’s why PHI let him walk even though he’d have been cheap to retain.   

No issues given the price but he’s a pure serviceable depth signing.   If he’s starting a lot of games for us Plan A has failed.  

The guy was a monster in the CFL while he was here. 2x all star, and a DPOY award. But yeah, it was all in the run game. Only one pick in 3 seasons, just 4 sacks. Lots and lots and lots of tackles though.

Edited by broncosfan_101

I’m pleased to see Callahan likely coming back but I figured Jackson would be gone. Hopefully it’s a cheap deal with no guaranteed money because I think there’s a decent chance Sterns beats him out and he doesn’t even make the team.

If we get those guys I think we are probably set at DB and ILB. Still want to draft an edge and at least one interior DL. 

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The guy was a monster in the CFL while he was here. 2x all star, and a DPOY award. But yeah, it was all in the run game. Only one pick in 3 seasons, just 4 sacks. Lots and lots and lots of tackles though.

Evero was quoted as saying he’d use a lot more base nickel and dime on pass downs.    May explain the lack of pass coverage ILB prioritization so far.  

Why DJ Jones was such a priority IMO because nickel base with hybrid S/LB doesn’t work if the DL isn’t a stout run anchor.  And why DL likely still gets taken with 1 of our first 2-3 picks.   

Still think ILB goes with our 5 top 120 picks given Singleton / Jewell signed short term.   At Rd3-4 it’s all about roster building for 2023+ except for RB / ST guys.  

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Courtland Sutton has restructured his contract. Denver clearly mortgaging the future to go all in and win now. 

I don’t think they’re mortgaging the future though. Those WR contracts were set up to have the roster bonuses converted into signing bonuses this off-season. You could argue with their 2023-2024 cap hits that Sutton and Patrick will still look underpaid and the cap probably jumps a lot next year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Collins to Cincy.   Really suspect the talk around Billy Turner picks up now.   

I know there is not a lot to complain about in Broncos country nowadays but got dam can they get 2 adult capable Tackles please. I feel like every year is a round robin at RT because they have never went all-in on the position.

I need Bobby Wagner or Stephen Gilmore to soothe my pain now

• Like 1

Collins to the Bengals I thought would happen all along, he did with a Championship at LSU with Burrow and Chase. 

I don't know I think with the 64th pick that the Broncos could reasonably draft a RT.  Why couldn't that happen, along with picking up a guy like Trent Brown?  Trent Brown is a capable OT and is still just 29 years old.  He is younger the Billy Turner. 

I'd like the remaining cap space money to go to signing Gilmore and Kenny Young.  I know everyone want Wagner, but Young to me seems younger and cheaper.