2022 Free Agency

grizmo78

1 hour ago, Orangecrush151 said:

The rest of the cap will come with a cb maybe 2 and possibly kj back. I don’t see another ilb coming and rt I think either turner or maybe Kelly?

Did Massie retire? 

He's as good or better option than lots of names being tossed out. 

Looks like we may be getting a SEA connection at RT with Brandon Shell coming in for a visit and the beat guys indicating it’s a strong possibility a deal gets done.   Imagine it would still be a competition between Shell and Anderson for RT.   

Not sure how much of a competition it would be, Shell has been a starter at RT since he came into the league and Wilson likes him. The problem for Calvin is he’s not a right tackle. He’s the ideal Bolles backup and has played well there in relief. His work on the right side has been less impressive. 

38 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Not sure how much of a competition it would be, Shell has been a starter at RT since he came into the league and Wilson likes him. The problem for Calvin is he’s not a right tackle. He’s the ideal Bolles backup and has played well there in relief. His work on the right side has been less impressive. 

He misses lots of games, which for us isn't that big a deal. Good backups in Bailey and Anderson.

10-12 starts looks like what we'd get. That's okay.

14 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

He misses lots of games, which for us isn't that big a deal. Good backups in Bailey and Anderson.

10-12 starts looks like what we'd get. That's okay.

Also, Tom Compton rated pretty highly as a run blocking RT in San Fran so he can play up to three spots in a reserve role on the line and has recent RT experience. They think they can patchwork the RT position and the gamble could work.

20 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Looks like Browning moving from ILB to OLB....interesting move considering his ILB performance this year. 

Would definitely be one way to beef up the EDGE depth problems.  And it’s far easier to find good ILB’s in the draft than impact EDGE’s.   I see the appeal behind their thinking. 

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Would definitely be one way to beef up the EDGE depth problems.  And it’s far easier to find good ILB’s in the draft than impact EDGE’s.   I see the appeal behind their thinking. 

To me, this draft looks deeper with a lot of talent at the EDGE's but seems like we may be comfortable with our existing ILB depth. Now I wonder if Troy Anderson is on our radar

Edited by Cutler06

12 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

To me, this draft looks deeper with a lot of talent at the EDGE's but seems like we may be comfortable with our existing ILB depth. Now I wonder if Troy Anderson is on our radar

I think we’re going to draft EDGE for sure.   But even then we can only feel good long term with Gregory and who we draft.   Browning / Cooper aren’t locks.   Malik Reed is very much a bubble guy.   Just makes a lot of sense to draft BOTH EDGE and ILB.    I don’t include Chubb because his contract number is far from a given to extend, especially if you can find a guy in draft and Browning can be a top 3 EDGE.   This is the year to find out it Browning can be an EDGE and still draft more EDGE’s.   Reed is very expendable.  

If Browning works as EDGE great.   If not won’t hurt to have ILB depth long term.   Singleton’s a pure 1-year stopgap / ST ace and Jewell’s 2023 salary isn’t guaranteed.   Gives a lot of flexibility and allows Paton to just draft the best talent long term.   

Edited by Broncofan

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think we’re going to draft EDGE for sure.   But even then we can only feel good long term with Gregory and who we draft.   Browning / Cooper aren’t locks.   Malik Reed is very much a bubble guy.   Just makes a lot of sense to draft BOTH EDGE and ILB.    I don’t include Chubb because his contract number is far from a given to extend, especially if you can find a guy in draft and Browning can be a top 3 EDGE.   This is the year to find out it Browning can be an EDGE and still draft more EDGE’s.   Reed is very expendable.  

If Browning works as EDGE great.   If not won’t hurt to have ILB depth long term.   Singleton’s a pure 1-year stopgap / ST ace and Jewell’s 2023 salary isn’t guaranteed.   Gives a lot of flexibility and allows Paton to just draft the best talent long term.   

And I am guessing Wagner is still on the table

I don’t want Browning going to EDGE full time. That would mean that he will sit behind Chubb and Gregory and maybe play 20% of the snaps. However, I wouldn’t be opposed to Browning being a starting ILB and then sliding over to EDGE when one of those guys need a rest (with Singleton coming in to play ILB)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I don’t want Browning going to EDGE full time. That would mean that he will sit behind Chubb and Gregory and maybe play 20% of the snaps. However, I wouldn’t be opposed to Browning being a starting ILB and then sliding over to EDGE when one of those guys need a rest (with Singleton coming in to play ILB)

Didn't Parsons do that in Dallas?

On 3/22/2022 at 3:21 AM, Broncofan said:

Not sure I agree, to be honest. How many times has this actually worked? I.e changing someone who has spent at least a year in the league at ILB, then turning them into a pass rusher? As we all know, it's two totally different positions and different responsibilities.

Browning didn't show much of anything as a blitzer last year, so we know absolutely nothing about his pass rush. I thought he showed flashes of starter potential as an ILB, so this move is very surprising to me.

I sure hope we aren't sitting here in a year's time, hearing stories of him moving back to ILB after wasting a year of his development.

• Like 1