2022 Free Agency

grizmo78

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Risner and Meinerz have the lateral mobility to succeed in the ZBS. Cush does not. Unfortunately, when blocking in zone the unit has to be able to move together so one weak link wrecks the whole thing. Cush is a great dude but we need to draft a replacement. I’ve looked at some tape of the top 10 OC in the draft. 5 have the functional lateral mobility to be a starter in the ZBS I think. Measurements aren’t everything but a 3 cone less than 7.6 is a good place to start. 

1. Tyler Linderbaum. This is a pipe dream. Kid will be a pro bowler by his second year regardless of scheme. Will be long gone by 64.
  2. Can Jurgens. Kid is sooo smooth coming out of his sets. blocks well on the move. His freakish combine results could push him out of our reach.
  3. Alec Lindstrom. NFL bloodlines, great technique. Lacks the sand in his pants that his brother has and can get pushed back at the point of attach in 1:1 pass blocking against the bull rush. A target for one of our 3rds.
  4. Nick Ford. Played all 5 spots in college so he lacks the reps at center. Blocks really well on the move with solid footwork. A target for 115/116.
  5. Luke Wattenberg. Will need at least 2 years in an NFL weight room. The man has no glutes. No anchor. Good hand technique, moves well in space, good field awareness. Easily bowled over with a bull rush. Even if we draft one of the above I would spend one of our 7ths on him because he could develop into a versatile swing backup at the very least 

C certainly won’t cost as much as other spots capital-wise (Linderblom being a notable exception, lot of talk he won’t get past Day 1).  It’s a tall ask for them to start day 1 though.   Still makes it worthwhile to go there but that’s likely the biggest reason Glasgow might stick around.    It’s only a 1-year solution but it’s also a situation where if Cush struggles he allows a 2022 rookie to learn without being baptized by fire.  

I’d imagine Cush/Glasgow are the top 2 on the current depth chart.     Not surprisingly Cush has been working out with Wilson (until you get an upgrade might as well do everything  to build the connection).   But how Paton drafts with the IOL will speak volumes how he & the coaches see Cushenberry’s future with us.  

Edited by Broncofan

45 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Agreed that a rookie likely wouldn’t start day 1, but that doesn’t change the fact that we should address the position. Despite not being a good fit Cush/Glasgow (my moneys on glasgow) is better than anyone still available on the market (unless paradis can squeeze out 1 more injury free season)

Love Paradis when he was with us but yeah his best days are way behind him.   

Right now unless the team is sold on Cush long-term it’s going to be one of the obvious needs next year.   The tricky part is as the roster is better overall can’t stash 2023-ETA guys as easily (recognizing thinking 2023 best way to approach Day 2-3 draft guys).   It’s why if we go with a C-capable guy with one of our first 4-5 picks in that top 120 that’s going to speak volumes on how much faith they have in Cush.  

In a perfect world DL/EDGE/T/C/ILB (easier to find Rd 4-5) all get targeted for 2023.   The trick will be how to mix in rosterability where the current-year depth makes it challenging.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

My favorite Bronco of the Fangio years is back on a 1 year deal. 

This is good news. Jackson is not quite what he once was , but can still fly downhill to make a play and bust some chops. I like it 

One year deal done in April.   Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a bargain rate (same or less than last year).   Sterns looks like the future but this doesn’t change that and just offers insurance if he’s not ready.    

Kareem is showing signs of slowing down but at 1 year assuming it’s bargain rate season seems totally fine.   The roster depth on this team this year is miles ahead from past years.  

7 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I am actually quite surprised by this one. I thought we'd turn it over to Sterns this year. My opinion was Jackson really fell off last year and the injuries started to kick in.

I have a feeling Jackson is going to be a sub-package guy when it's all said and done. If I read it right, the contract is pretty incentive-based. I think Jackson is cooked, personally. He can still hit hard, but people are equating that with him being this amazing safety. He can't play two-high anymore. 

12 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I have a feeling Jackson is going to be a sub-package guy when it's all said and done. If I read it right, the contract is pretty incentive-based. I think Jackson is cooked, personally. He can still hit hard, but people are equating that with him being this amazing safety. He can't play two-high anymore. 

The deal is apparently 1 year / 5M max.   So at best it’s the same but more likely it’s less.   Like say 1/3M+ with bonuses.   The fact he couldn’t find a better deal reinforces the idea he’s being seen more as a package guy.  

He’s definitely lost a step in space.   But you still want depth on the roster if you want to contend.   I would have been fine if we didn’t re-sign Jackson but hard to be down on that at the price and lack of commitment beyond 2022. 

Edited by Broncofan

Was thinking it was a "bit of coincidence" that Browning's tryout at OLB was announced just a few days after Gregory's shoulder surgery was revealed.....I liked what I saw of him at ILB last year but this could be trying to mold him in the Micah Parsons role.

Edited by Cutler06

12 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Was thinking it was a "bit of coincidence" that Browning's tryout at OLB was announced just a few days after Gregory's shoulder surgery was revealed.....I liked what I saw of him at ILB last year but this could be trying to mold him in the Micah Parsons role.

As a follow-up - DAL even went out of their way to confirm that Parsons wouldn't be a full-time EDGE.     It would be a big surprise to see Browning switch full-time.   EDGE versatility is a great way to create mismatches with speed/burst ILB's, but it's a pretty select group (Parson/Reddick being the recent examples).

Re: Gregory, the success rates with return to prior level of play for the other positions is excellent, near 100 percent (unless you're a QB/WR/TE).     Getting it done now also lets him be pretty much full systems go for TC.   I would be surprised if that was a driver for Browning to get EDGE looks - think more it's how to leverage Browning's tools, and the lack of EDGE depth overall, and a way to create more looks for the D.