2022 Free Agency

grizmo78

Some offensive FA’s I’d like to see us look at:

Raheem Mostert is a good outside zone runner. He’s had injury problems, so he’s certainly not gonna get paid like a starter, but I think he’s a good option to be Javonte’s 1B. 

Gerald Everett seemed to click with Russ over the 2nd half of last season, catching 34 balls in his last 8 games after Russ returned from injury. 

Morgan Moses is a decent RT. He was pretty good in Mike LaFleur’s offence last season, which I assume is pretty heavy outside zone. Clean injury history, but he is on the wrong side of 30.

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Raheem Mostert is a good outside zone runner. He’s had injury problems, so he’s certainly not gonna get paid like a starter, but I think he’s a good option to be Javonte’s 1B. 

Gerald Everett seemed to click with Russ over the 2nd half of last season, catching 34 balls in his last 8 games after Russ returned from injury. 

Morgan Moses is a decent RT. He was pretty good in Mike LaFleur’s offence last season, which I assume is pretty heavy outside zone. Clean injury history, but he is on the wrong side of 30.

Moses would be a nice pick up for the right side. I wonder if they’re finally willing to give the keys to Calvin Anderson though. 

On that same sentiment, we’ll probably bring in a vet safety. I doubt we’ll give the SS spot to Sterns without competition. There are a good amount of younger safeties available too. 

If Von doesn’t come back, Lorenzo Carter is an interesting low risk high reward potential at OLB

32 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Moses would be a nice pick up for the right side. I wonder if they’re finally willing to give the keys to Calvin Anderson though. 

On that same sentiment, we’ll probably bring in a vet safety. I doubt we’ll give the SS spot to Sterns without competition. There are a good amount of younger safeties available too. 

If Von doesn’t come back, Lorenzo Carter is an interesting low risk high reward potential at OLB

The other guy who will cost more but who has big upside is Haason Reddick.  Still in his prime.   

Chandler Jones is the other big name but I’d prefer Von to Jones.   Von still plays at a higher level than Jones, who’s starting to show signs of decline.   Von is too - but his starting baseline was just that high (and Jones was a great prime player too just Von that much better in his prime).  

Re: RT I think a guy like Moses would be great.   You can’t have enough depth.   If Anderson wins the job great.   But still want a swing T can’t just depend on starters staying healthy.   LAR having Noteboom play well when Whitworth missed his playoff game was massive in their SB run.  Depth matters on contenders.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Problem with Everett is he’s a pure move TE.   Likely need an inline guy.   Let Albert O eat in the move TE role. 

A guy who could do both is Mo Alie-Cox. Great RZ weapon and his improved blocking a big reason (along with that great OL) behind Jonathan Taylor’s success.   

Edited by Broncofan

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Problem with Everett is he’s a pure move TE.   Likely need an inline guy.   Let Albert O eat in the move TE role. 

I like Albert O a lot, but I’m hesitant to gift the guy a featured role with 44 career receptions. Hell, Everett had more catches than that just in 2021.

1 minute ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I like Albert O a lot, but I’m hesitant to gift the guy a featured role with 44 career receptions. Hell, Everett had more catches than that just in 2021.

Fair but getting 2 move TE doesn’t match nearly as well as a guy who can thrive inline.  Then you can get both guys on the field a lot more easily.   I absolutely think we should get a 2nd TE who can catch the ball just ideally it’s a guy who can do the inline work too. 

5 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Von Miller, Gronk and Wagner please #AllIn

Unless Wagner takes a big pay cut I’d easily pass.   He’s a sure tackler but he’s lost a step from his excellent level of play.  That rarely improves.  His tackles are happening further downfield - he’s not getting to the hole / ball carrier as quickly.  

Wagner’s TFL were way down the last 2 years - IIRC it was 3 last year.   The eye test shows the same.    This is despite the fact their DL was very effective vs. the run.   In coverage he’s nowhere near the same - RB & TE’s killed SEA D in the pass game the last 2-3 years.   

Wagner is a sure fire HOF.   But he’s not anywhere near the same guy.   

This went under the radar a bit when we were debating the QBs but our defense is looking a bit bare. Honestly, the only guys under contract that we are probably comfortable with starting in 2022 are:

Dre’Mont Jones DE

Mike Purcell NT

Bradley Chubb OLB

Baron Browning ILB

Patrick Surtain CB

Ronald Darby CB

Justin Simmons FS

We really need another DE, an edge, an ILB (resign Jewell/Young?), nickel CB, SS