2022 Free Agency

grizmo78

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

This went under the radar a bit when we were debating the QBs but our defense is looking a bit bare. Honestly, the only guys under contract that we are probably comfortable with starting in 2022 are:

Dre’Mont Jones DE

Mike Purcell NT

Bradley Chubb OLB

Baron Browning ILB

Patrick Surtain CB

Ronald Darby CB

Justin Simmons FS

We really need another DE, an edge, an ILB (resign Jewell/Young?), nickel CB, SS 

I would not fret as it looks like we have plenty of cap space. I am really hoping we still keep Kenny Young.  I loved him in the middle with Browning. Things changed on defense when those two were paired together.  And I am hoping Inferno's Rams connection with Kenny keeps in Denver.  What I am concerned with is I think we need another CB.  I'd put some chips towards JC...JC, and Surtain...awesome sauce. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

They need to kill in FA. IMO the defense is pretty damn far away from being very good. 

Like 60% of this is just finding the edge rusher IMO. I don’t think it will cost much to build a competent DL. Re-signing Jewell gives you the baseline of LB play you need and probably won’t cost much. The secondary should be a strength and you have a chance to build on that. 

They absolutely have to get an edge rusher when FA opens and they should also target one on Day 2 of the draft. 

22 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Even after absorbing Russ's contract, we still have $26 million in cap space. The potential exists to not only extend and restructure his contract, but also doing some tweaking to the contracts of Bolles, Sutton and extending Chubb long-term. 

George Paton is incredible. 

If they are getting the go ahead from Ellis to spend, they will have the flexibility to do whatever they want and sign 2-3 expensive free agents. But it will come down to cash liquidity. You’d love to have the ultra-wealthy owner in place right now for this kind of opportunity. The Broncos have been a little more conservative over the years in these spots but maybe Ellis is just saying “**** it” now. 

• Like 1

I think the big $ signing is going to be an EDGE - the real Q is whether it's Haason Reddick, Von or Chandler Jones.   I'd be concerned if it was Jones.   Von is a choice I won't have any problem with, but taking sentiment out of it, Reddick is the ideal target - age 27, so he'd likely be at peak for the next 3-4 years, and he's really improved the last 2 years.    Chubb is absolutely a guy you need a better EDGE to pair him with.   The unheralded target I'd do cartwheels if we got would be LAC's Nwosu.   REALLY coming on in 2H of this year.    Similar skill set to Harold Landry.    Not surprisingly the Chargers would like to retain him (frankly I think they'd have been better off spending on D than retaining Mike Williams).   Having said that, I think he's staying in LAC, but us getting him would hurt them and help us.

ILB-wise, I have no problem if we bring back Jewell, but I would be thrilled if we got Kenny Young back at reasonable prices.    Devondre Campbell would be expensive, but he'd be a disruptor in the middle.   Having said that, we likely would go high $ on 2 players, so we do have to pick and choose.

DL & S, I think we can go mid-tier, and get value.   

On O, besides Moses as a RT, I think we have to get a 3rd T no matter if we think Calvin Anderson is the answer.    I think we can upgrade on Massie TBH.   Definitely should spend 1 of the 6 picks we have in the 60-120 range on a developmental RT.

For TE - 2 inline targets I'd consider - Mo Alie-Cox, and yes, the guy that was debated about moving up on in 2017 - OJ Howard.    Fortunately, the price is a LOT lower - he never fulfilled on his 1st round promise in Tampa Bay (partly because they went Gronk when his window to take over opened up) - but he's a massive dual threat.   If the $ is insane, I get why he'd pass.

Overall, I hope we can spend wisely, and go top-of-market only for an EDGE, and maybe 1 guy.   We MIGHT get really strong by having the "Peyton" effect with Wilson as our QB - FA's wanting to come to Denver, and willing to take less $ (and shorter deals) to both win, but also bet on themselves in a better market for their services in 1-2 more years (and that means they won't be elite tier FA's, but guys we want, with upside, who could be absolute bargains if they realize on their promise - think Manny Sanders from Pittsburgh in 2014, or Darian Stewart from Houston in 2015.

17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Depends on cost, but he's another interesting ILB target.

I’m just not as concerned with LB especially now that we have a defense that will play more dime than Vic. We can get a solid starter on the cheap here. Browning showed he has a chance to fill one spot for 7-10 years. 

36 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’m just not as concerned with LB especially now that we have a defense that will play more dime than Vic. We can get a solid starter on the cheap here. Browning showed he has a chance to fill one spot for 7-10 years. 

Agree, which is why I don't think Campbell is a priority.   Hicks just might not be that pricey entering his age-30 season, so he might fit that value tier.   If the $ is too high, not a priority either.  Just helps with him adding to the ILB depth in FA for options.

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Agree, which is why I don't think Campbell is a priority.   Hicks just might not be that pricey entering his age-30 season, so he might fit that value tier.   If the $ is too high, not a priority.  Just helps add to the ILB depth in FA for options.

Jewell for cheap on a 2 year deal is the sensible move if they can make it happen IMO. He can be the leader in the middle and he understands coverage.