2022 Free Agency

grizmo78

59 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

IMO you're completely wrong on Meinerz. I've never seen a kid improve as much as he did game by game. He's by far the best IOL we've got. Hopefully the Cush experiment is over. Draft a great OG and move Meinerz to Center or draft a great center. RT seems to get all the attention but if we can't slow down the A gap pressure we're toast to any good defense. The Bills for one will eat us alive. 

He improved a lot and made huge lanes in the running game but our guard play in the passing game was lackluster and Cush was better last year than he was his rookie year. I think a lot of people also get too caught up in the personality of meinerz and the hoopla. Road grader in the running game for sure, lots of work to do the passing game. If we like him at center more than Cush than so be it but Cush improved a lot last year. Open competition between the 2 for the center spot and bring someone in so Glasgow can be a backup at both C/G spots

8 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Has Harris even played 10 games for LA?

He's smoked dude. Consistently picked on his last year here and I saw him a couple times last year and definitely would be 3rd or 4th best CB on this team which I suppose is better than nothing but still not desirable. 

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

He's smoked dude. Consistently picked on his last year here and I saw him a couple times last year and definitely would be 3rd or 4th best CB on this team which I suppose is better than nothing but still not desirable. 

This is one reunion we should avoid.  He’s nowhere close to the same CHJ we enjoyed watching.  Father Time remains undefeated. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Callahan is still really effective in the slot, so I’d welcome him back. Obviously, given his injury history, you’d need to invest other resources into the position as a backup plan. I think Darious Williams would be a great fit, and his ties to Evero can’t hurt. 

I just think he’s one who will price himself out of Denver’s market with our need to spend on an edge rusher. Maybe a different story if Ellis gives the go-ahead to spend and we get 3-4 guys restructuring. 

They could look at Donte Deayon for a cheaper option, he played some nickel snaps down the stretch for the Rams and would make sense as a complement to a Callahan signing.

Edited by BroncoBruin

Re: Meinerz it’s year 2.   No guaranteees but I would still be really high on his development.    Risner going back to a ZBS hopefully we see him bounce back.

If we had unlimited resources sure target IOL in FA.  But even before we signed Wilson I wouldn’t have worried about IOL but upgrading RT is a must IMO.  Realistically you’re not getting a starting RT from the draft.  Even if Anderson is our guy we have no swing T we feel good about.  And Calvin Anderson isn’t a lock (but I’m very hopeful).    It's bad team construction to bank on hope alone, though, no matter how much it's warranted.

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Remember Dennis Kelly was the other finalist for the RT spot last summer. Sebastian Joseph-Day would be a great signing. 

Joseph-Day would be a fantastic replacement for Harris.    Glue guy, absolute anchor piece vs. the run, and can get some push as a complementary inside rusher (but not a force on his own).

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Welp… Khalil Mack back in the AFC West. We are going to need a better RT. 

Kelly's OK, but I would aim higher.   Morgan Moses is a much better target for sure.

The other ripple effect - I would expect LAC will let Nwosu hit the market.   THAT is an EDGE to target, wouldn't prevent us from getting 2 in FA, either.   He came on strong in 2H of last year.   REALLY underrated guy.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Welp… Khalil Mack back in the AFC West. We are going to need a better RT. 

He’s an upgrade over Nwosu, for sure. But at the same time, he hasn’t been a dominant defender since 2018. I really don’t like the idea of him lined up in the same defense as Bosa because he’ll get a lot of 1v1 situations, but it could have been worse. 

Yeah, Mack’s numbers show a pretty clear decline after 2018. It’s pretty good work for the Bears to unload all of his money and get a 2nd back. 

Doesn’t mean he and Bosa can’t be a scary combo when they’re both healthy but this isn’t the worst result knowing they were going after an edge rusher. There’s some “name brand” analysis going on with Mack. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

Mack is still a beast. I wouldn't underestimate the difference of being the #2 point of emphasis on the line either. What a great/smart trade for the Chargers and they still have plenty of cap to add to that defense. This division is a blood bath and reminds me of the arms race the NFC West had a couple years ago. If the AFC West doesn't represent the AFC in the Super Bowl, I'll be surprised.