2022 Free Agency

grizmo78

A huge silver lining to not having any draft picks until 2.32 is that Paton will be under no preconceptions that he’ll find any day one starters in the draft. That means the mindset for free agency will be aggressive, no question. He’ll be hunting for multiple starters from the opening buzzer. 

On the flip side of that coin, this should also allow Paton to hunt for values in the draft. In theory, the starters should be more or less ready to go beforehand, so roster needs shouldn’t be much of a consideration with any of our picks. You never *want* to consider needs at the draft, but before the trade, would you maybe pass on a guy like Travon Walker at 1.9 because it’s a deep edge draft, even though he’s your BPA? Either way, that’s no longer the case! Huge. 

• Like 1

Isn’t Chandler Jones way past his best, Reddick is going to command an absolutely insane amount of money and Gregory is one bad night out away from being kicked out of the league for a season?

I’d rather have Uchenna Nwosu, Von Miller, Melvin Ingram, Jadeveon Clowney or Jerry Hughes over Gregory at their likely price points. 

Jones I like as long as there’s not much guaranteed money after the first year or two. Decent stats last year but that’s largely driven by the first game where he went nuts.

Reddick would be an awesome signing but I think he will go for like $25m+ AAV. I would guess that Paton will let someone else overpay him. 

Allbright lists the following positions as targets in FA:

Edge (One of Jones/Reddick/Gregory)

DL (Sebastian Joseph-Day)

RT (Dennis Kelly)

CB (Callahan and Harris Jr)

I wonder if that signals a vote of confidence in Caden Sterns. I would guess Kareem Jackson isn’t coming back after he kinda lost a step last year, so if we aren’t out there looking at safeties then I think they’re confident in Sterns to make the leap.

I also think Josey Jewell will be back. 

• Like 1

Sneaky situation to watch is Danielle Hunter. Minnesota needs to do something with his contract by next week, which could mean anything between releasing him and a contract extension. This is the guy Paton owes a lot of his reputation to, and one of the Vikings’ best draft picks of the Spielman regime. Paton pounded the table for him. That matters. That’s something to watch in the next few days. He’s had terrible injury luck two years in a row, but he’s also only 28.

And there will be other Pro Bowl caliber pass rushers hitting the market by next week. The cap is about to explode, but teams who signed bad contracts in 2019-2020 are up against a crunch, so a lot of good players who teams couldn’t afford are going to be released. It’s a great opportunity for the rich to get richer. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Sneaky situation to watch is Danielle Hunter. Minnesota needs to do something with his contract by next week, which could mean anything between releasing him and a contract extension. This is the guy Paton owes a lot of his reputation to, and one of the Vikings’ best draft picks of the Spielman regime. Paton pounded the table for him. That matters. That’s something to watch in the next few days. He’s had terrible injury luck two years in a row, but he’s also only 

Hunter is due an $18.5m roster bonus in a week's time - you have to think that the Vikes will shy away from paying that.

My predictions:

DE/OLB Danielle Hunter (Cut by Vikings) - One year $12.5m prove it deal 

DT Sebastian Joseph-Day (Rams) - Three years $24m

CB Bryce Callahan (Re-sign) - One year $5m

CB Chris Harris Jr (Chargers) - One year $3.5m

ILB Josey Jewell (Re-sign) - One year $3m

OT Dennis Kelly (Packers) - One year $1.5m

Pay Russell Wilson and restructure Ronald Darby to make cap room 

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Sneaky situation to watch is Danielle Hunter. Minnesota needs to do something with his contract by next week, which could mean anything between releasing him and a contract extension. This is the guy Paton owes a lot of his reputation to, and one of the Vikings’ best draft picks of the Spielman regime. Paton pounded the table for him. That matters. That’s something to watch in the next few days. He’s had terrible injury luck two years in a row, but he’s also only 

And there will be other Pro Bowl caliber pass rushers hitting the market by next week. The cap is about to explode, but teams who signed bad contracts in 2019-2020 are up against a crunch, so a lot of good players who teams couldn’t afford are going to be released. It’s a great opportunity for the rich to get richer. 

Keep in mind the ability to restructure or even extend with voidable years will allow a lot of teams to increase their cap space to sign FA and keep their core.    Obviously it pushes the problem down the road so only legitimate contenders will take this route.   But it’s likely going to happen soon.  

It used to be a terrible practice because you could only avoid the problem for 2+ seasons.  And why Elway avoided this route until 2018.    But the voidable-year extension changes the game, when combined with restructures, this now can easily push the final butchers bill 4+ years.   That’s a big reason we see more teams willing to go there now.  The key being teams being legit contenders wishing to extend their window to go for it.   

For teams like MIN that may be going to rebuild (first by trading Cousins) though making the cuts and solving their cap troubles now during a non competitive year is definitely in play.  Hunter is one of the names to look out for sure. 

Edited by Broncofan

Big yes to Joseph-Day. Would be awesome to land him. Big no to CHJ. He's completely cooked. Lotta casuals want him back based on name recognition and nothing else.

Denver also needs to address TE. There's some obvious holes to plug with FA players, but we need someone alongside Albert O. Would love to grab Ertz on a 1-year deal if we could.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Big yes to Joseph-Day. Would be awesome to land him. Big no to CHJ. He's completely cooked. Lotta casuals want him back based on name recognition and nothing else.

Denver also needs to address TE. There's some obvious holes to plug with FA players, but we need someone alongside Albert O. Would love to grab Ertz on a 1-year deal if we could.

I’d only want Harris back as a cheap 4th CB/locker room guy. We are going to be running a lot of dime so will need depth which he can provide.

Agree on the TE point. Okwuegbunam is a great move TE weapon but we also need an in line TE who can be a check down option and a good blocker. My favourite option would be Gronk, but I’m not sure we want to pay him the money he would command. I’m not convinced we don’t just re-sign Eric Saubert as a pure blocking tight end and maybe a draft pick as well. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

I’d only want Harris back as a cheap 4th CB/locker room guy. We are going to be running a lot of dime so will need depth which he can provide.

Agree on the TE point. Okwuegbunam is a great move TE weapon but we also need an in line TE who can be a check down option and a good blocker. My favourite option would be Gronk, but I’m not sure we want to pay him the money he would command. I’m not convinced we don’t just re-sign Eric Saubert as a pure blocking tight end and maybe a draft pick as well. 

I mentioned it earlier, but I'd repeat for inline TE's, the 2 FA's that would fit the bill are Alie-Cox and OJ Howard.   Obviously if they get insane $ offers, not as enticing.   I do think Saubert is likely back, ideally he's back as our 3rd TE.  

As far as a draft TE, sign me up if it's a Day 3 pick - but those guys are almost certainly going to be year 2+ contributors best-case.    The jump from college to NFL is so steep for inline-capable TE's.

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I mentioned it earlier, but I'd repeat for inline TE's, the 2 FA's that would fit the bill are Alie-Cox and OJ Howard.   Obviously if they get insane $ offers, not as enticing.   I do think Saubert is likely back, ideally he's back as our 3rd TE.  

As far as a draft TE, sign me up if it's a Day 3 pick - but those guys are almost certainly going to be year 2+ contributors best-case.    The jump from college to NFL is so steep for inline-capable TE's.

Would be totally fine with Mo Alie-Cox or Howard. Both good options.

Edited by broncos67

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Sure sounds like Chandler Jones is going to be a Bronco next week. 

Wonder what the price difference will be between him and Von. They seem to be pretty similar players at this point in their careers. Roughly the same age, spurts of dominance sprinkled between weeks of non existence. Post season Von is still a hell of a thing though. All things considered, I think I’d rather Miller back as long as the price was close.