Marvel/Netflix: Officially Cancelled...Moving to Hulu?

Acgott

8 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Blew through two seasons of Daredevil in about 10 days.  Not good.  Not good.  (The show was great, but man do I have some things to get done around the house.)

Not a problem. My main point is IF you have the time and enjoy the superhero shows just watch them. I liked them all and I’m not afraid to admit it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Acgott said:

Punisher was ok. Never really got me excited, although I never been a fan of his.

Moon Knight is what they should do next, that will be interesting, I heard he is like Batman with multiple personality disorder.

Moon Knight is one of my favorites.  But I think that'd be a very difficult character to portray.  

I'm about four or five episodes in and I'm pretty underwhelmed. I don't find the story to be super interesting and the characters just don't really do anything for me. I like the Leberman guy but that's about it. I liked the Punisher in Daredevil season two so I'm a little disappointed. 

Just finished it about 2 hours ago.

I think this is the second best series after daredevil right now. Punisher fixes the issues with Villains the past 3 netflix series have had (Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders) and the supporting characters are pretty damn good. Jon Bernthal really did a fantastic job and I can't wait for season 2 which is probably going to take a while since we're not going to get it until the Disney Streaming service nonsense is dealt with.

Minor spoilers.

Netflix is clearly putting less money and effort into these shows now that they know they're going to lose them all to Disney in a couple years. The writing for this is terrible, first episode is complete filler and had nothing to do with the rest of the story at all. The main plot is completely pushed aside when the subplot takes over for the middle third of the show without ever having any major effects. It seems like they wrote about 8 episodes and decided they may as well shoehorn Karen Page's character in for a subplot to push the show to 13 episodes.

None of the acting is above average at all except for maybe Curtis and Lewis, the first of which is such a minor character, and the second of which is one of the worst written characters I have ever seen in my life. Lewis' character arc goes from dealing with PTSD to completely stupid in one episode for no reason, his motivations are seemingly made up on the spot with no effort put into his character beforehand to lead us to believe he would care so much about what he is apparently championing, or that he would do what he does, and then they 100% drop his PTSD. It's almost insulting to people that suffer from the disease the way they wrote his character.

The other two main villains are also completely terrible. I'm assuming the writers were in a corner trying to recreate previous comic book writing so either they did a complete travesty of a job or the punisher comic books are just complete garbage. Agent Orange isn't scary or villainous at all, and his background of supposedly coming from old money makes the entire heroin selling operation seem like a joke. Why would an old money millionaire work for the CIA (with no apparent connections to anybody else he is working for/with) at a middle management level and then use that position to sell heroin from Afghanistan? What kind of a joke of a plot line is that? Also, Jigsaw's character is just not a good villain at all. His betrayal doesn't feel important at all and doesn't make you feel anything. The scene where it was shown how close he was to the family should have been shown at some point in the first 3 episodes and not episode 13 ffs where it doesn't matter anymore.

On top of all the bad writing and uninteresting characters, the show is extremely predictable, It never does anything you wouldn't expect if you've ever watched TV before. My wife and I called nearly every single "twist" as soon as they were set up except for the last one which was honestly more of their terrible writing. Probably the worst part is something that isn't really their fault, but gunfights between two characters you know won't die quickly are complete jokes, and there's no way to film/write one that isn't. These guys spend all the rest of the show headshotting mofos instantly but as soon as they are shooting at each other they turn into stormtrooperss. Every shot that doesn't miss is a completely negligible injury, no matter how bad it looks. When they inevitably end up in hand to hand combat the previous injuries they've sustained mean nothing, you may as well skip the gunfights completely.

This show was a huge waste of 13 hours in my opinion, and I was ready to stop watching half way through but my wife made us finish. the second half is better than the first half but it still isn't good. The show somehow manages to seem like it has less action than any of the other Marvel shows while also having the most filler time with irrelevant conversations that lead to nowhere. You could probably edit this show down to nearly half it's actual length and lose nothing of value. At the end of the day, it's got the second lowest rating on metacritic of any of the Marvel shows on Netflix for a reason.

• Like 4

On 11/19/2017 at 11:54 AM, Acgott said:

Punisher was ok. Never really got me excited, although I never been a fan of his.

Moon Knight is what they should do next, that will be interesting, I heard he is like Batman with multiple personality disorder.

Moon Knight would be expensive as shyt, though. If the Inhumans show is any indication, Marvel's TV division is incredibly cheap. I heard they had to cut back on using Robbie Reyes' Ghost Rider on AoS because they could no longer afford to use him. They also had to remove the Avengers Tower in DareDevil for budgetary reasons. Just based on this information, I don't know how they could afford to use his glider and his powers without it looking really cheap or feature it at all. 

Based on the leaked toy figure I posted a while back, Blade is probably their next series, which, ya know, since Blade's the one that started the whole CBM trend, it's only fitting that it'd be featured in their Netflix lineup. It would be the least expensive of the 3 rumored series as well (a standalone Ghost Rider series was also rumored).

Edited by KManX89

41 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Moon Knight would be expensive as shyt, though. If the Inhumans show is any indication, Marvel's TV division is incredibly cheap. I heard they had to cut back on using Robbie Reyes' Ghost Rider on AoS because they could no longer afford to use him. They also had to remove the Avengers Tower in DareDevil for budgetary reasons. Just based on this information, I don't know how they could afford to use his glider and his powers without it looking really cheap or feature it at all. 

Based on the leaked toy figure I posted a while back, Blade is probably their next series, which, ya know, since Blade's the one that started the whole CBM trend, it's only fitting that it'd be featured in their Netflix lineup. It would be the least expensive of the 3 rumored series as well (a standalone Ghost Rider series was also rumored).

Didn't know Moon Knight had a glider and powers. Don't know much about him at all, but I don't see how it would be much different from the other series. Is the glider a major portion of his character?

Blade and Ghost Rider would have a lot of special effects (Vampires, and GR is a fire head), I am no expert on those characters, but it seems it would be just as expensive as the other series.

Also how did Blade start the CBM movie trend?

53 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Inhumans was a rushed production that isn't indicative of the budget of other shows at all. Marvel's Runaways clearly has a pretty good budget behind it along with most of the Netflix Series.

AOS is probably the most expensive marvel show and it looks damn good for a TV budget.

Finished it last night, and I must say I enjoyed it. It wasn't the greatest Netflix series of all-time, and my level of interest has waned with each successive Marvel dud they've put out, but I'd say this was probably the most consistent and enjoyable series from start to finish they've had since Daredevil Season 2. There were some obvious plot holes and weak character portrayals that hurt the show, but nothing too drastic that it couldn't be forgiven, imo. I'll be curious to see where they go from here as the ending was pretty ho-hum in terms of what's next (aside from hinting at Billy becoming Jigsaw).

Also, think Netflix could do a great Blade series given that I wouldn't think they would need to blow the budget to do Buffy/Vampire Diaries level makeup and could go more for a horror theme to deviate from the standard superhero theme they've been employing with all of their series, to this point.

This was the weakest Marvel Netflix series to date IMO, although I haven't watched Jessica Jones.  The lead actor (Jon Bernthal) has no range, he plays the exact same character in everything and uses the same mannerisms over and over.  If you've seen the Walking Dead its pretty much just Shane as the Punisher.  I will admit, that doesn't make a bad casting choice for the Punisher, but its just like watching Tom Cruise in an action movie.  I don't believe he's this character, its just Tom Cruise doing these things.  The same goes for Bernthal.  

He isn't really the problem with the series though.  The supporting cast is crap (other than the guy who plays Micro, who IMO was the best part of the series).  The two Homeland Security agents were terribly boring and pointless.  The villains were awful.  The whole PSTD guy that starts bombing people was portrayed so over the top that it ruined any kind of message it was trying to send.  Agent Orange was all around terribly written, terribly acted, and terrible casting choice IMO.  The future Jigsaw guy I guess was the "least worst" of the three villains, but that ain't saying much.  

And what was the point in having all the unnecessary awkward love triangle with the Punisher/Micro/and his wife?  That was terrible writing, a completely pointless and boring subplot.  That is a subplot you'll see on the CW superhero shows.   

And then there's Karen Page, who IMO continues to be the most annoying character in all of the Marvel series combined.  Why they shoehorned her into this series is beyond me.  They need to kill off her character ASAP because I find myself literally fast forwarding through her scenes.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This was the weakest Marvel Netflix series to date IMO, although I haven't watched Jessica Jones.  The lead actor (Jon Bernthal) has no range, he plays the exact same character in everything and uses the same mannerisms over and over.  If you've seen the Walking Dead its pretty much just Shane as the Punisher.  I will admit, that doesn't make a bad casting choice for the Punisher, but its just like watching Tom Cruise in an action movie.  I don't believe he's this character, its just Tom Cruise doing these things.  The same goes for Bernthal.  

He isn't really the problem with the series though.  The supporting cast is crap (other than the guy who plays Micro, who IMO was the best part of the series).  The two Homeland Security agents were terribly boring and pointless.  The villains were awful.  The whole PSTD guy that starts bombing people was portrayed so over the top that it ruined any kind of message it was trying to send.  Agent Orange was all around terribly written, terribly acted, and terrible casting choice IMO.  The future Jigsaw guy I guess was the "least worst" of the three villains, but that ain't saying much.  

And what was the point in having all the unnecessary awkward love triangle with the Punisher/Micro/and his wife?  That was terrible writing, a completely pointless and boring subplot.  That is a subplot you'll see on the CW superhero shows.   

And then there's Karen Page, who IMO continues to be the most annoying character in all of the Marvel series combined.  Why they shoehorned her into this series is beyond me.  They need to kill off her character ASAP because I find myself literally fast forwarding through her scenes.  

I don't know if I'd quite go that far but in general I would agree with you on everything. I really like Micro as you said and actually liked Russo's actor even though his character and his reasoning was vague at best and in the end just didn't add up. As you said the love triangle between the three just made zero sense and it went from the Punisher saying he had no interest in Micro's wife and trying to lay the foundation for her reunion with Micro to creating unnecessary tension on a scene by basis. 

Karen Page was awful and her character is a bunch of a ridiculous contradictions and the only reason I was thankful for her is that I didn't have to sit through another season of Claire Temple who is equally annoying and hypocritical. 

The whole story and villain angle was just incredibly lacking and unimaginative. I don't mind the CIA screwing over the soldier angle but the DHS agents, the villains ****ty motives and the best friend show down that didn't really make any sense (especially after freeing the Punisher when Agent Orange was going to kill him) was just pretty much terrible. I don't regret watching the show but I would never, ever recommend it to someone and at times just wanted the season to end so I could turn it off.  

Different strokes for different folks. I thoroughly enjoyed The Punisher, but I knew I'd show up in here to people complaining about it. It seems like that's common for each of these series. Either people have unrealistic expectations, or they're looking for something more than I am. It's probably both. I was entertained. That's all I ask.

• Like 1