Raidersfan1

Tyler Linderbaum C Iowa

OVR: 85

Potential: AVG

Bio: Grizzly pro prospect with some grit and toughness. True center

Jalen Wydermyer TE Texas A&M

OVR: 78

Potential: FAST

Bio: Great release. Gets off the ball and gets open quickly. Uses large frame to shield defenders. Good catch radius. 15-20 pick luxury reach in thinly built 2nd round to capture value

Bernard Raimann OT Central Michigan

OVR: 79

Potential: STAR

Christian Watson WR North Dakota State

OVR: 73

*Compensation pick Omar Khan 

Bio: Exciting small school split end prospect. Comparable to Chase Claypool with more athletic ability

Juanyeh Thomas SS GA Tech

OVR: 75

*Acquired in 4th round for future 3rd Rd pick

Bio: Legion of Boom potential. Big. Noticeable. Quick. And fast. Sure tackler. 

Channing Tindall LB Georgia

OVR: 76

*Compensation pick for Bud Dupree

Bio: Good burst. Earl Holmes comparison. Prototypical Steelers inside linebacker

Matt Araiza P San Diego State

OVR: 80

*Compensation pick for Matt Feiler

Bio: First round grade. Soccer build and built. Not afraid to make a tackle or cover his own punts. Any punter that punts the ball standing on his own 10 yard line into the end zone can play for my team. 

6th round - Bernard Parham IOL Memphis

OVR: 67

Bio: Good mobility but not enough strength. A Kendrick Green wake-up call pick/challenge

7th round - 

7th round - 

UFA:

Terron Armstead (6 years, $156m)

Leonard Fournette (2 years, $16m)

Marcus Mariota (1 year, $8m)

Steelers Offensive Line

LT - Terron Armstead

LG - Dan Moore

C - Tyler Linderbaum

RG - Kevin Dotson

RT - Bernard Raimann

6th man - Kendrick Green 

Flex - Joe Haeg

Why would you take a center, TE and a punter in the draft?  They just took all of them last year.  Dan Moore is NOT a OG.  Drafting the Oline looks like people can't decide what sort of blocking they want.  Why would you sign Fournette?. Are you Juanyeh Thomas' brother?  I serious doubt he even gets drafted.

Overall a D+ ( the plus is for Raimann )

• Like 4

Fournette isn’t going to come here...he’ll get paid somewhere else and won’t split carries...I do agree we need a better RB2 though.

I think FA is more possible with the 2nd TE even though Gentry had gotten better...lot of interesting names out there.

Even though he’s good, I would be afraid to give Armstead that deal due to his injury history.

• Like 1

Channing Tindall and Juanyeh Thomas will be studs in the NFL. Tindall is probably better than Nakobe Dean and has a higher upside due to his coverage ability. Juanyeh is a big physical Safety that can do it all at a high level. Needs work on pursuit angles but that can be fixed. 

That OLine would be amazing.

The draft, however, is pretty meh outside of round 1.

As mentioned, taking a TE in round 2 makes no sense.      Pat is our starter, and Gentry is fine for our backup for next year.   If we need an upgrade, that can come later.

Drafting a punter is pretty much never a good idea.      The ones you draft....regardless of round, are usually not much better than many UDFA's.      We just drafted a punter and he is horrible.       Id rather sign a vet to compete with Harvin next year.    

Only WRs Id take early are a great possession guy like Dotson or a burner that can stretch the field....and even then I dont know if Id take one early given our needs.

Haeg will likely be cut.

And you didnt have us address corner at all?    Really?

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

That OLine would be amazing.

The draft, however, is pretty meh outside of round 1.

As mentioned, taking a TE in round 2 makes no sense.      Pat is our starter, and Gentry is fine for our backup for next year.   If we need an upgrade, that can come later.

Drafting a punter is pretty much never a good idea.      The ones you draft....regardless of round, are usually not much better than many UDFA's.      We just drafted a punter and he is horrible.       Id rather sign a vet to compete with Harvin next year.    

Only WRs Id take early are a great possession guy like Dotson or a burner that can stretch the field....and even then I dont know if Id take one early given our needs.

Haeg will likely be cut.

And you didnt have us address corner at all?    Really?

I would guess he assumes they pay up for a CB or 2.

Im guessing Haeg stays due to being able to play multiple spots.

I agree with WR...I think they’re going to draft 1 high or surprisingly spend some $$$ on a vet...just a hunch.

Agreed on punter.

You can not like it all you want and I get that but if there’s a Punter I’m ever willing to draft it’s Matt Araiza. In the end they drafted Harvin last year, so unless they think he’s a lost cause they won’t be drafting another. I’d welcome Araiza with open arms though.

Linderbaum gives me the same feeling of Pouncey and DeCastro, just feels like a Steelers pick. Checks a lot of the usual boxes. It’s a possibility if they want to move Green into a Guard spot. 

I’m pretty happy with our TE’s right now, wouldn’t expect a TE unless it was much later in the draft. Gentry has really impressed me this year and Freiermuth speaks for himself.

5 hours ago, Neumatic said:

You can not like it all you want and I get that but if there’s a Punter I’m ever willing to draft it’s Matt Araiza. In the end they drafted Harvin last year, so unless they think he’s a lost cause they won’t be drafting another. I’d welcome Araiza with open arms though.

Linderbaum gives me the same feeling of Pouncey and DeCastro, just feels like a Steelers pick. Checks a lot of the usual boxes. It’s a possibility if they want to move Green into a Guard spot. 

I’m pretty happy with our TE’s right now, wouldn’t expect a TE unless it was much later in the draft. Gentry has really impressed me this year and Freiermuth speaks for himself.

I honestly think Linderbaum will go before us.

16 hours ago, Raidersfan1 said:

Tyler Linderbaum C Iowa

OVR: 85

Bio: Grizzly pro prospect with some grit and toughness. True center

Jalen Wydermyer TE Texas A&M

OVR: 78

Potential: FAST

Bio: Great release. Gets off the ball and gets open quickly. Uses large frame to shield defenders. Good catch radius. 15-20 pick luxury reach in thinly built 2nd round to capture value

Bernard Raimann OT Central Michigan

OVR: 79

Christian Watson WR North Dakota State

OVR: 73

*Compensation pick Omar Khan 

Bio: Exciting small school split end prospect. Comparable to Chase Claypool with more athletic ability

Juanyeh Thomas SS GA Tech

OVR: 75

*Acquired in 4th round for future 3rd Rd pick

Bio: Legion of Boom potential. Big. Noticeable. Quick. And fast. Sure tackler. 

Channing Tindall LB Georgia

OVR: 76

*Compensation pick for Bud Dupree

Bio: Good burst. Earl Holmes comparison. Prototypical Steelers inside linebacker

Matt Araiza P San Diego State

OVR: 80

*Compensation pick for Matt Feiler

Bio: First round grade. Soccer build and built. Not afraid to make a tackle or cover his own punts. Any punter that punts the ball standing on his own 10 yard line into the end zone can play for my team. 

6th round - Bernard Parham IOL Memphis

OVR: 67

Bio: Good mobility but not enough strength. A Kendrick Green wake-up call pick/challenge

7th round - 

7th round - 

UFA:

Terron Armstead (6 years, $156m)

Leonard Fournette (2 years, $16m)

Marcus Mariota (1 year, $8m)

Steelers Offensive Line

LT - Terron Armstead

LG - Dan Moore

C - Tyler Linderbaum

RG - Kevin Dotson

RT - Bernard Raimann

6th man - Kendrick Green 

Flex - Joe Haeg

Pick #1 is smaller than last yrs center pick and we know how that turned out and TE  with the 2nd rd pick when the middle of the defense need help. Pick 2 should be DT or MLB I do like the other picks👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿

The one thing I do like is the Mariota signing. Its what Ive been saying before this year, a much better stop gap with mobility and upside potential that doesnt turn the ball over too much. Issue was being aggressive, but I think he may take command a little more. In any case dont reach or overextend picks with a trade if its not "the guy" when you have so many areas of need. 

Size concerns and these random things coming up with Linderbaum are kinda the absurd excuses to not take a center high. He plays with great leverage, takes amazing angles, has a mean streak, and most importantly stays on his feet. 

I got Jason Kelce as a comp. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 12:41 AM, JustPlainNasty said:

The one thing I do like is the Mariota signing. Its what Ive been saying before this year, a much better stop gap with mobility and upside potential that doesnt turn the ball over too much. Issue was being aggressive, but I think he may take command a little more. In any case dont reach or overextend picks with a trade if its not "the guy" when you have so many areas of need. 

I'm on the Mariota stopgap train as well. With a developing line, it helps he can move around some. He's nothing special but he is solid and fits Matt Canada's scheme well. I don't know the long term answer is in this draft either.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:06 AM, DudeWhat??? said:

Not taking a number 2 tight end in the second round when we already have a solid 2

The tight end pick is actually my favorite pick. One could argue it's our least of our needs given Muthhhhh, and the fact the Steelers don't even know how to utilize the tight end. Why do you even need a second one? The bottom line is this is a hit. Misses kill franchises. This pick transforms the team into a two tight end Kraken much akin to the Patriots days of old. This complements the singleback you have in Najee Harris, as well as, presents an offensive coordinator with options in constructing a gameplan that brings fear into opponents. This guy is that dude. Kelce, Gates, etc.  

Wydermyer is the deep threat. Freiermuth is the in-line blocker between Matt Spaeth and Heath Miller. 

As Cable explained, the increased usage of two tight end sets - New England has been the most prominent at this with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez - means an offense can dictate to a defense. When your offense shows up in the huddle with two tight ends:

I think you have to make a decision as a defense now - do you want to play these guys in base defense? If you do, then you're going to have a linebacker covering those tight ends. If you're going to go the other way, say, you're going to put nickel in the game (substitute in one defensive back for a linebacker), then we're going to try to shove the ball down your throat running it. For us, it kind of puts us back into a position of power, where we're going to play off of how they want to substitute and how they want to match up. If they stay in base, you might see us attack them more and throw the ball more; if they get in nickel, you might see us run it more.

And we'll see the tight end position in 2035.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:17 AM, jebrick said:

Why would you take a center, TE and a punter in the draft?  They just took all of them last year.  Dan Moore is NOT a OG.  Drafting the Oline looks like people can't decide what sort of blocking they want.  Why would you sign Fournette?. Are you Juanyeh Thomas' brother?  I serious doubt he even gets drafted.

Overall a D+ ( the plus is for Raimann )

I took those positions because they have neither been filled or they could use competition or supplementary competition to make the team better.

Dan Moore is like Willie Colon. His 7.56 is fast enough for guard. DeCastro, in comparison, is one of the best pullers of recent memory, was in the 7.3's, and that's one of the fastest I've ever seen from that position. I wouldn't necessarily have Dan Moore be the first choice to pull, but they'll both have to pull, and if he's unable to do the job than he can be the swing tackle and we'll find someone else to do the job.

Fournette was signed to extend the career of Najee Harris and fortify the team identity of smash mouth. He presents a Najee Harris 2.0 option and provides depth to a position that has none. Ideally, someone in the mold of the ND RB #23 would be a nice complement. But we'll just save some tread and address that in the future.

Juanyeh Thomas, as mentioned below, has shown poor angles in attack, but he's got the potential to be great or just very good.