The Good, the Bad, the season is over

RaidersAreOne

58 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The loss left no doubt about the coaching staff. They've done a hell of a job keeping it together amidst all the distraction, but proved they are overmatched when it comes down to it. 

There was a lack of urgency on offense all game. How many times did the play clock seem to be winding down and they were rushing to get snap? Drive killing penalties continue to be an issue each week. 5 red zone trips and 1 TD. Defense couldn't get a stop. Poor adjustments to what Cincy was doing. The list goes on. 

Season on the line, you're 2 best play makers are not positioned in the end zone to make a play? 

Carr on the last play was awful as well. Had time and opted to force it to his first read who was not even in the end zone. I respect Carr, but his red zone issues have been a problem his entire career. That play was so indicative of everything you dislike about him.

Overall... made it easy to clean house for Davis. They were overmatched in talent (Mayock blowing 13 top 100 picks) and out coached for 60 mins. 

I agree with most (we seem to agree on a lot and have for years) But not so sure on the 13 top 100 picks. After even MD said that Gruden had final say I'll never believe that Mayock made those first round picks. There is no way Mayock and Mckenzie (his last yr especially) make the same type of picks. I believe the top 2 rounds and maybe round 3 were all Gruden. What scares me is Davis has said he wants a coach to make all the final personnel decisions if he finds a new one as well. If that's the case whoever we get needs to be a great talent evaluator as well. 

Edited by BigD1123

Think we ended the game on defense with the following missing; 

DL - McCoy, Philon & Jefferson

LB - Morrow, Perryman, Deablo & Kwiatowski

DB - Mullen, Facyson, Abram

Equally on offense we had missing ;

OL - Incognito & Good 

RB - Ingold & Drake

WR - Ruggs*

We know this team has holes but to come away from a playoff game thinking missed an opportunity is incredible really given the above. Of course the Ruggs and Gruden situations are self inflicted but still had a huge impact. 

Bradley has done a good job even getting this defense to be average given the state of the D he took over and the injuries since. No doubt the defense has played a big part in the last 4 wins to get us in the playoffs and carried the offense.

Losing Ruggs, then Waller after reconstructing the OL has seen the offense struggle and the RZ struggles have ultimately cost us. Play calling, personnel and Carr all need to improve to help in the RZ. 

Happy for the HC search to run its course but hoping we don’t blow up the defense too much.  Having said that it has to be accepted that any HC may want a change of scheme which will impact on personnel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

The loss left no doubt about the coaching staff. They've done a hell of a job keeping it together amidst all the distraction, but proved they are overmatched when it comes down to it. 

There was a lack of urgency on offense all game. How many times did the play clock seem to be winding down and they were rushing to get snap? Drive killing penalties continue to be an issue each week. 5 red zone trips and 1 TD. Defense couldn't get a stop. Poor adjustments to what Cincy was doing. The list goes on. 

Season on the line, you're 2 best play makers are not positioned in the end zone to make a play? 

Carr on the last play was awful as well. Had time and opted to force it to his first read who was not even in the end zone. I respect Carr, but his red zone issues have been a problem his entire career. That play was so indicative of everything you dislike about him.

Overall... made it easy to clean house for Davis. They were overmatched in talent (Mayock blowing 13 top 100 picks) and out coached for 60 mins. 

This is a good breakdown bp, I agree. Especially about the urgency, lack of offensive creativeness, carr forcing a ball to Jones with 4 defenders near ( Olson sucks and deserves huge blame there too, as well as the strip sack, yes carr should’ve damn sure been aware too!) barbers boneheaded move, pleatherwhiff is a walking penalty waiting to happen. And our defensive adjustments sucked. Burrow to chase was obvious from the onset.  Coaching staff has to go, make it happen with harbs...period. Anything else is meh to me except Shaw. Gotta keep carr if for no other reason than he’s serviceable and the best replacement plan is actually MM. no one else out there, period. Let’s not kid ourselves! Bradley improved the d but improvement from 31 isn’t saying much. Lol. This team played for each other and they overachieved. The only way to get a winning culture is to win. Period. I don’t give a rats a** about draft position. But please mark, hire the right staff and build on this season. 🤞 fingers crossed ! Big time! 

• Like 1

Like others have said - this game was a microcosm of all our deficiencies - both players and coaches.

The clock management was atrocious. So many times Carr just seemed totally oblivious as to where the play clock was. I remember seeing RB visibly frustrated at one point - looking over to Olsen as it was taking so long to decide the play when the clock was running down.

The other big thing (if it wasn’t totally evident anyway) was just how nsabely big of a mistake it was to blow up the oline. I’m usually fairly measured when it comes to decisions and can recognise that all FOs whiff time to time. But that was such a glaringly obvious calamity in the making.

Surely….surely the end of the road for Cable.

Edited by reddevil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigD1123 said:

I agree with most (we seem to agree on a lot and have for years) But not so sure on the 13 top 100 picks. After even MD said that Gruden had final say I'll never believe that Mayock made those first round picks. There is no way Mayock and Mckenzie (his last yr especially) make the same type of picks. I believe the top 2 rounds and maybe round 3 were all Gruden. What scares me is Davis has said he wants a coach to make all the final personnel decisions if he finds a new one as well. If that's the case whoever we get needs to be a great talent evaluator as well. 

It's on record that Ferrell and Arnette were Mayock's guys. Regardless, I don't care who made the picks. He was part of a front office and staff that had a hand in them. 

We cannot pretend he only picked the players that have performed well to justify keeping him. He had a hand in everything that went on on draft day for 3 years running. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Like others have said - this game was a microcosm of all our deficiencies - both players and coaches.

The clock management was atrocious. So many times Carr just seemed totally oblivious as to where the play clock was. I remember seeing RB visibly frustrated at one point - looking over to Olsen as it was taking so long to decide the play when the clock was running down.

The other big thing (if it wasn’t totally evident anyway) was just how nsabely big of a mistake it was to blow up the oline. I’m usually fairly measured when it comes to decisions and can recognise that all FOs whiff time to time. But that was such a glaringly obvious calamity in the making.

Surely….surely the end of the road for Cable.

That man is a cockroach. He won't die. Time and time again he's proven to be a lackluster Oline coach but he keeps getting work. Every stop, the team is worse for having him there. 

This entire sequence is why Carr bother's me. This is his career in the red zone and explains why the team struggles down there. He's impatient, doesn't wait for things to develop and lock onto his first read to often. 

35 second, 4 plays from the 12 and he crumbled.

Edited by big_palooka

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You liked watching the Bengals score on nearly every possession? 

Or did you like all the turnovers they created this season?

Better than what we had previously and in his first year with a lot of new people. I feel he can improve upon that. You seem to disagree. No problem there

54 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This entire sequence is why Carr bother's me. This is his career in the red zone and explains why the team struggles down there. He's impatient, doesn't wait for things to develop and lock onto his first read to often. 

35 second, 4 plays from the 12 and he crumbled.

The routes run on those 3 plays did nobody any favors either. 

Here was my initial reaction to it:

We knew we had to get a TD and time was limited. 

Why, FFS, did we not go over what to do in the event of getting into the RZ quickly? 

Drew Brees said on commentary that he too would have spiked the ball, but faster. I disagree. This was do or die time. Wasting a down with plenty of time left is not smart, period. 

There should have been a play called ahead of time for that very scenario. Even a run play. Something. That, imo, is bad situational game management from everyone involved. 

When plays were called, too many routes short of the end zone were there. Again, just stupid. Sure, we didn't have all the time in the world to dilly dally around, but we had enough time for what we needed. Cincy got the ball back with 12 seconds left. That's enough time to run 2-3 quick plays itself. 

I go back to the spike. Just stupid. One has to assume that they didn't anticipate getting that deep that quick (fine, but amateur) and once there didn't want to call a play on first down on the fly (again, amateur). Just no excuse to not take their time. Urgency is one thing, but they were sloppy with it. There was more than enough time to utilize the middle of the field and a short pass or two as well. Not a whole lot, but there was time. 

14 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

I hope they didn’t let this guy on the team plane. How dumb can you be 

Idiotic, this was the difference in the game for me. We get the ball at the 40 and get at least 3, instead we go 3 and out and give up a FG on a short field 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Better than what we had previously and in his first year with a lot of new people. I feel he can improve upon that. You seem to disagree. No problem there

He was supposed to turn an all time worst defense into a top 10 unit with in 1 year with half his guys hurt, come on man! 

• Like 4

sure the talent can improve but i don’t think his scheme or adjustments improve. Situationally he is one of the worst, 2 games off the top of my head dallas and just this last chargers game that should not have went to overtime but did because his defense couldn’t close the game.