Head Coaching Change Discussion.

Dolphinmeister

Quinn and Moore are of 0 interest to me. I love Vance Joseph as a defensive coordinator not sure as the head guy, I know at Denver he had 0 talent at QB the 2 years he was there. My gut tells me it will be Daboll if he is all in on Tua as Grier and Ross have staked their futures in Miami on Tua it looks like  anyone that buys in to that plan should get the job.

I think the Grier is mainly targeting Dabol to take over.  I personally have Pederson as the best HC candidate available, but I don't think he will be interested in coaching Tua.  I also like McDaniel but when I think of his Offense I think of the QB under center mostly and I think Tua needs a large amount of shotgun and read option to be successful, so I don't think Grier will take McDaniel as a serious candidate.  I see Bienemy as a legit Darkhorse and #2 option to Dabol.

It 100% feels like we are waiting on a HC to choose us, not the other way around. And it's probably Daboll, who is most likely going to NYG now. Can't blame him if he chooses them over us and our lame duck GM. We'll end up picking our 2nd or 3rd option aka Vance Joseph or Leslie Frazier. 

Giants - Daboll

Bears - Caldwell

Broncos - Quinn

Dolphins - Joseph

Jaguars - Leftwich

Vikings - Hackett

Texans - Flores

Raiders - Not sure

Predictions... In order of likelihood

1. Daboll gets the job and brings Ken Dorsey back to Miami as OC.  Also signs Mitchell Trubiski to be backup/competition. (2 years $6m. $4m GTD).  Would love to see him bring in Fangio as asst HC/DC.

2. Vance Joseph gets the job and gets Joe Woods (current DC in Cleveland) to join him.  Woods has worked under Mike Tomlin, Wade Phillips and Joseph.  Has a great resume' of success.  Matt Nagy is brought in as OC.  West Coast offense suits Tua's skill set.

3. Kellen Moore gets the job.  This one scares me to death.  Too young and inexperienced to really have good assts follow him.  He has a STACKED OLine, 2 great RB's and 2 Top end WR's.  Just don't see how he gets this job but its a possibility.  The only way I am considering this is he has a DC that can use the roster in place for his scheme AND has HC experience. (Fangio)

4. Mike McDaniel gets the job.  Once again, I question his experience and ability to attract quality assistants.  

Still wondering why Miami didn't kick the tires on Doug Peterson, Nathaniel Hackett or Jim Harbaugh (Fangio was his DC in SF and probably would have followed him to MIA)

A couple other names to keep an eye on for assist jobs is Dennis Allen (Saints DC) and Kris Richard (Saints Secondary coach).  Richard was a finalist for Miami's HC job when they went with Flores in 2019.

1 hour ago, Rgossett07 said:

Predictions... In order of likelihood

1. Daboll gets the job and brings Ken Dorsey back to Miami as OC.  Also signs Mitchell Trubiski to be backup/competition. (2 years $6m. $4m GTD).  Would love to see him bring in Fangio as asst HC/DC.

2. Vance Joseph gets the job and gets Joe Woods (current DC in Cleveland) to join him.  Woods has worked under Mike Tomlin, Wade Phillips and Joseph.  Has a great resume' of success.  Matt Nagy is brought in as OC.  West Coast offense suits Tua's skill set.

3. Kellen Moore gets the job.  This one scares me to death.  Too young and inexperienced to really have good assts follow him.  He has a STACKED OLine, 2 great RB's and 2 Top end WR's.  Just don't see how he gets this job but its a possibility.  The only way I am considering this is he has a DC that can use the roster in place for his scheme AND has HC experience. (Fangio)

4. Mike McDaniel gets the job.  Once again, I question his experience and ability to attract quality assistants.  

Still wondering why Miami didn't kick the tires on Doug Peterson, Nathaniel Hackett or Jim Harbaugh (Fangio was his DC in SF and probably would have followed him to MIA)

A couple other names to keep an eye on for assist jobs is Dennis Allen (Saints DC) and Kris Richard (Saints Secondary coach).  Richard was a finalist for Miami's HC job when they went with Flores in 2019.

I'm still not convinced Harbaugh's tires aren't being kicked unofficially. Right now I believe Daboll is the front runner. I too am surprised they didn't reach out to Peterson as well. 

Mike McDaniel is a wild card as was Sean McVay when he was hired for the Rams, so the move is not unprecedented, if he gets the job I can't say I would be either angry or excited. I guess I would find the move interesting...

Of those listed, Kellen Moore is the one I really don't want for many of the same reasons you list. 

1 hour ago, Phinsesq said:

I'm still not convinced Harbaugh's tires aren't being kicked unofficially. Right now I believe Daboll is the front runner. I too am surprised they didn't reach out to Peterson as well. 

Mike McDaniel is a wild card as was Sean McVay when he was hired for the Rams, so the move is not unprecedented, if he gets the job I can't say I would be either angry or excited. I guess I would find the move interesting...

Of those listed, Kellen Moore is the one I really don't want for many of the same reasons you list. 

The one thing Sean McVay did when he was hired by the Rams was bring in Wade Phiilips.  Former head coach and Proven coordinator on the opposite side of the ball.  McDaniel, Daboll and/or Moore MUST do this is they get hired.

It's now reported our 3 finalists are Dabol, Kellen Moore (wtf), and McDaniel

Dolphins coaching search: team has three finalists (report) - Sports Illustrated

Also being reported that whoever our new HC is going to be that our current DC and QB is part of the package.  I get the feeling this may have turned off Dabol and he is waiting to see if the Giants offer him the HC job first.

Report: The Miami Dolphins want to keep defensive coaching staff (phinphanatic.com)

Miami Dolphins reportedly telling prospective coaches they have no say (phinphanatic.com)

Edited by Swampbilly

1 hour ago, Swampbilly said:

It's now reported our 3 finalists are Dabol, Kellen Moore (wtf), and McDaniel

Dolphins coaching search: team has three finalists (report) - Sports Illustrated

Also being reported that whoever our new HC is going to be that our current DC and QB is part of the package.  I get the feeling this may have turned off Dabol and he is waiting to see if the Giants offer him the HC job first.

Report: The Miami Dolphins want to keep defensive coaching staff (phinphanatic.com)

Miami Dolphins reportedly telling prospective coaches they have no say (phinphanatic.com)

Yeah a forced marriage with the QB and DC could very well have turned off a few candidates and is a potential recipe for failure but that's just how we roll in Miami.. We rarely do things the right way. But I feel like the decision is in Daboll's hands, not the other way around. I think he's the top choice for the Dolphins and the Giants.

I still feel like Miami probably has inside track for him for various reasons, not to mention his familiarity with Tua and Boyer with who he worked with in NE. Of the 3 rumored finalists i would rank them 1. Daboll, 2. McDaniel, 3. Moore. 

McDaniel is intriguing to me but I feel like Daboll would probably be able to put together a stronger staff.

56 minutes ago, Emerica said:

Yeah a forced marriage with the QB and DC could very well have turned off a few candidates and is a potential recipe for failure but that's just how we roll in Miami.. We rarely do things the right way. But I feel like the decision is in Daboll's hands, not the other way around. I think he's the top choice for the Dolphins and the Giants.

I still feel like Miami probably has inside track for him for various reasons, not to mention his familiarity with Tua and Boyer with who he worked with in NE. Of the 3 rumored finalists i would rank them 1. Daboll, 2. McDaniel, 3. Moore. 

McDaniel is intriguing to me but I feel like Daboll would probably be able to put together a stronger staff.

Daboll is going to NY