Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

Tyler Davis  would be a nice addition to the Pats defense. He's short but 300 LBs and he's quick as a cat and strong as a bull. Watched this tape, really impressed. I had the same feeling when I watched Falcons Grady Jarrett.  You could compare tapes and you would think it the same player.  Davis is not as quick but they have similar games. Mostly likely to go in the 3/4 RD.

davis     https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/players/tyler-davis

Jarett    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKh1NjHxDTI

38 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Anyone have any info on what the return would be if the Pats trade JC Jackson?

Given the amount of cap space they have I think it's going to be tough tagging and trading JC, especially with the first round being stacked with CB's. Personally, if I were a great team that needed a corner to go over the top I would throw a 1st and a 3rd at the Patriots to get JC. He can really be a difference maker on a team. I've been on the extend JC bandwagon for awhile.. especially if you can backload a deal and extend him 4-5 years so that his deal will be "cheap" in a couple years. If BB wants to be a predominantly man coverage team.. he needs 2 great corners.. so getting rid of JC leaves them with 2 huge holes on their defense. What they really need is a second great corner, not to get rid of their best corner. 

Given how much importance BB puts on the secondary.. it almost feels more likely that he could go FS & CB in this draft early then grab another mid round LB ( and resign Bentley). If you've got elite secondary players, it will go a long way towards helping out those slow LB's. 

So for instance, picture this draft scenario: 

- Patriots trade 21 to Jags for 33 and 65

- Mayo is hired as HC and Patriots get a 3rd round comp pick this year and next 

DRAFT: 

• 33: Daxton Hill, S ( McCourty Replacement .. can play day 1) 
  • 53: Kyler Gordon, CB ( in the CB rotation right away fighting with Wade / Mills for snaps and is depth when playing pass heavy teams like Buffalo) 
  • 65: Wan'Dale Robinson, WR ( instant contributor, speed threat, takes over the slot and can play some outside / gadgets/etc. if Josh ever gets creative) 
  • 85: Phidarian Mathis, DL ( Clog the middle, do what Godchaux should have done, Alabama connection, help the run defense) 
  • 3rd Comp: Damone Clark, ILB ( 245, has potential moving forward .. claim 4.55 speed ) 
  • 4th round: Jarret Peterson, C ( LG of future, move Onwenu back to RT) 
  • 5th round: Matta Araiza, (Punt God, BB doesn't sign punters and Bailey took a step back.. wouldn't be surprised if he gets a year ahead of it and cuts Bailey) 

With this scenario you go hard on improving the secondary and get Mac a weapon. 

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Given the amount of cap space they have I think it's going to be tough tagging and trading JC, especially with the first round being stacked with CB's. Personally, if I were a great team that needed a corner to go over the top I would throw a 1st and a 3rd at the Patriots to get JC. He can really be a difference maker on a team. I've been on the extend JC bandwagon for awhile.. especially if you can backload a deal and extend him 4-5 years so that his deal will be "cheap" in a couple years. If BB wants to be a predominantly man coverage team.. he needs 2 great corners.. so getting rid of JC leaves them with 2 huge holes on their defense. What they really need is a second great corner, not to get rid of their best corner. 

Given how much importance BB puts on the secondary.. it almost feels more likely that he could go FS & CB in this draft early then grab another mid round LB ( and resign Bentley). If you've got elite secondary players, it will go a long way towards helping out those slow LB's. 

So for instance, picture this draft scenario: 

- Patriots trade 21 to Jags for 33 and 65

- Mayo is hired as HC and Patriots get a 3rd round comp pick this year and next 

DRAFT: 

• 33: Daxton Hill, S ( McCourty Replacement .. can play day 1) 
  • 53: Kyler Gordon, CB ( in the CB rotation right away fighting with Wade / Mills for snaps and is depth when playing pass heavy teams like Buffalo) 
  • 65: Wan'Dale Robinson, WR ( instant contributor, speed threat, takes over the slot and can play some outside / gadgets/etc. if Josh ever gets creative) 
  • 85: Phidarian Mathis, DL ( Clog the middle, do what Godchaux should have done, Alabama connection, help the run defense) 
  • 3rd Comp: Damone Clark, ILB ( 245, has potential moving forward .. claim 4.55 speed ) 
  • 4th round: Jarret Peterson, C ( LG of future, move Onwenu back to RT) 
  • 5th round: Matta Araiza, (Punt God, BB doesn't sign punters and Bailey took a step back.. wouldn't be surprised if he gets a year ahead of it and cuts Bailey) 

With this scenario you go hard on improving the secondary and get Mac a weapon. 

I ask becasue I was thinking about different scenarios with the draft. Here's what I'm throwing around in my empty head. You could say I have to much time on my hands!!

The Pats have a trade in place however it all depends on how the draft plays out. Lets say Booth, Ahmad Gardner or Kaiir Elam fall to 21. The Pats than trade Jackson. They use that pick to go after Kyler Gordon.

So you have two IMO great CBs on a rookie contract.

Booth and Gordon would be sweet additions for the future. I still look at 2022 as a building year. There's just to many holes to fill

You walk out after 2nd round with Booth, Gordon and your boy Robinson. 😁

I'm assuming  JC Jackson is going to ask for crazy money.  Hey BB check my interceptions numbers.. pay up!!!

ADDED Maybe you trade one of the 1st and still get Gorden in the 2nd RD with additional picks to boot!! I'm trying to turn Jackson into multiple picks as long as a elite CB there at 21.

Edited by m haynes

31 minutes ago, m haynes said:

You walk out after 2nd round with Booth, Gordon and your boy Robinson. 😁

1) I agree JC is going to want crazy money.. but they've sort of backed themselves into a corner needing a corner so they may have to pay him

2) If you can get both of those guys in the 1st round it's a no brainer.. you've got no experience but the talent is great.. by the end of the year you'd be seeing some great strides. 

If you could do that, I would be all for it.. you'd save big money and have 2 corners locked up for 5 years. I'm just trying to think of what team would really do that though.. Maybe Arizona would try to make another splash and trade for JC? 

I like the idea of the CB or S/CB double dip.. the other one I would be all for is the Robinson+ Metchie double dip. They are both guys who probably go mid to late 2nd round but if either one slipped into the 3rd I'd be all for drafting one in the 2nd and trading up in the 3rd to get the other. 

24 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

you really can't get rid of JC Jackson. You don't have a plan for if get rid of him. He has leverage and you have to pay him.

I think the only way you can move on from him is in the above scenario. 

It's totally possible that BB tags him and drafts his replacement this year. So a scenario where he tries to trade him during the draft is also plausible. A team like the Cardinals who want to make a championship level jump would rather have JC than a rookie CB.. and NE is rebuilding so i makes sense for both sides 

Just now, Crimmage said:

I think the only way you can move on from him is in the above scenario. 

It's totally possible that BB tags him and drafts his replacement this year. So a scenario where he tries to trade him during the draft is also plausible. A team like the Cardinals who want to make a championship level jump would rather have JC than a rookie CB.. and NE is rebuilding so i makes sense for both sides 

our expectation is to make the playoffs going forward. Every year. And we have about a 3-4 year window with a rookie QB contract. So I'm not sure how much rebuild it is. I don't think the Cardinals are in a better spot than the Patriots. Drafting a replacement would make sense if we had another good CB but we don't. We can't try to fill both CB spots at once. This will expose us defensively.

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

1) I agree JC is going to want crazy money.. but they've sort of backed themselves into a corner needing a corner so they may have to pay him

2) If you can get both of those guys in the 1st round it's a no brainer.. you've got no experience but the talent is great.. by the end of the year you'd be seeing some great strides. 

If you could do that, I would be all for it.. you'd save big money and have 2 corners locked up for 5 years. I'm just trying to think of what team would really do that though.. Maybe Arizona would try to make another splash and trade for JC? 

I like the idea of the CB or S/CB double dip.. the other one I would be all for is the Robinson+ Metchie double dip. They are both guys who probably go mid to late 2nd round but if either one slipped into the 3rd I'd be all for drafting one in the 2nd and trading up in the 3rd to get the other. 

I used a draft simulator and I traded the 1st rd Jackson pick This is what the Pats ended up with at the end of 2nd. trade with Bears they picked up 50 in a previous trade

1st 21 Kaiir Elam

2nd  39 Kyler Gordon

2nd  50 Jahan Dotson

2nd   54  Phidarian Mathis

I know its crazy but they need multiple picks to fill spots on the roster.

I wouldn't mind Christian Watson as a mid-round WR. After the combine or pro day 40 times he may move up a bit and be out of where the Patriots are likely to pick a WR this year. 

I would love to get Nakobe Dean in the !st, Justyn Ross in the 2nd and Watson 4th or 5th.

8 hours ago, jofos said:

Christian Watson

Great call on CW. He remind me of Robby Anderson.

8 hours ago, jofos said:

Nakobe Dean

Don't hold your breath on this one unless BB change his scheme, which I doubt will ever happen.  Dean is only 6' 225 LBS and in BB D he would be dead by the 5th game.  He's a chaser not a plugger.

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Don't hold your breath on this one unless BB change his scheme, which I doubt will ever happen.  Dean is only 6' 225 LBS and in BB D he would be dead by the 5th game.  He's a chaser not a plugger.

I'm agreeing more and more with this philosophy. It would require a major overhaul of the defense to accommodate the change in LB's, not just the LB's but the DL too. I think the best situation is go to a hybrid model of ILB.. all rotational players which can be flexed in and out on a weekly basis based on the opponent. BB may already be doing this too with the drafting of Uche /Mcgrone. You have a couple thumpers ( Bentley and a draft pick) then you have a couple speed guys ( Mcgrone / Uche and a draft pick). Mcgrone / Uche / Dugger / Phillips may even be enough there because they seem to prefer using a safety instead of the fast LB. If that's the case they should draft another safety though. 

Either way at least right now a lot of the improvement to the defense depends on Mcgrone / Uche improving and getting playing time.. not a solid bet, i know.