Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

34 minutes ago, m haynes said:

If I'm drafting, I want my WRs picked MOSTLY in the 3/4/5 RD. with my eye on the WRs that drops (dumb GMs) because of some measurable.  Kupp, Renfrow and McLaurin. It happen every year.

Yeah I wouldn't have a problem with you drafting for the Patriots in all seriousness. The problem for the Patriots as Kraft has acknowledged is that Belichick&co. suck at draft evaluation and execution. They did better last year but it had been a decade of poor performance in the draft. Everyone gets lucky at some point within an 11 year period of drafting.

45 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Yeah I wouldn't have a problem with you drafting for the Patriots in all seriousness

Thanks, I really appreciate the comment.

47 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

They did better last year

That's the big question. Who, the guys that went to the Raiders???  IMO this is going on history and comments mentioned over the years and results about BB and the draft. 

Look I'm not a  "word smith " so you have to give me a lot of leeway here but the word I come up with is lazy when it comes to the draft and I don't a have word but when he over rules and goes against the scouts that did the work. BB, why bother with all that crap when I can talk to people I know. I' not saying trust because he listen to someone on Harry and Meyers with the Gators. Imagine trusting that guy!!!

Look I know Lazy might not be correct but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I think Kraft did !!!!

Pats draft will be just as good as last year if BB let scouts do their  job and listens to them.

PS I think the same when it comes to trades. lazy or foolish!   Jimmy G for a 2nd RD pick!!!!!  Why (said by media) he didn't want to deal with Browns which is IMO total crap.  Also Mason for a 5th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that all you can get, than don't trade him.  Salary Cap my butt!!!

I don't believe that all they could get and I know 100% on this board agrees with me, Well maybe!!!🤣

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Thanks, I really appreciate the comment.

That's the big question. Who, the guys that went to the Raiders???  IMO this is going on history and comments mentioned over the years and results about BB and the draft. 

Zeigler was a pro guy not a draft guy.. sure he was part of the draft but that wasn't his specialty. 

Kraft's comments on wanting to build predominantly through the draft are why Groh got promoted and not Wolf. I have a feeling he was a major part of that draft board last year and got the promotion because of it. 

Regarding late WR: 

- I think anything that late is throwing things against the wall anyway. A guy we aren't talking about is Tre Nixon.. he has all the measureables to be great, I'm AMAZED he isn't attached to Mac's hip this offseason.. I know that's what I would be doing in that situation. If you build a relationship on the field with Mac that can be the difference between getting playing time and getting cut. I'm all for throwing things against the wall and seeing how it goes.

- I agree that RD 3 is a great spot for WR.. Isn't that where the Steelers have been historically amazing at getting guys? 

Metchie is the only guy I would bother taking top 3 rounds this year .. after him I would feast in the 6th

- Bo Melton, he could be a vertical slot for Mac.. used in a similar way to how Metchie was at Alabama with Mac

- Tyquan Thornton, track star.. big play threat on day 3.. don't expect him to be a #1 but he can add something to the offense

- UDFA Slade Bolden, he's not an athlete but he does have an elite 10 yard split surprisingly.. he could be a dependable Meyers replacement behind Metchie/Melton

Take guys based off athleticism alone and see how they develop. If you aren't taking a top 3 round guy 

45 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I've kind of soured on Metchie. I seem him mocked to the Patriots a ton and I just don't see it. I would rather take a flyer on a higher upside guy like Pickens.

• He isn't going to be elite but he will be very good for a long time, I think he's a safe pick that projects well to this offense
  • Saban has loved him for a long time.. that matters to BB 
  • Mac loves him.. and while he isn't at that level to ask for a player.. I'm sure he will give him a glowing review to BB
  • Versatility .. they value this a lot.. Pickens is an X .. Metchie can play all over the field.. inside, outside, he can do it all on a week to week basis. For a gameplan team they want to be able to scheme up plays on offense and being able to move Metchie around helps. 
  • If he didn't get injured he is likely a late first round pick 

The team has bigger needs, sure.. which is pretty much why it probably won't happen. But if they are going to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.. it's probably Metchie

4 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I've kind of soured on Metchie. I seem him mocked to the Patriots a ton and I just don't see it. I would rather take a flyer on a higher upside guy like Pickens.

IMO You get caught up with others WRs because your read and see in the news or hear how great they are or the upside is just to much to pass on.  What I'm saying there in the news!

I do the same thing. Metchie is boring,there's no flash all you hear is Pats and the injury. All I hear is Watson, Watson and more Watson.  I keep reminding myself why I liked Metchie at the start of all this draft stuff.

He shined at a big school, excelled  in big games, runs the whole tree with good hands and he can play all positions. He been doing it for years. You know he's the closet thing to can't miss. Played with Mac, and he's pro, ready to go day one.

He's a again boring, 1st down Mitchie !!!!!

PS     I did the opposite with Dotson I loved his game at the beginning however I watched him at the combine and was completely disappointed.  I have to remember not to judge to quickly.

Same with Daxton Hill,  loved, than hated, now happily ever after !!!!

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

The moment you've all been waiting for lol 

I'm willing to take on Bolden as a UDFA if they draft Armour-Davis 

Screw that I'll put Bolden up at my house with anything he needs, if they draft Armour-Davis !!!!🤣

• Like 1

As funny as it is to mess with Slade, I would be amazed if he isn't brought in as a UDFA or even picked in the 7th. 

While his 40 is bad, I can't imagine it is worse than Meyers. If you want a possession receiver to replace him.. you could certainly do worse. People keep harping on his 40.. but what possession receiver is running 40 yard routes? You would want him to be a chain mover.. solid hand and get us 5-10 yards a reception. If over time they go to more of a spread offense with more receivers on the field he would consistently be the dink and dunk option to get small chunk yardage whenever you need it. 

His positives: 

• Very good 10 yard split of 1.52 so he has some explosiveness ( which dies off after 10 yards) 
  • Very good shuttle time 
  • He hits the 7 second 3-cone which the Patriots love 
  • His athletic stats are almost EXACTLY Wes Welker.. which makes sense for why Billy O would have him compared to Welker ( He is NOWHERE near the athlete Edelman was) 
  • I think he could be a good punt returner day 1
  • Versatile.. has experience playing QB/RB as well as WR .. so BB may like that previously QB lineage 
  • He doesn't have big stats.. and didn't have a huge role.. but if he wasn't part of a STACKED Alabama WR group.. if he was at another school he could have put up big stats too
  • He has some Taysom Hill to him.. BB does love WR's who can throw a TD

You aren't adding Bolden for measurables... if you want an athlete in the slot, Tre Nixon is a great athlete.. you're taking him because he worked in a similar system, has experience with Mac, and is a good route runner. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I think he could be a good punt returner day 1

This is the major reason I would take him in the 7th RD. The other is he can play WR, actually run routes and catch the ball. He has additional value.

It drove me crazy having Gunner on the team. He could not give you anything but ST. WR he was pathetic. All you need in today's game is a PR that can CATCH the ball. That's it. I don't care if he gives me one yard!!! The way punter kick today and with kicker kicking it out of the end zone with ease and rule changes, there is no need for the next Devin Hester.

Also nothing drove me nuts when Bailey was told by BB to not kick off into the end zone for field position. Theory great practice awfully miss tackle they're  out at the 35, or the Pats defense was so bad that it didn't matter!!!

If I'm the Pats I would compare Slades speed and quickness to Meyers. If he looks just as good or better I take him and see if there's a market for Meyers.

We need draft choices and any player going into FA in 2023 and most likely be leaving are up for trade. Top of my head!!

Meyers

Harris

Wynn

Any other ?

You trade Wynn, I'm fine with OT in the 1st RD. Pats use their picks and the additional ones to trade into the 2/3 rounds .

To walk away with 4 plays in rd 2/3 would be ideal.

6 minutes ago, m haynes said:

It drove me crazy having Gunner on the team. He could not give you anything but ST. WR he was pathetic. All you need in today's game is a PR that can CATCH the ball. That's it. I don't care if he gives me one yard!!! The way punter kick today and with kicker kicking it out of the end zone with ease and rule changes, there is no need for the next Devin Hester.

The nice thing about Bolden is he can give more than that.. i think he could give near Gunnar Punt return ability because he's actually pretty agile. 

If I'm the Pats I would compare Slades speed and quickness to Meyers. If he looks just as good or better I take him and see if there's a market for Meyers.

I think this is EXACTLY what is happening when they are working him out. Make him run Meyers routes.. time him.. go over the tape and see how he fits in the offense. I know they don't have a lot of room on the roster this year, but next year barely anyone is signed.. you could have him get a phantom injury at the end of camp.. IR him, then he could play next year when Meyers/Agholor are gone. 

We need draft choices and any player going into FA in 2023 and most likely be leaving are up for trade. Top of my head!!

Meyers

Harris

Wynn

Any other ?

You trade Wynn, I'm fine with OT in the 1st RD. Pats use their picks and the additional ones to trade into the 2/3 rounds .

To walk away with 4 plays in rd 2/3 would be ideal.

Give me 5 top 100 picks and 10 draft picks total. They can get a bunch of developmental depth late and day 1 contributors in the top 100. 

Guys on last year of deal and potential draft replacements:

- Bolden can replace Meyers in the 7th / UDFA as possession slot ( i would still get a speed slot too though)

- John Metchie / Bo Melton / Tyquan Thornton could replace Agholor at WR  

- Hassan Haskins from Michigan could be a guy they like to replace Harris in the 5th/6th ( won't be as good as harris but good second guy to Stevenson) 

- Marcus Jones could replace Jonathan Jones in the 3rd/4th ( Shaun Wade could too) 

- Perrion Winfrey/ Phidarian Mathis / Devonte Wyatt could replace Davon Gaudchaux at DT 

- Daxton Hill / Nick Cross / JT Woods could replace McCourty at FS 

- Penning / Tom could replace Wynn at LT 

- Matt Araiza can replace Bailey at Punter

- Zyon McCollum / Jalyn Armour-Davis could replace JoeJuan Williams at CB 

They have a lot of guys on the way out.. LT feels very much like next years first round pick unless they get lucky on a guy .. but they can fill a lot of needs this draft. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, m haynes said:

I don't believe that all they could get and I know 100% on this board agrees with me, Well maybe!!!🤣

I thought he would get traded for a fourth but not to Tampa. A fifth is probably a little low. Another questionable decision by them.

4 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I thought he would get traded for a fourth but not to Tampa. A fifth is probably a little low. Another questionable decision by them.

I'll happily remain the idiot who believes he is worth a late second .. when Brady came back and their OG when to the Bengals I thought they would pay up to get him and make one last run. 60 for Mason and I trade him 10 times out of 10.. same with 91 tbo.. it's that 5th that's the gut punch

I am hoping they make some trades of their veteran guys and acquire more picks in this year's draft, realistically on day three. Agholor, Jonathan Jones (doubtful but probably worth it), Harry, Jonnu, Wynn. 

I think we're going to see an early double dip at both WR and OL. TE and DL are the other positions I think that will be drafted early too.

I think I'll be surprised if there is an early LB or S taken,. I think corner will be a later pick unless a first round consensus on their board falls into their lap late on day 2 and the rest of their guys are gone at TE/WR/OL/DL. Lastly, a QB or RB I don't rule out either in this draft, much to the dismay of a lot of people who would hope for a LB or versatile safety.

8 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I am hoping they make some trades of their veteran guys and acquire more picks in this year's draft, realistically on day three. Agholor, Jonathan Jones (doubtful but probably worth it), Harry, Jonnu, Wynn. 

I think we're going to see an early double dip at both WR and OL. TE and DL are the other positions I think that will be drafted early too.

I think I'll be surprised if there is an early LB or S taken,. I think corner will be a later pick unless a first round consensus on their board falls into their lap late on day 2 and the rest of their guys are gone at TE/WR/OL/DL. Lastly, a QB or RB I don't rule out either in this draft, much to the dismay of a lot of people who would hope for a LB or versatile safety.

I think we will see some.. but they will all be for next year. All of the movement for this years draft will be trade backs with the picks they already have imo. 

• If they draft a LT first two rounds.. I think they could trade Wynn to someone for a conditional future 3rd ( they will want to recoup that Parker pick) 
  • If they draft a WR they love.. they could trade Agholor for a future 4th or 5th maybe
  • Harry.. a conditional 6th? 
  • Jonnu isn't going anywhere my friend 

I don't see how an early double dip at WR happens.. Parker/Bourne/Meyers are locked in .. early picks you want them to play.. they are a running team, i dont see it happening. 

Devonte Wyatt or Perrion Winfrey are DL i could see being surprised ( Guadchaux could be a surprise camp cut / trade too). 

Safety still makes sense.. they are going to a safety heavy defense ( also why i dont think LB happens.. they will use more safeties there instead).