Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I would move him for a mid/early fourth at worst but I don't expect that to happen. This year is full of bargain bin RB's that can do a lot of good things.

Which is why I wouldn't expect him to be traded before / during the draft. During the draft teams will feel like they can just get a guy. What I do think could happen is BB drafting a RB in the 4th again ( James Cook / Brian Robinson) which leaves them with a surplus at the position like last year. BB's plan could be to just draft an Alabama RB in the 3rd/4th every 3 years and rotate them out till he retires.  That idea just furthers my thought that day 2 is amazing in this draft.. screw day 1, give me ALL the day 2 picks ( 5 please)

During training camp.. let's say one of the following get hurt: 

• Derrick Henry 
  • Nick Chub
  • Aaron Jones
  • Josh Jacobs
  • Joe Mixon 

I cant think of anyone else off the top of my head.. but basically any playoff team could lose their RB and call the Patriots about Harris. If/when that happens, the Patriots will have some level of leverage and can try to squeeze a better deal out of a team. 

How can you justify trading Harris for a 4th when you got a 4th and 6th for Sony? If a playoff team loses their RB for the year.. and thinks they have a chance to compete for a championship.. they will give up a 3rd to get Harris.

Edited by Crimmage

7 hours ago, Crimmage said:

That idea just furthers my thought that day 2 is amazing in this draft.. screw day 1, give me ALL the day 2 picks ( 5 please)

I would leave the door open slightly but he better be smoken hot!!!!!!🤣

Jordan Davis and Travis Jones and that's it. I really like Wyatt but he's to much like Barmore. I need the Joe Klecko not Mark Gastineau type.

7 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Patriots will have some level of leverage and can try to squeeze a better deal out of a team. 

I understand what your saying however that would mean the Pats are drafting a guy that sit until he's gone. They don't have that luxury. They need players now that will contribute or learn as they go.  

But you are probably right because BB will sit rookies which I hate. Many times the guys that sits are BB draft bust. Can you say TE and WR !!! 

Let me clear the rookies sitting, fine if you are a established team not ok when 99% of position is up for grabs!!

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

I understand what your saying however that would mean the Pats are drafting a guy that sit until he's gone.

I disagree, if they draft James Cook / Brian Robinson / Kyren Williams in the 3rd/4th round, that player will 100% play this year. 

• Damien Harris as much as I love him has gotten injured last couple of years.. so even if he stays you'll need a 3rd RB that can play 
  • James White had a really bad injury.. we don't know how good he will be.. and they may want to ease him back in / put him in a rotation 
  • JJ Taylor is a guy who I thought had great potential but I feel like the team would have used him at this point if they felt that way 

All it takes is one injury and you have Bolden playing huge snaps.. oh wait.. you don't have Bolden anymore.. you need another RB if you are going to have an offense that is so dependent on the running game. 

Another amazing thing is if you get someone like Cook you can diversify your play calling more.. Harris like Sony before him you pretty much know it's going to be run or PA... but with James White and I believe Stevenson.. you could be throwing to the RB more and disguise what you are doing better. 

Stevenson + Cook + White is a pretty awesome backfield 

Now imagine you get that RB at 127 this year.. trade Harris in training camp for a 4th next year.. and you basically get the younger, cost controlled player for "free" 

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

JJ Taylor is a guy who I thought had great potential but I feel like the team would have used him at this point if they felt that way 

ehh it's the Patriots though... they're not exactly a well oiled machine the last few years and certainly haven't been anything but lucky to have had Brady when they did

12 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I disagree, if they draft James Cook / Brian Robinson / Kyren Williams in the 3rd/4th round, that player will 100% play this year. 

• Damien Harris as much as I love him has gotten injured last couple of years.. so even if he stays you'll need a 3rd RB that can play 
  • James White had a really bad injury.. we don't know how good he will be.. and they may want to ease him back in / put him in a rotation 
  • JJ Taylor is a guy who I thought had great potential but I feel like the team would have used him at this point if they felt that way 

All it takes is one injury and you have Bolden playing huge snaps.. oh wait.. you don't have Bolden anymore.. you need another RB if you are going to have an offense that is so dependent on the running game. 

Another amazing thing is if you get someone like Cook you can diversify your play calling more.. Harris like Sony before him you pretty much know it's going to be run or PA... but with James White and I believe Stevenson.. you could be throwing to the RB more and disguise what you are doing better. 

Stevenson + Cook + White is a pretty awesome backfield 

Now imagine you get that RB at 127 this year.. trade Harris in training camp for a 4th next year.. and you basically get the younger, cost controlled player for "free" 

You are right I completely forgot Bolden is gone.  

I would make no judgement on Taylor. BB has done crazy things over the years when it comes to RBs. 

I like Cook however I will be shocked if they don't take a big back like Harris,but again its BB ... crazy things!

I going on pure logic. I don't see Harris coming back after this year. I don't like the BJGE approach. He did the same thing with TEs after Gronk. I hope he learned a lesson.  Wasted a 100 picks and spent 100 million and they still have problems at that position. I'm not a fan of Smith complete waste of money One last thing, he did the same thing with the Sony pick. IMO. Where was the plan, so you not drafting a frigging RB in the 1st RD. They should of picked up (planned 2017) a  RB like  Stevenson earlier.  2017 Draft was a disaster!!

Where is a the plan that left you taking Sony. James Conners , Kareem Hunt ( what happen later with him is not the point)  and others could of been the next in line !!!! Also I don't by the augment, his talent was the reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NFL_Draft

PS You might not want to look at this draft. You might get sick!!!!

Edited by m haynes

The one thing I'll give JJ is that Mac at least believes in him enough to invite him to the offseason throwing sessions. If he were to have a dominant camp / preseason he could finally get some run ( if he doesn't fumble). 

The big back is Stevenson, isn't it? Stevenson is a legit 3 down guy.. i think they will throw to him even more this season. 

The homer in me may be showing, but I'll make a few comments on the 2017 draft: 

• Rivers was a small school, athletic stud coming out.. 9.6 RAS .. 4.6 40, under 7s 3-cone .. he wasn't injured in college but injured ruined his chances in the NFL
    • In the 3rd round, I think you take that risk.. especially on a team as good as the Patriots were back then
  • Garcia got blood clots after being drafted.. i'm not sure we can hold that pick against them
    • Their history of drafting OL means he was probably going to be good 
  • Wise is on his second contract and it's obvious BB thinks highly of him.. i think he's meh but as a 4th round pick.. getting another contract has to be seen as a hit in the draft 
  • McDermmitt was a 6th round pick 

People talk so badly about the 2017 draft but seem to forget they only had 4 picks.. one forced to retire with blood clots and another who had unexpected injuries destroy their career. 

My attempt at a "What will Bill actually do" Mock: 

Pats trade 21 for 23 and 87

23: Bernhard Raimann: Huge, converted TE .. future LT hopefully.. probably the oldest player to be drafted in the 1st round 

54: Leo Chenal: Huge, Old School LB.. BB's favorite 

85: Zyon McCollum: Clasic BB .. taking a DB a. round or two earlier than people think they should be drafted 

Pats trade 87 for 96 and 116

96: Luke Goedeke: T and G versatility .. could be day 1 LG 

116: Brian Robinson: RB, ALABAMA

142: Jalyn Armour-Davis: CB, BB double dip at a position, ALABAMA

158: Marquan McCall: NT, big guy to clog up the middle 

170: Matt Araiza: LEFT footed punter, cut/trade Bailey to save 4M cap space

Pats Trade 200 and 211 for 171

171: Bo Melton: WR, Special Teams, RUTGERS! 

210: Jason Poe: IOL, Small School, Day 3 OL depth 

Priority Free Agent: Slade Bolden come on down 

55 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

People talk so badly about the 2017

You might want to take a look again strart at 62 original pick!!!  We are talking RB and planning ahead. Well take a look at pick 67 🤢 and just to add to the misery ... 69 Cooper Kupp.

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Rivers was a small school, athletic stud coming out.. 9.6 RAS .. 4.6 40, under 7s 3-cone

In general, I'm not a fan with numbers. Also I'm not a fan of drafting small school players before the 4th RD.  I look at odd when I (gamble) draft and the odds are the will fail.

Ex  I think that any GM takes Willis over several QBs in this draft is nuts.  IMO He's the next Lance,  right now, behind closed doors. San Frans Coach and GM are in complete panic ! When it blows up I wonder who will throw the other under the bus.

11 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

My attempt at a "What will Bill actually do" Mock: 

Pats trade 21 for 23 and 87

23: Bernhard Raimann: Huge, converted TE .. future LT hopefully.. probably the oldest player to be drafted in the 1st round 

54: Leo Chenal: Huge, Old School LB.. BB's favorite 

85: Zyon McCollum: Clasic BB .. taking a DB a. round or two earlier than people think they should be drafted 

Pats trade 87 for 96 and 116

96: Luke Goedeke: T and G versatility .. could be day 1 LG 

116: Brian Robinson: RB, ALABAMA

158: Marquan McCall: NT, big guy to clog up the middle 

170: Matt Araiza: LEFT footed punter, cut/trade Bailey to save 4M cap space

Pats Trade 200 and 211 for 171

171: Bo Melton: WR, Special Teams, RUTGERS! 

210: Jason Poe: IOL, Small School, Day 3 OL depth 

Priority Free Agent: Slade Bolden come on down 

If its not any trouble, alternatives for the picks. Just one or two. Picks just to 23 to 116.  EX passed on Hill and Penning and Davis at 23.

I know you mentioned what BB would do so I assumed you still used a simulator. I'm not using it to debate but it is frustrating watching  every year guys you love in the draft and he passes them by. I want to see who you think he will pass on. Maybe start my frustration early!!  Ha Ha 🤣

PS BB finally hits HR 

31 minutes ago, m haynes said:

If its not any trouble, alternatives for the picks. Just one or two. Picks just to 23 to 116.  EX passed on Hill and Penning and Davis at 23.

I know you mentioned what BB would do so I assumed you still used a simulator. I'm not using it to debate but it is frustrating watching  every year guys you love in the draft and he passes them by. I want to see who you think he will pass on. Maybe start my frustration early!!  Ha Ha 🤣

PS BB finally hits HR 

At 23, passed on: Nakobe Dean, Devonte Wyatt, Andrew Booth Jr, Chris Olave, Kaiir Elam, Daxton Hill

For what it's worth I don't think BB would pass on Davis under any circumstances. 

54, passed on: Chad Muma, Quary Walker, Troy Anderson, John Metchie

At 85, passed on: Phidarian Mathis, Wan'Dale Robinson, Khalil Shakir, James Cook

I'll also note that I don't necessarily think that's a bad draft.. i think I'd feel pretty good after that draft. I'm just not really a Chenel guy.. and don't like how old Raimainn is. Otherwise I'm a fan of a bunch of the picks I think they would do. 

You could include a Wynn for a 4th trade somewhere too ... but that probably wouldn't happen till camp

Edited by Crimmage

17 hours ago, Crimmage said:

54, passed on: Chad Muma, Quary Walker, Troy Anderson, John Metchie

This is the one I have trouble with. Not saying good or bad however I would like to see the tapes they look at when they evaluate players. That's the only way you can judge Walker or Anderson.

Leo Chenal   IMO what you see is what you get.

Walker is a harder to evaluate, was it (talent) him or was it the defense players that elevated his game. EX Jennings I new he was a bust when we picked him.  He was a product of the players and system at Bama. Next one is Harris has no clue mental part of game.

Anderson  Here the biggest challenge. I not concerned with him playing in the NFL it's the ceiling that determines where he goes in the draft. IMO he looks to have the most upside in the draft. He could be the next Luke Kuechly with good coaching and concentrating 24/7 on football.  His body and game needs to be polished. He has the everything else.