Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

Call me crazy, but I wonder if all this buzz about Zion Johnson to the Patriots isn't for him to actually be LG.

He tested very well athletically.. and is the exact same size as Wynn, what are the odds they think he can be LT? He could start as a rookie at LG, then move over to LT when Wynn is gone. 

Seems like they want the right side of the line to be huge and powerful.. then the left side smaller and more athletic? Would be interesting to see what they think, especially if they want to try him out at LT then worse case scenario put him back at LG

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Call me crazy, but I wonder if all this buzz about Zion Johnson to the Patriots isn't for him to actually be LG.

He tested very well athletically.. and is the exact same size as Wynn, what are the odds they think he can be LT? He could start as a rookie at LG, then move over to LT when Wynn is gone. 

Seems like they want the right side of the line to be huge and powerful.. then the left side smaller and more athletic? Would be interesting to see what they think, especially if they want to try him out at LT then worse case scenario put him back at LG

Notice in my mock I didn't put OT next to Zion Johnson, I put "OL". He has long arms, large hands, comes from BC which is notable academically and for its program's history with offensive lineman, and the head coach is a former OSU defensive backs coach who I believe crossed over with Bill's friend Meyer in some form or fashion. Zion met with the Patriots at the combine and seeing as he has lived in Newton, MA during his college career it stands to reason that the Pats might have an inside track on this.

Good point, the rest of the league wants huge LT's .. but BB seems to have a little bit of a system going with his OL. 

Seems like he wants it to get bigger from left to right lol. I suppose it makes sense, edge defenders are getting smaller and faster on the LT side so it makes sense if they want guys who will keep up with that. Then they can have bigger guys on the right side to play bully ball. 

The same could be said about Kenyon Green, who looks even a little bigger than Zion by about 10 pounds. 

• Bernhard Raimann 
    • Hand Size 10.25
    • Arm Length 32.87
    • Weight 303
    • Bench 30
    • 3-Cone 7.46
    • Vertical 30.5
  • Trevor Penning 
    • Hand Size 10.12
    • Arm Length 34.12
    • Weight 325
    • Bench 28
    • 3-Cone 7.25
    • Vertical 28
  • Zion Johnson
    • Hand Size 10.62
    • Arm Length 34
    • Weight 314
    • Bench 32
    • 3-Cone 7.38
    • Vertical 32
  • Kenyon Green
    • Hand Size 10.37
    • Arm Length 34.12
    • Weight 323
    • Bench 20
    • 3-Cone - 
    • Vertical 26

These are the OL that we would expect to go between 20-32. It's actually really interesting when you put them side by side stats wise ( let's assume for this the Patriots like the Tape on all of them). 

- I don't think the Patriots care about height on a LT, so that's not a factor to me 

- Arm Length Zion has everyone beat ... and is barely missing out in terms of hand size 

- Zion easily beat everyone on the bench.. that strength to arm length/hand size combo has to be big to the coaching staff.. you'll be able to hit a guy more quickly and with more power than some of these other guys to keep them away from your QB longer. 

- Vertical is an explosiveness stat.. how quickly are you able to get off the snap and go after your target.. Zion is once again the best at that 

- 3-Cone is all about agility.. with how fast edge rushers are nowadays, can you keep up with them? Zion is just behind Penning on this one ( who is a walking penalty waiting to happen)

I had dismissed Zion previously because I don't want OG in the first round.. and really want to trade back.. but if they see him as Wynn's replacement, I trust them to take him over the other 3 guys listed above. Put him at LG year 1, then move over to LT next year. I'm not in love with OL in the first.. but that plan makes a lot more sense to me than taking a LG in the first round when you have 5+ major needs

Do we know what teams are projected to want him after the Patriots? I wonder if trading back is still an option if they want Zion.. it looks like a bunch of teams in the 20's could use some OL help. 

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 6:34 AM, Heymangold said:

doing a mock draft over in the GM Mocks (last chance mock).  would y'all be on board with perrion winfrey in the 2nd? leaning there or kinnard (OG).

I suspect they'll go with Kinnard (but I might be projecting because that is who I'd take).  He and Winfrey are equally good but OG seems a greater need.

12 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I suspect they'll go with Kinnard (but I might be projecting because that is who I'd take).  He and Winfrey are equally good but OG seems a greater need.

went with Kinnard - Winfrey actually went the pick before me.  so far i've taken Booth and Kinnard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Do we know what teams are projected to want him after the Patriots? I wonder if trading back is still an option if they want Zion.. it looks like a bunch of teams in the 20's could use some OL help. 

The Patriots would probably take Zion at 21 but might like Zion's chances of being around later in the first along with several other prospects that the additional picks from a trade represent the best value to them, (especially if they like this draft class - whatever that's worth since they're generally blow the draft).

Best case scenario if the Pats want Zion the most from the people available at 21 is that they get him later in a trade down.

3 hours ago, Heymangold said:

good to know.  i'll keep an eye on IOL throughout the draft! anywhere else to target?

I think you've nailed their two most glaring needs.  Their wants?  Look for two edgers:  a big one at DE and a fast one at WLB.  (At 23rd, the pass rush win rate wasn't stellar last year.) Ponder Dominique Robinson at #185.  If available, OLBs Brian Asamoah at #181 and Adam Anderson at #201 or #211 won't play in many Pro Bowls but may be serviceable tailenders.

See if you can find a quick YAC WR among the coffee grinds later;  needless to say, grab John Metchie III if he's there at #85.  Speaking of Alabama, consider TE Jahleel Billingsley with your final pick.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Good point, the rest of the league wants huge LT's .. but BB seems to have a little bit of a system going with his OL. 

Seems like he wants it to get bigger from left to right lol. I suppose it makes sense, edge defenders are getting smaller and faster on the LT side so it makes sense if they want guys who will keep up with that. Then they can have bigger guys on the right side to play bully ball. 

The same could be said about Kenyon Green, who looks even a little bigger than Zion by about 10 pounds. 

• Bernhard Raimann 
    • Hand Size 10.25
    • Arm Length 32.87
    • Weight 303
    • Bench 30
    • 3-Cone 7.46
    • Vertical 30.5
  • Trevor Penning 
    • Hand Size 10.12
    • Arm Length 34.12
    • Weight 325
    • Bench 28
    • 3-Cone 7.25
    • Vertical 28
  • Zion Johnson
    • Hand Size 10.62
    • Arm Length 34
    • Weight 314
    • Bench 32
    • 3-Cone 7.38
    • Vertical 32
  • Kenyon Green
    • Hand Size 10.37
    • Arm Length 34.12
    • Weight 323
    • Bench 20
    • 3-Cone - 
    • Vertical 26

These are the OL that we would expect to go between 20-32. It's actually really interesting when you put them side by side stats wise ( let's assume for this the Patriots like the Tape on all of them). 

- I don't think the Patriots care about height on a LT, so that's not a factor to me 

- Arm Length Zion has everyone beat ... and is barely missing out in terms of hand size 

- Zion easily beat everyone on the bench.. that strength to arm length/hand size combo has to be big to the coaching staff.. you'll be able to hit a guy more quickly and with more power than some of these other guys to keep them away from your QB longer. 

- Vertical is an explosiveness stat.. how quickly are you able to get off the snap and go after your target.. Zion is once again the best at that 

- 3-Cone is all about agility.. with how fast edge rushers are nowadays, can you keep up with them? Zion is just behind Penning on this one ( who is a walking penalty waiting to happen)

I had dismissed Zion previously because I don't want OG in the first round.. and really want to trade back.. but if they see him as Wynn's replacement, I trust them to take him over the other 3 guys listed above. Put him at LG year 1, then move over to LT next year. I'm not in love with OL in the first.. but that plan makes a lot more sense to me than taking a LG in the first round when you have 5+ major needs

Holy crap I forgot all about Zion playing tackle. at BC. Watched him play. He was awesome. I remember them talking about going to the NFL and he'd be better off as a guard.  I thought they were crazy. The next time I watched he was playing guard. He killed it that game as well. You might have something there. He has more value if they think LT.  I would guess right now that he's a pick at 21 for the Patriots. I would like to see a trade down however not sure they would risk it, if thats who they want.

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Holy crap I forgot all about Zion playing tackle. at BC. Watched him play. He was awesome. I remember them talking about going to the NFL and he'd be better off as a guard.  I thought they were crazy. The next time I watched he was playing guard. He killed it that game as well. You might have something there. He has more value if they think LT.  I would guess right now that he's a pick at 21 for the Patriots. I would like to see a trade down however not sure they would risk it, if thats who they want.

yup, he was LG in 2019 and 2021, but was LT all of 2020 and 1 game in 2021. 

I'm not sure of BC's situation for moving him back to LG but based off glancing at the stats doesn't look like he was awful there. 

Zion looked good at center too during Senior Bowl week. Probably a guy they'd like at 21. Although if McDuffie or Jameson Williams are there I doubt they pass. Kenyon Green would be a strong consideration as well. And although I am not a big fan compared to these other prospects, Trevor Penning is a guy they'd probably take at 21 if available too, but not ahead of McDuffie or Williams I'd have to believe.

I also think Dean could be a major consideration if they want to go the tiny LB route. 

That and I woudln't be surprised if they love Olave there. Guys with refined route running and larger route trees in college seem like their type, especially given his athleticism. Groh mentioned being aggressive about getting receivers, he could have just meant the Parker trade but I wouldn't 100% say they won't take a receiver if Williams/Olave are there at 21. 

47 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I also think Dean could be a major consideration if they want to go the tiny LB route. 

That and I woudln't be surprised if they love Olave there. Guys with refined route running and larger route trees in college seem like their type, especially given his athleticism. Groh mentioned being aggressive about getting receivers, he could have just meant the Parker trade but I wouldn't 100% say they won't take a receiver if Williams/Olave are there at 21. 

Olave or Dean would be fine value at 21. Not my favorites but fine.