Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

So I was wondering, fellow Pats fans….

I know some are for cutting Jake Bailey ($$$) [I’m not in favor, but wasn’t a fan of cutting Ryan Allen either lol]

Also, Nick Folk is as elite as can be. The guy stepped in when called upon after being out of football, and has been a model of consistency and reliability.. but honestly, did we expect what he’s given us thus far? No.

Can we count on it forever? I give you Stephen Gostkowski….

Does every backup plan workout? I give you Quinn Nordin, Justin Rohrwasser…

Which leads me to my main point. IF… the Patriots were to go all in (7th round/UDFA is “all in” obviously 😉) on a replacement for one of the positions, which would you prefer?

I hate the idea of dumping Folk. The guy has been incredible. I also hate the idea of dumping Jake Bailey. for every one of him, there’s a Zoltan Mesko out there.

It’s really tough to say (kicker or punter replacement) without hindsight.

A prospect, I love though, Andrew Mevis from Iowa State.

This guy can do it ALL… literally. And do it all well, at that.

https://cyclones.com/sports/football/roster/andrew-mevis/11387

I don't know anything about kickers in this class.. Nordin is still here, so i feel like they probably saw him as a good developmental guy. To me, it seems like they will likely ride with Folk this year, then if they feel he's about to fall off a cliff they can draft someone next year. 

The only note that we can see for kickers is they seem to want to draft guys who have experience in cold weather. 

Regarding the punter.. Araiza is seen as a generational talent at the position ( and is also a kicker) .. it seems very likely they would fall in love with him.. then cut Bailey to save 4M

@Crimmage

Articles I’ve read, I’ve seen more than a few guys tout this as one of the greatest kicking/punting classes EVER.

For whatever that is worth 🤣🤣 I feel like all the talk has been on Matt Araiza though and it’s overshadowing the rest of the class.

I liked the Nordin signing. He wasn’t very consistent at Michigan, (and went on to go 4-7 on extra points in the preseason with NE as well), but he has a big leg and showed good things going on that kicking streak in training camp when Folk wasn’t around before the preseason started.

I am in favor of keeping Folk another season for sure though.

My thing is, I feel our fan base has craved seeing a punter/kicker in one, especially since Gostkowski left.

We’ve all heard the calls for Jake Bailey to kick, no denying that one.

Mevis is a guy that actually DOES kick and punt though. Maybe I’m overthinking a roster spot that likely won’t even be open, but Mevis is a guy I’d want as UDFA over a guy like Araiza in the 5/6th.

Power is the big thing with Araiza, but how often do we expect the offense to need to punt 60+ yards? Hopefully not a lot. I do get the hype for him though.

I just can’t get behind dumping Bailey for Araiza myself 😕

• Like 1

“Mevis put together a record-setting campaign for the Cyclones in 2021. His 10 successful field goals from 40+ yards broke new ground. Meanwhile, his 20 field goals and 15 consecutive field goals tied program records.

Successful from over 50 yards at multiple points in his career, Mevis has a powerful lower body that will get the job done in the NFL. Reportedly, he was good from 60+ yards at the Kohl’s Pro Combine. In addition to his prowess as a placekicker, the Iowa State product has also handled punt and kickoff duties for the Cyclones this season”

-ProFootballNetwork dot com

• Like 1

the 5th round is where they like to get special teams guys.. idk what kind of guarantees Folk has but it would certainly be interesting if they draft a Punter and Kicker in the 5th. It's just tough because they have so many holes.. can they afford to use two picks on special teams in such a deep draft? 

I'd say we need 3 immediate impact guys.. 3 developmental guys who are 50/50 to contribute in the future.. and 3 boom/bust each draft ( BB averages 9 picks a draft). Depending on his trade downs he may have an opportunity to focus on special teams.. time will tell

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

the 5th round is where they like to get special teams guys.. idk what kind of guarantees Folk has but it would certainly be interesting if they draft a Punter and Kicker in the 5th. It's just tough because they have so many holes.. can they afford to use two picks on special teams in such a deep draft? 

I'd say we need 3 immediate impact guys.. 3 developmental guys who are 50/50 to contribute in the future.. and 3 boom/bust each draft ( BB averages 9 picks a draft). Depending on his trade downs he may have an opportunity to focus on special teams.. time will tell

UDFA over being drafted is my preference for those positions, but BB’s affinity with special teams means that he’s not waiting for the draft to end to get his guys lol. where it also gets tricky….

30 year old Joe Cardona’s deal expires after next season. How much is BB willing to pay him? Cardona is probably his second favorite long snapper ever. 🤣 and if he doesn’t bring him back (maybe he retires even?) that could be 3 mid round draft picks used on special teams in 2 years possibly. That’s tough 

Spot on with that last part too, my guy. If we can get 3 guys to step in right away and produce at the right positions, that’s a big win and should help us out a ton !

Hopefully one of those 3 guys are at the cornerback position too🤩

Edited by DaPatsKid98

We've talked a lot about the Patriots having almost nobody on the roster after this year.. but when it actually comes to this year they have around 70 people already under contract. 

I wonder if that makes them actually draft LESS players this year and try to push some picks towards next year. 

A trade I could potentially see them doing is with Indy: 

-> 21 for 43,73 and a 2023 3rd. 

This would allow them to focus on the 2nd/early 3rd which is the meat of this draft and recoup the 3rd they gave for Parker. This would also give them next year a boat load of picks: 1/2/3/3rd comp/4/LA 4/6/6 comp/7

It's been pretty well known that i'm meh on the 1st round.. convincing the Colts to trade up to 21 would be a great deal for BB. Whether they want a QB to sit behind Ryan or a WR to pair with him.. they've got options. 

It may be a good idea to think about some potential redshirt guys on day 3 because otherwise those guys may not be able to get on the roster this season. That or if they are just no brainer replacements for guys currently on the roster. 

I 100% agree on not trading picks for players: 

- I don't want anything to do with a high priced WR .. if they want a WR they should get one in the draft. Spending 20M+ on a WR doesn't seem like a good idea to me and BB would never do it

- Trading for someone elses problem sounds like a bad idea too... even though BB doesn't have a problem bringing in guys with a history ( Moss/AB/Gordon) .. If Joe Judge said Toney was worth getting I'm sure BB would trade something for him.. what he would trade idk.. he would probably want a deal.. like a 4th+ Harry or something 

My issue is predominately with the first round.. the value just isn't there this year unless some players fall that we don't expect to fall. 

• Jordan Davis you 100% take at 21 
  • IF they absolutely have to take a LT, then I think you have to take one at 21.. I kind of feel like Zion could be their surprise LT prospect.. or Raimmon even though he is "old" .. Penning maybe, but he is a penalty waiting to happen
  • Daxton Hill I could see happening.. he could play outside CB this year then switch to Safety next.. he's worth saying in the first imo 
  • I'm 50/50 on if I would take Chris Olave.. I would probably trade back, get Metchie in the 2nd and be happy with the extra pick I get from trading back 
  • I no longer think they go after Wyatt now that I've learned about the character concerns 
  • I don't think they would go after Dean/Lloyd given the depth at the LB position.. they will think Anderson/Walker/Chanel/Harris are better value in the 2nd

For anyone who really wants to stay at 21, I'm really just curious who is the player you want so badly there? What player do you feel is worth more than a 2nd and 3rd..? 

It's easy to not care about the picks themselves.. but let's say it's Troy Anderson in the 2nd and Zyon McCollum in the 3rd.. what 1st rounder is worth more than that? Even as much as I like Dax Hill I have a hard time liking him more than those two combined. 

Either way, the draft can't come soon enough.. I can't wait to see how BB and Groh handle this one 

I've known that Scar has been a draft consultant since he retired.. but didn't know he worked out players.. has anyone seen this before? 

It looks like Alec Lindstrom out of BC has been working out with Scar since December.. that doesn't guarantee a draft pick.. but if they were wanting to have a guy ready to start at LG day 1, that certainly seems like a great way to make it happen. 

He and Tyler Vrabel also were brought into Gillette for workouts and spent time with Billy Yates ( who should be the new OL coach). 

Lindstrom has primarily been seen as a OC at the next level because he's under 300. Comparing him to Ted Karras, he's the same height as Karras.. much more athletic.. but weaker ( 7 less reps on the Bench). 

I really wonder how much strength he will be able to add between the combine and preseason. Either way, 4 months of working out with Scar certainly seems like he's a guy they want to draft. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 9:31 PM, Crimmage said:

For anyone who really wants to stay at 21, I'm really just curious who is the player you want so badly there?

There are many players I am comfortable with the Patriots taking in the first round this year. At 21 specifically? Jordan Davis, Jameson Williams, Kenyon Green, Kyler Gordon, Trent McDuffie, Zion Johnson, Christian Harris, George Pickens.

Late first or second roundCameron Thomas, Troy Andersen, Tyler Linderbaum, Marcus Jones, John Metchie III, Calvin Austin III, Trey McBride, Josh Paschal, Phidarian Mathis, Nakobe Dean, Zyon McCollum, Andrew Booth Jr., Martin Emerson Jr., Devonte Wyatt, Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Logan Hall, Luke Goedeke, Trevor Penning.

Edited by DoleINGout

32 1st Round Picks: Troy Andersen, Zyon McCollum, Marcus Jones, Josh Paschal, George Pickens, Trey McBride, Cameron Thomas, Christian Harris, Kenny Pickett, Zion Johnson, Kyler Gordon, George Karlaftis, Darian Kinnard, Tyler Smith, Garrett Wilson, Jalen Pitre, Desmond Ridder, Matt Corral, Treylon Burks, Boye Mafe, Trent McDuffie, Kenyon Green, Travon Walker, Jameson Williams, Ikem Ekwonu, Evan Neal, Charles Cross, Kyle Hamilton, Derek Stingley, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Ahmad Gardner, Aiden Hutchinson.

Surprise Outside Looking In: Daniel Faalele, David Ojabo, Devonte Wyatt, Tyler Linderbaum, Chris Olave, Malik Willis, Trevor Penning, Andrew Booth, Nakobe Dean, Devin Lloyd, Daxton Hill, Travis Jones, Bernhard Rainnman, Drake London, Sam Howell, Roger McCreary, Jermaine Johnson III, Martin Emerson Jr., Kaiir Elam, Jahan Dotson, Jaquan Brisker, Kingsley Enagbare.

Post Texans Trade Mock, and my final mock of the year assuming no other trades before Thursday. PFF mock has some people rated all over the place but I'd be incredibly happy if this is the draft the Patriots had. 

Trade: Patriots trade 21 to Lions for 32 & 66 ( where they take a bust QB) 

32: Bernhard Raimann (What seems like a redshirt year at first.. turns into A LOT of experience for Raimann.. Wynn misses ~4-5 games.. Brown another 4-5  leading to Raimann being ready for full time LT 2023) 

54: John Metchie III ( The no brainer pick, he will end up being a solid WR for the next 5+ years.. not a traditional #1 but I think he and Bourne could do really well together for awhile) 

66: Christian Harris ( The forgotten LB out of the group of insane day 2 depth. He's small but has 4.4 speed and is the speed at LB fans have been begging for. He fell about 15-20 picks more than most expect but I think it's totally possible he is there) 

85: Zyon McCollum ( Most analysts believe this is probably 20-40 picks too early, but to me 85 is locked in on McCollum. He's probably used situationally as a rookie but could be starting as soon as year 2 imo) 

127: Neil Farrell Jr ( Getting day 1 help against the run is incredibly important in this draft.. Farrell can be that guy) 

158: Tyler Badie ( 1900 yards from scrimmage.. enough said. 4.45 speed, receiving experience, he's a good fit) 

183: Alec Lindstrom ( I thought he was too small for LG but if Scar has been working with him since December they obviously like him a lot) 

200: Joshua Ezeudu ( My failsafe at LG, I think he could go 30-50 picks higher but it's totally possible he falls given a good amount of IOL depth in this draft. He's a starting run blocker day 1 but could certainly use some coaching in pass protection) 

210: Chase Lucas ( My double dip at CB, getting that extra 6th helps to secure Lucas without losing him in the 7th or fighting over him as a UDFA. He's an even better athlete than Jack Jones and has all the makings of a depth CB. At minimum he would be valuable on special teams as a rookie) 

245: Nate Landman ( Special Teams pick.. but given how badly this team was at special teams.. and the loses they had in Bolden/King.. I think it's totally reasonable to try and go after a dedicated special teams guy in the 7th)