Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Post Texans Trade Mock, and my final mock of the year assuming no other trades before Thursday. PFF mock has some people rated all over the place but I'd be incredibly happy if this is the draft the Patriots had. 

Trade: Patriots trade 21 to Lions for 32 & 66 ( where they take a bust QB) 

32: Bernhard Raimann (What seems like a redshirt year at first.. turns into A LOT of experience for Raimann.. Wynn misses ~4-5 games.. Brown another 4-5  leading to Raimann being ready for full time LT 2023) 

54: John Metchie III ( The no brainer pick, he will end up being a solid WR for the next 5+ years.. not a traditional #1 but I think he and Bourne could do really well together for awhile) 

66: Christian Harris ( The forgotten LB out of the group of insane day 2 depth. He's small but has 4.4 speed and is the speed at LB fans have been begging for. He fell about 15-20 picks more than most expect but I think it's totally possible he is there) 

85: Zyon McCollum ( Most analysts believe this is probably 20-40 picks too early, but to me 85 is locked in on McCollum. He's probably used situationally as a rookie but could be starting as soon as year 2 imo) 

127: Neil Farrell Jr ( Getting day 1 help against the run is incredibly important in this draft.. Farrell can be that guy) 

158: Tyler Badie ( 1900 yards from scrimmage.. enough said. 4.45 speed, receiving experience, he's a good fit) 

183: Alec Lindstrom ( I thought he was too small for LG but if Scar has been working with him since December they obviously like him a lot) 

200: Joshua Ezeudu ( My failsafe at LG, I think he could go 30-50 picks higher but it's totally possible he falls given a good amount of IOL depth in this draft. He's a starting run blocker day 1 but could certainly use some coaching in pass protection) 

210: Chase Lucas ( My double dip at CB, getting that extra 6th helps to secure Lucas without losing him in the 7th or fighting over him as a UDFA. He's an even better athlete than Jack Jones and has all the makings of a depth CB. At minimum he would be valuable on special teams as a rookie) 

245: Nate Landman ( Special Teams pick.. but given how badly this team was at special teams.. and the loses they had in Bolden/King.. I think it's totally reasonable to try and go after a dedicated special teams guy in the 7th) 

I could see this but would be surprises if Harris and McCollum aren't gone by the end of the first or early second round.

5 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Post Texans Trade Mock, and my final mock of the year assuming no other trades before Thursday. PFF mock has some people rated all over the place but I'd be incredibly happy if this is the draft the Patriots had. 

Trade: Patriots trade 21 to Lions for 32 & 66 ( where they take a bust QB) 

32: Bernhard Raimann (What seems like a redshirt year at first.. turns into A LOT of experience for Raimann.. Wynn misses ~4-5 games.. Brown another 4-5  leading to Raimann being ready for full time LT 2023) 

54: John Metchie III ( The no brainer pick, he will end up being a solid WR for the next 5+ years.. not a traditional #1 but I think he and Bourne could do really well together for awhile) 

66: Christian Harris ( The forgotten LB out of the group of insane day 2 depth. He's small but has 4.4 speed and is the speed at LB fans have been begging for. He fell about 15-20 picks more than most expect but I think it's totally possible he is there) 

85: Zyon McCollum ( Most analysts believe this is probably 20-40 picks too early, but to me 85 is locked in on McCollum. He's probably used situationally as a rookie but could be starting as soon as year 2 imo) 

127: Neil Farrell Jr ( Getting day 1 help against the run is incredibly important in this draft.. Farrell can be that guy) 

158: Tyler Badie ( 1900 yards from scrimmage.. enough said. 4.45 speed, receiving experience, he's a good fit) 

183: Alec Lindstrom ( I thought he was too small for LG but if Scar has been working with him since December they obviously like him a lot) 

200: Joshua Ezeudu ( My failsafe at LG, I think he could go 30-50 picks higher but it's totally possible he falls given a good amount of IOL depth in this draft. He's a starting run blocker day 1 but could certainly use some coaching in pass protection) 

210: Chase Lucas ( My double dip at CB, getting that extra 6th helps to secure Lucas without losing him in the 7th or fighting over him as a UDFA. He's an even better athlete than Jack Jones and has all the makings of a depth CB. At minimum he would be valuable on special teams as a rookie) 

245: Nate Landman ( Special Teams pick.. but given how badly this team was at special teams.. and the loses they had in Bolden/King.. I think it's totally reasonable to try and go after a dedicated special teams guy in the 7th) 

I mean, I'd be really happy with that

7 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I could see this but would be surprises if Harris and McCollum aren't gone by the end of the first or early second round.

I'll give you credit on that, year after year early on in the process you're telling us guys are going to go 50+ picks sooner than projected in the offseason and more often than not you're correct. 

• Like 1

My final mock. Maybe !!! 😁

Trade: Patriots trade 21 to Seahawks for 41, 72.

41: Travis Jones   He helps all level of the defense. Put him with Barmore and we have young dominate  defensive line.

54: David Ojabo  He falls due to his injury however we know that won't stop BB from picking a player with his talent. Yes you could say he won't fall this far however most teams IMO look short term. They need that player to win now.

72: Troy Andersen    BB steps out of the box again and draft a player with loads of potential and he fills a position of need

85: Zyon McCollum  BB definition of the perfect CB. Do you have any doubt if he's there.

127:  James Cook     The perfect RB for the Pats going forward with Stevenson

158: Alec Lindstrom   You can never go wrong taking a BC lineman. Added bonus he plays a position of need and works with Scar.

183:   Logan Bruss   OT Wisconsin   Another OT from OL factory.

200: Mike Rose   LB  special teams player might work in to rotation if they can work on his skills. He has some cover skills.

210:  Bo Melton  He starts off taking Gunners spot. He does have speed on the outside and could work into the rotation. 

245: EJ Perry IV    QB for the future or maybe the next Jules!!!! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, m haynes said:

My final mock. Maybe !!! 😁

Trade: Patriots trade 21 to Seahawks for 41, 72.

41: Travis Jones   He helps all level of the defense. Put him with Barmore and we have young dominate  defensive line.

That would be an amazing pick, I think he goes 32-38 though

54: David Ojabo  He falls due to his injury however we know that won't stop BB from picking a player with his talent. Yes you could say he won't fall this far however most teams IMO look short term. They need that player to win now.

if he falls, I could certainly see BB going here

72: Troy Andersen    BB steps out of the box again and draft a player with loads of potential and he fills a position of need

He's so hard to project, he is raw so he could go in the 30's or 70s depending on who you ask.. I think he goes 40-60 but at 72 that's a huge steal

85: Zyon McCollum  BB definition of the perfect CB. Do you have any doubt if he's there.

Perfect pick, love it 

127:  James Cook     The perfect RB for the Pats going forward with Stevenson

I don't think he lasts this long, i think he goes 80-100.. but would be a steal at 127

158: Alec Lindstrom   You can never go wrong taking a BC lineman. Added bonus he plays a position of need and works with Scar.

Didn't want him till i heard Scar likes him.. now he's a perfect patriot lol

183:   Logan Bruss   OT Wisconsin   Another OT from OL factory.

200: Mike Rose   LB  special teams player might work in to rotation if they can work on his skills. He has some cover skills.

210:  Bo Melton  He starts off taking Gunners spot. He does have speed on the outside and could work into the rotation. 

I think his combine gets him drafted 130-160.. but another steal if he went this low

245: EJ Perry IV    QB for the future or maybe the next Jules!!!! 

Perfect scout QB

That would be a really nice draft.. a lot of luck would have to happen to make it work but it would be good. 

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I'll give you credit on that, year after year early on in the process you're telling us guys are going to go 50+ picks sooner than projected in the offseason and more often than not you're correct. 

Thank you. I'm wrong about some things every year of course, but I do think I get lucky sometimes.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 11:35 PM, DoleINGout said:

32 1st Round Picks: Troy Andersen, Zyon McCollum, Marcus Jones, Josh Paschal, George Pickens, Trey McBride, Cameron Thomas, Christian Harris, Kenny Pickett, Zion Johnson, Kyler Gordon, George Karlaftis, Darian Kinnard, Tyler Smith, Garrett Wilson, Jalen Pitre, Desmond Ridder, Matt Corral, Treylon Burks, Boye Mafe, Trent McDuffie, Kenyon Green, Travon Walker, Jameson Williams, Ikem Ekwonu, Evan Neal, Charles Cross, Kyle Hamilton, Derek Stingley, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Ahmad Gardner, Aiden Hutchinson.

Surprise Outside Looking In: Daniel Faalele, David Ojabo, Devonte Wyatt, Tyler Linderbaum, Chris Olave, Malik Willis, Trevor Penning, Andrew Booth, Nakobe Dean, Devin Lloyd, Daxton Hill, Travis Jones, Bernhard Rainnman, Drake London, Sam Howell, Roger McCreary, Jermaine Johnson III, Martin Emerson Jr., Kaiir Elam, Jahan Dotson, Jaquan Brisker, Kingsley Enagbare.

Christian Watson fits into either of these lists too. Probably should be a first round pick.

It looks like Jermaine Johnson III, Drake London, Andrew Booth, Malik Willis, and Trevor Penning are liked by most pre-draft predictions to go in the first round. If that ends up being true then they'd replace Darian Kinnard, Josh Paschal, Troy Andersen, Marcus Jones, and Cameron Thomas from my first list.

I think it is a very safe draft.

Well I knew it wouldn't last but I been sick "flu like" in bed for two days and had all the time in the world to doubt my Xmas list!!

I went over some of the the guys I like and some that I haven't given as much time as I should have. 

The new guy on my list is Quay Walker.  IMO he's the perfect weapon against Josh Allen. He has the size and speed to cause real problems for the Bills QB.

The only issue is picking a LB at 21. IMO they need to trade down. There are to many LBs in the draft to (Pats) pick one that high.

Also will BB considered LB a position of need to go that high for a LB. IMO BB thinks WR and LB are not high priorities in this draft.  That's BB position not mine.  LBs a major need, I only see two on the roster. Wilson and McGrone. All the other are just Jags. I consider Judon  more of a end.

Last, I not sure if BB will use LBs this year compared to the past. Might go more with safeties like Peppers. That removes LBs from BB priority list.

PS This change just tells you, I have no clue when it comes to this draft. The Pats have so many holes they could go in any direction.

Also the talent at 21 will dictate which way they go, BPA.  This is a strange draft to say the least.  The Qbs will really cause havoc in this draft.  You have no idea where or when the will go in this draft. There could be 4 picked before 21 or just one in the 1st RD!!!!! Crazy.

21: Daxton Hill, CB

54: Leo Chenal, LB

85: Cole Strange, G

127: Erik Ezukanma, WR

158: Isaiah Thomas, Edge

Received 170 from Houston for 183 and 245

170: Tycen Anderson, S

200: Ty Chander, HB

210: Josh Johnson, WR

Half prediction, half what I want

Run it thought PFF mock sim, my best pick above was Tycen Anderson (after trade up) A+, worst pick was Erik Ezukanma D+. Overall = B+

• Like 1

I would disagree there, BB thinks VERY highly of LB's.. think about the last two major LB's they've had in NE? 

- Hightower, he traded up in the 1st round to get him

- Mayo, he was a top 10 pick 

If BB loves a LB, he's going to go get him. There have been a lot of rumblings that Walker could go ahead of Dean and he could sneak into the first round as well. I think it's possible but with the great day 2 depth at LB, I personally find it hard to believe you'd take him at 21. 

I agree a trade back is possible.. he could want to trade back to 32 and get that 5th year option.. or even trade back into the mid 30's and "guarantee" himself one of Quay Walker and Troy Anderson. Both of them seem like perfect Patriots.. but at least from a Georgia perspective, I'm sure BB wants at least one guy from that incredible defense. Lot's of buzz around Walker sneaking into the 1st or being picked in the 30's. 

In my head I would be trying to think of how I can make the largest impact on the defense asap.. and who I would need to target first. If he wants to revamp this defense he could do: 

- Trade back at 21, somewhere between 24-29 to pick up maybe a 3rd and take Dax Hill ( He starts at CB year 1, Year 2 is FS) 

- Either stay at 54 or use a 3rd to trade up and get Walker

- Day 3 grab the best NT available.. let's just say Farrell as an example

You've then revamped all 3 levels of your defense with impact players who can contribute day 1.

Another interesting discussion point is people believing Wyatt could be this years Barmore. If he slides that far.. BB could want both Georgia players. 

- Trade back from 21 to 34-36, grab Wyatt 

- Trade up from 54 to late 30's, take Walker 

- You'd still need a NT day 3 and CB help but those two guys would be a pretty huge infusion of talent for this defense. 

• Like 1

From a pure athletic standpoint.. it's hard to not think McCollum./ Anderson / Melton are going to be Patriots this weekend. 

- McCollum has all the skill in the world and already has some man experience ( albeit at lesser competition) 
- Anderson played everywhere, is smart, fast.. and can adapt to the system quickly

- Melton can help on special teams and schemed touches till one of the WR's is gone and gets himself some snaps 

Going to be really interesting to see where everyone on that list goes

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I would disagree there, BB thinks VERY highly of LB's.. think about the last two major LB's they've had in NE? 

- Hightower, he traded up in the 1st round to get him

- Mayo, he was a top 10 pick 

He sure doesn't draft that way.

I used to think that way as well however IMO he's changed for some reason. Maybe he's adapting to today's game or the talent is just not there. It baffle me.

BB use to take DL guys that were big and tough (high in the draft) however that's changed as well.

BB hasn't taken a LB in the the draft in the 1st and 2nd RD since Jamie Collins in 2013!!!! Also I'm pretty sure the last DL was Easley since Jones in 2012 !!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, he went back to the well with Barmore and we all saw the results.

Watched a Pod cast with Ted Johnson and he doesn't understand why BB changed and has not prioritize the front seven. Johnson mentioned he had Seymour (1st),Washington (Best NT NFL) and Warren (1st) in front of him and than Vince !!!! Yikes!

That's what I want to see again, the front seven IMO is the key to susses.  BB use to bring the BIG UGLY'S to the dance. He should again.

PS I'm sick and tired of see DLs picked up as FA that are 100 years old or 2nd tier players that the other team could care less if they leave.

Edited by m haynes

It looks to me like these will actually be the first round picks...

Trevor Penning, Andrew Booth Jr., Devin Lloyd, Christian Harris, Kenny Pickett, Zion Johnson, Chris Olave, Kyler Gordon, George Karlaftis, Christian Watson, Jermaine Johnson III, Tyler Smith, Garrett Wilson, Jalen Pitre, Desmond Ridder, Matt Corral, Treylon Burks, Boye Mafe, Travon Walker, Trent McDuffie, Drake Jackson, Jordan Davis, Kenyon Green, Jameson Williams, Ikem Ekwonu, Evan Neal, Charles Cross, Kyle Hamilton, Derek Stingley, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Ahmad Gardner, Aiden Hutchinson.

I think there are a number of busts in that list but nothing putrid per say.

Edited by DoleINGout
I thought Jordan Davis was in the list when I counted 32 originally