Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

He sure doesn't draft that way.

He hasn't really needed a top end LB before this year.. so I think we will see what he does now. I don't think he wants Lloyd or Dean.. I think he would use them as trade bait. BUT, I think Walker and AndersEn (yay, i remembered!) he will love. 

I used to think that way as well however IMO he's changed for some reason. Maybe he's adapting to today's game or the talent is just not there. It baffle me.

BB use to take DL guys that were big and tough (high in the draft) however that's changed as well.

BB hasn't taken a LB in the the draft in the 1st and 2nd RD since Jamie Collins in 2013!!!! Also I'm pretty sure the last DL was Easley since Jones in 2012 !!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, he went back to the well with Barmore and we all saw the results.

I'll continue my argument that I don't believe he has had to. He's had Hightower and Mayo before him, when you have that #1 guy, you can put pieces around him.. you don't need everyone to be a 1st rounder. 

The DL surprises me as well, Seymour/Wilfork/Warren.. all 1st rounders. 

Watched a Pod cast with Ted Johnson and he doesn't understand why BB changed and has not prioritize the front seven. Johnson mentioned he had Seymour (1st),Washington (Best NT NFL) and Warren (1st) in front of him and than Vince !!!! Yikes!

That's what I want to see again, the front seven IMO is the key to susses.  BB use to bring the BIG UGLY'S to the dance. He should again.

PS I'm sick and tired of see DLs picked up as FA that are 100 years old or 2nd tier players that the other team could care less if they leave.

Walker at 21 seems really early given the depth of the draft .. but at the end of the day I think he's going to be great so I wouldn't complain. 

Edited by Crimmage

18 hours ago, Crimmage said:

He hasn't really needed a top end LB before this year.

I don't see it that way at all. Our LB group was average at best and they were all old. Without looking it up Bentley was the only one under 30 that played.  I think he's late again filling a position of need. Hightower was useless last 2 years and here we are hoping he hits on a LB to fill the position. If he misses they are in big trouble. We have seen how this goes when he misses on a player. He trades picks, stop caps, that usually fail. EX Sanu.

Matter of fact he is very poor in this area. Planning out his roster. We have seen the Pats short handed at WR, OL and TE. Also lets say the Pats don't take a safety high in the draft, basically he did it again. He should have one on the roster last year.  I know you can say the draft didn't fall that way but IMO that excuses.  Big example was TE. We all knew Gronk was gone and he didn't draft anyone to take his place!!! Really. The writing was on the wall two years before he was out the door. Gronks leaves and than you draft his replacement!!!! Also wasting picks to do it. And the killer. He reaches for some stiff that had no business being drafted that high in the draft. 

PS Hightower sat out Covid however I don't care he should of been gone than.

19 hours ago, Crimmage said:

He's had Hightower and Mayo before him, when you have that #1 guy, you can put pieces around him.. you don't need everyone to be a 1st rounder. 

I disagree hear as well. Your defense is built around your LBs and you only have one (debatable) elite player? Also your star is getting old and still middle round picks.   I would always stack my DLs and LBs. I watched Parcell with Harry Carson and Lawrence Taylor and still draft Carl Banks. Everyone one freaked out at the time. "What are you doing. " Well how that work out.

Watch BB with Seymour pick Warren, than pick Wifork.

The Pats still run basically the same defense that BB has used since his Giants days. For what ever reason he has not picked an elite front seven player in years other than Barmore.  If the Pats don't take one this year IMO its a huge mistake. 

IMO the Pats don't have a defense. They have only 2 players you would consider above average. Basically the whole unit needs to be rebuilt. They do have some good players Mills, Dugger and Philips but they are not going do much to improve this unit. They lack elite players. You get two or three in this draft and the unit will greatly improve.

That's why I want in this draft front seven players, anything else is just another year wasted.  There are DBs in this draft that would look good in a Pats uniform however I would pass on them and secure the front seven early in the draft.

I understand If they have to pick an offensive player at 21 becasue the value on defense is not there however I would do my best to trade the pick. 

I'm hearing it will be a lot harder to trade down this year, so the Pats might have to use 21.

4 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I think he's late again filling a position of need. 

I'll agree here, that 4-5 year span of bad drafts has really caught up with them. That's why it's so important to get these next 2-3 right. Before it felt like they were going very boom/bust on prospects because they had Brady.. now they need to be looking at high floor guys who still have some potential. You can't keep filling out the roster through free agency. 

Matter of fact he is very poor in this area. Planning out his roster. We have seen the Pats short handed at WR, OL and TE. Also lets say the Pats don't take a safety high in the draft, basically he did it again. He should have one on the roster last year.  I know you can say the draft didn't fall that way but IMO that excuses.  Big example was TE. We all knew Gronk was gone and he didn't draft anyone to take his place!!! Really. The writing was on the wall two years before he was out the door. Gronks leaves and than you draft his replacement!!!! Also wasting picks to do it. And the killer. He reaches for some stiff that had no business being drafted that high in the draft. 

This is a recent issue though, those last 4-5 years. I'm really hopeful that Groh's focus and experience on the draft will help. 

IMO the Pats don't have a defense. They have only 2 players you would consider above average. Basically the whole unit needs to be rebuilt. They do have some good players Mills, Dugger and Philips but they are not going do much to improve this unit. They lack elite players. You get two or three in this draft and the unit will greatly improve.

Mills is a super interesting player to me .. I really wonder what their long term plan is with him. No chance they signed him to be a #2 CB even if he did pretty well last year. I really wonder if they see him as McCourty's replacement and this draft is going to show if that's the case. 

The Patriots have great safeties.. they've got some "potential" at LB and Barmore on the DL. This draft can be the difference between a meh defense and a great one.. you hit on 2 players on the defense who can help out right away and I think you can have a good defense. 

That's why I want in this draft front seven players, anything else is just another year wasted.  There are DBs in this draft that would look good in a Pats uniform however I would pass on them and secure the front seven early in the draft.

I understand If they have to pick an offensive player at 21 becasue the value on defense is not there however I would do my best to trade the pick. 

I'm hearing it will be a lot harder to trade down this year, so the Pats might have to use 21.

I'm feeling a little better now about DB.. I don't think they take Booth because they never take Clemson players. 

Dax Hill I think they could take even at 21, but I would be ok with that because he can play all over the back end of the defense. 

I really like Walker.. but I don't think they take him at 21.. you have SOOO much depth in the 2nd round at LB, why take a guy at 21? The Patriots also never have loose lips, you aren't going to know days in advance they want Walker if they actually want Walker. If they are leaking out that they want Walker that just makes me feel like they are hoping Anderson/Muma/Harris drop to them. 

It ALSO makes me think that maybe they want out of this first round all together.. get someone to trade up. I wouldn't be surprised if they would prefer to leave tonight with nobody and have 2 2nds and 3 3rds tomorrow. Not sure exactly how they do it but it's possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Dax Hill I think they could take even at 21, but I would be ok with that because he can play all over the back end of the defense. 

I go back and forth with Hill. I read or heard something that (little) concerns me.  They said if you look at his tapes he always seems to be in the box.  That was one of the reason that turned me off taking him. However after the combine and numbers I changed back to my 1st impression.

Just looked again  its true he is usually in the box however he look great and he can move.  I know what I want in this draft, but I'm not sure its going to happen.

For me a trade is needed, down in the 1st up in the 2nd.

Pats walk out of the draft with Walker and Jones.  We have to come out of this draft with the best front 7 possible.  I just don't think its possible.

ADDED  I know its possible but will BB make the moves or is he looking elsewhere in this draft. CB or OL.

Edited by m haynes

It has to be defense tonight. Absolutely has to be

The only offensive players I would be okay with…. at a trade down obviously 

Zion Johnson, Kenyon Green, George Pickens.

Would I be happy with one of these? Not necessarily, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world 

Just give us a real defense Bill🙌

Edited by DaPatsKid98

Dark horses for the Patriots to pick in the first round?

If we trade down between the 27-30 range, I could see a few unpopular players the Patriots are in love with and take a swing at

Lewis Cine, DB, Georgia

Travis Jones, DL, UConn (I don’t think he’s a first round talent)

Boye Mafe, EDGE, Minnesota

Cine could end up being a first rounder, I like Dax Hill better for the Patriots but I think multiple teams at the end of the 1st could really like Cine. 

Travis Jones is tough, because I think the Jets will jump on him at 35.. so you've either got to get him late 1st or early 2nd. 

Mafe I'm good on.. you have all these edge guys drafted.. make them play. I'd rather throw short money at KVN to come back and split time with the young guys. 

For me.. trade back is what they want to do.. they are throwing smokescreens about Walker to try and get someone like Davis to drop and if he doesn't they will do whatever they can to trade back. 

I also believe that they are going to be totally fine with leaving the 1st all together. If they can get 3 top 100 picks for 21 I would be super happy .. that would give you 5 top 100 picks total. 

Some Trades I would strongly consider tonight: 

• 21 for 53 / 59 / 92 (Packers)
  • 21 for 50/ 62 / 94 (Chiefs)
  • 21 for 40/ 72 / 109 (Seahawks)
  • 21 for 43 / 74 / 82 (Falcons) 
  • 21 for 45 / 76 / 100 (Ravens)

I know that everyone wants them to trade back and stay in the 1st.. but I feel like the best value is going to be to leave entirely. The depth in this class works out best for what the Patriots needs are: 

2nd rounder - LB like Troy Anderson / Christian Harris / Jalen Pitre / etc. 

2nd rounder - Perrion Winfrey / Metchie / Josh Paschal / etc

3rd rounder - Zach Tom / Cole Strange / Marcus Jones / etc

3rd rounder - James Cook / Sean Ryhan / Jalyn Armour-Davis / etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I am co-opting this into the general draft day thread

I'll be on tonight and can post the pick thread however the rest of my weekend is booked solid. Please remember to drive thread creation for each of our picks!

glad I did this lol

Best Picks:

Jameson Williams, DET

Jordan Davis, PHI

Kyle Hamilton, BAL

Kenyon Green, HOU

Worst Picks:

(ARI trading away 23rd overall for 100 overall and wide receiver Marquise Brown)

(PHI tradimg away 18th overall and 101 overall for AJ Brown)

Jahan Dotson, WAS

Average Picks:

Chris Olave, NO

Zion Johnson, LAC

Treylon Burks, TEN

Edited by DoleINGout