Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

On 5/7/2022 at 7:06 PM, Crimmage said:

Jack Jones is so important to this draft.. they need him to be a starter by years end or we will be in the same place we were to start the offseason next year. I think he has the instincts and toughness you want from a starting CB.. I am most concerned about his lack of athleticism. For a draft that emphasized drafting the most athletic guys in the draft, you'd think they would have wanted a guy who had more upside. Maybe they were happy with his elite 10 yard split thinking safeties will help him out on any big plays? But he's a pretty average athlete overall, you've got to hope that his intangibles are what will make him a starter in the NFL. This draft has grown on me a lot, but he's the only pick that I keep going back to wishing they went in a different direction, I hope I end up being wrong though.

Marcus Jones / Jonathan Jones should be able to handle the slot .. but with so many talented outside receivers in the AFC those guys are going to need help. For anyone saying to trade/cut Jones.. I think they will need both this season, with so many elite slot guys out there you are going to need both guys. To the point where I think next year they could draft another slot guy for when Jones is gone. 

I'm hopeful that Shaun Wade can show something in camp .. if he wins a starting spot on the outside I would feel 100x better about the secondary. He was great in the slot at Ohio state but struggles on the outside, after basically a redshirt year maybe he shows something. 

Well with Jack, we certainly courted him. Apparently the number of visits and conversations pre-draft were pretty high, relative to most other prospects over the last couple seasons

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 5/7/2022 at 3:54 PM, DoleINGout said:

The Jets and Dolphins will be tougher. The Bills still tough, but maybe trending back down after Daboll left. Pats should be better but the rest of the division and conference is too.

Would you say you're generally lower on Buffalo than most? For example, you had them 3rd last season. There was a point during the season (after we beat them) where it looked like they were on the outside looking in. Now, they're considered this monster and possibly league's best team. Obviously they embarrassed us. But are you harder for them to please, in your opinion? If so, why? Coz I hope you're right obviously :D 

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Would you say you're generally lower on Buffalo than most? For example, you had them 3rd last season. There was a point during the season (after we beat them) where it looked like they were on the outside looking in. Now, they're considered this monster and possibly league's best team. Obviously they embarrassed us. But are you harder for them to please, in your opinion? If so, why? Coz I hope you're right obviously :D 

I didn't think the Dolphins would get off to as slow of a start as they did and the Patriots penalties and situational football were much more inconsistent than what I expected/hoped. The Bills I anticipated unraveling because of COVID vaccination rules turning the locker room against itself as the season wore on. I felt that would be the case if the Bills started off slowly in wins. We know what actually happened though.

This season I would go in expecting the Bills to be the favorite to win the division but struggle or fade at some point due to the vastly different and improved conference, including the entire AFC East.

I think Miami, like last season, has a high enough ceiling to be a playoff team but will they actually realize their potential? I'd say it is tougher to do that in the first year of a new HC. It will take the Pats sliding back and the Jets stepping up immensely, which they should. Ultimately the Jets are very young so history would suggest they're not likely to be a threat but that doesn't mean they can't become a menace to deal with. The entire division is competitive now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I didn't think the Dolphins would get off to as slow of a start as they did and the Patriots penalties and situational football were much more inconsistent than what I expected/hoped. The Bills I anticipated unraveling because of COVID vaccination rules turning the locker room against itself as the season wore on. I felt that would be the case if the Bills started off slowly in wins. We know what actually happened though.

This season I would go in expecting the Bills to be the favorite to win the division but struggle or fade at some point due to the vastly different and improved conference, including the entire AFC East.

I think Miami, like last season, has a high enough ceiling to be a playoff team but will they actually realize their potential? I'd say it is tougher to do that in the first year of a new HC. It will take the Pats sliding back and the Jets stepping up immensely, which they should. Ultimately the Jets are very young so history would suggest they're not likely to be a threat but that doesn't mean they can't become a menace to deal with. The entire division is competitive now.

Prediction for us?

48 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Prediction for us?

Not sure yet, but feels like second place in the East is still attainable this season for NE. It is a very competitive division, anyone can make the playoffs. Only the AFC West and North are tougher in the entire league for 2022 I think.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Prediction for us?

Quick look at schedule Pats with 7, Dolphins with 7 wins. 2nd place comes down to head to head. My prediction is judge mostly by the name of the teams and what I think of them, not taking much time at all to see what changes they made to the roaster.

EX Bears.  I still have question with Fields especially against BB defense. Mac and the run game crushes them. Really put in effort, huh !!!!!🤣

Edited by m haynes

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Quick look at schedule Pats with 7, Dolphins with 7 wins. 2nd place comes down to head to head. My prediction is judge mostly by the name of the teams and what I think of them, not taking much time at all to see what changes they made to the roaster.

EX Bears.  I still have question with Fields especially against BB defense. Mac and the run game crushes them. Really put in effort, huh !!!!!🤣

The only differential is this....

We go to Green Bay, Minnesota, Cleveland and Pittsburgh - Reverse it for Miami, they have those teams visiting them

We have Baltimore, Cinci, Detroit and Chicago coming here - Reverse it for Miami, they are going to those places

Then the remainder is; we play Cardinals (a), Raiders(a), Colts. Miami play Chargers (a), 49ers (a), Texans 

So it's pretty even. Us going to Packers is tough, them going to Baltimore and Cinci is tough. I think they have a slightly harder schedule

One thing that we were a 'top grade' in, was board manoeuvring. We played the draft position and collection of capital expertly. We had a greater value given to us than what we gave to KC, for example, with an expected trade down in a perceived 'weak class', and generally got into great spots in the draft.

If you ignore who we picked, it was incredibly astute 

22 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

One thing that we were a 'top grade' in, was board manoeuvring. We played the draft position and collection of capital expertly. We had a greater value given to us than what we gave to KC, for example, with an expected trade down in a perceived 'weak class', and generally got into great spots in the draft.

If you ignore who we picked, it was incredibly astute 

I feel like that is the one thing about the draft that the Patriots do well routinely. Albeit maneuvering up sometimes is a better value play than the acquisition of picks in the long run.

• Like 1