Does Daniel Jones Deserve to be the Starter in 2022

YogiBiz

In 2019, Daniel Jones was only a few Touchdown passes away from having his name on the rookie record. While doing so in only thirteen games, Jones gave Giants fan a hopeful future to look forward too. Two seasons and offensive schemes later,Giants fan are wrongfully calling for his head. 

Throughout the 2021 NFL season, there were instances where Daniel Jones did what Franchise QBs do, and did everything humanly possible to lead his team to victory. However due to dumb penalties that killed potential game winning drives or untimely drops from his receivers or just a plain missed block by his practice squad O-line would kill any momentum Jones would put forward. 

This kid has the talent, between the ears and in his arm to carry a team to victory. However, his internal clock might be near the end of its rope. Jones was pressured on a ridiculous 44.9% of his drop backs this season. But somehow, still posted a respectable 71.6 PFF grade. For the third time in as many years, Jones ranks in the top 3 of DPR (Total Defensive Pressures Against) with a % of over 40%. He has continuously been one of the better QB’s under pressure since his rookie season, but how much better could he be if he wasn’t under pressure for nearly half of his drop backs every season. 

Turnovers have also plagued Jones (especially Fumbles) since entering the NFL. However, if he wasn’t getting hit so often in the backfield he could hold onto the ball much better. What would we see him do if a play could actually develop. We need a new TE. And not a game changer their. Just one who can catch a touchdown pass every now and then instead of dropping nearly every single one thrown at him. 

If our new GM and Coach fall in love with one of the guys in the draft, you take them. Otherwise, let Jones play it out another season after spending some capital on the Line and then a proper decision can be made  

2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

If our new GM and Coach fall in love with one of the guys in the draft, you take them. Otherwise, let Jones play it out another season after spending some capital on the Line and then a proper decision can be made  

I think that is the thinking of most Giants fans.

Does he deserve to be the starter? No, but he be given the opportunity to compete for the job. The injury, new offense, new OL and his contract are all huge factors working against him. It takes time to sync with each of the playing factors, and to stack them against him creates a higher problem. He said he isn’t supposed to be cleared for contact until August.

Jones will hopefully be on the last year of his contract (assuming we don’t pick up his option). It be hard to give him a new contract, with so many factors.

• Like 1

My perspective would be,

No, but what other option are you going to go for? I can't see any of the veteran QBs potentially on the trade market wanting to come here. The QBs in the draft suck this year. Your best move is to try and get a QB next year. Let Daniel Jones just exist as your QB for one more year while trading one of your firsts for a 1st next year and get either Stroug or Bryce Young

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Nice write up man.

I posted something similar earlier but you really broke it down.

Glad I'm not the only one not ready to toss him to the curb.

I’m not ready to completely give up on him, but if Pickett balls out at the Senior Bowl and his Pro Day I wouldn’t be surprised if we swung on him. Although I’d rather have a chance at Young or Jurkovec next season. Young is good and I really like his ball placement. Jurk is the prospect everyone tried to make Daniel Jones out to be. Really good athlete with the big arm. The only difference is his ability to read a defense. He does it very well and I think his size athleticism and arm make him my 1A to Stroud’s 1B. Young’s smaller than desired stature puts him at a close 2 (3?) though? 

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

I think that is the thinking of most Giants fans.

Does he deserve to be the starter? No, but he be given the opportunity to compete for the job. The injury, new offense, new OL and his contract are all huge factors working against him. It takes time to sync with each of the playing factors, and to stack them against him creates a higher problem. He said he isn’t supposed to be cleared for contact until August.

Jones will hopefully be on the last year of his contract (assuming we don’t pick up his option). It be hard to give him a new contract, with so many factors.

I personally think Jones will be much improved in year four but still turnover prone. 
I could actually see him having some success in New Orleans. 

28 minutes ago, Danger said:

My perspective would be,

No, but what other option are you going to go for? I can't see any of the veteran QBs potentially on the trade market wanting to come here. The QBs in the draft suck this year. Your best move is to try and get a QB next year. Let Daniel Jones just exist as your QB for one more year while trading one of your firsts for a 1st next year and get either Stroug or Bryce Young

I really like Jurkovec over those two. His arm talent is special. He reminds me a ton of Herbert. But more accurate and better at leading receivers. His injury really took some wind out his sails toward the end of 2021 so much so I thought we might luck into at the top of round 2 this year. But when he said he was going back, I figured he’d be a top 10 lock next season. 

Otherwise, I agree with your statement. 

4 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

I’m not ready to completely give up on him, but if Pickett balls out at the Senior Bowl and his Pro Day I wouldn’t be surprised if we swung on him. Although I’d rather have a chance at Young or Jurkovec next season. Young is good and I really like his ball placement. Jurk is the prospect everyone tried to make Daniel Jones out to be. Really good athlete with the big arm. The only difference is his ability to read a defense. He does it very well and I think his size athleticism and arm make him my 1A to Stroud’s 1B. Young’s smaller than desired stature puts him at a close 2 (3?) though? 

At this point, I haven't scouted a single player.  I tend to start my scouting when I'm doing my GM mock, tcmd.  So I can't speak of if any of these QB's talents or if they are even worth our top picks.  Several teams ahead of us, that could use a QB.  Our trenches are in such poor shape that it would be difficult for me to even draft a qb if the value is there...haha.  Anything less than the team fixing the trenches will be a massive failure, IMO and that GM isn't any better than the one we let go.   

I really don't have any issues with Daniel Jones being allowed to finish out his contract, and if it doesn't work out then we move on.  But I truly believe that if Daniel Jones is given time in the pocket and a healthy running and receiving game, we'll see the rookie that impressed a lot of us and the topic next season will be, "we need to resign him". 

What I don't want to see happen, is us trading up to land another quarterback, that would be an utter failure of the GM's first year.  Might as well bring Dave back if this happens.

32 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

I really like Jurkovec over those two. His arm talent is special. He reminds me a ton of Herbert. But more accurate and better at leading receivers. His injury really took some wind out his sails toward the end of 2021 so much so I thought we might luck into at the top of round 2 this year. But when he said he was going back, I figured he’d be a top 10 lock next season. 

Otherwise, I agree with your statement.

That's an odd take, but not one I've never seen before. @Jeezla is also pretty high on him, though I don't know he's that high on Jurk.

In a word, No. This team is cleaning house. Simple as that. New HC / New GM coming in. Nobody's job is deserved / owed to them at all. Prove your worth to the new guys coming in. As far as options go, he is the only option (at this moment in time) that we have that could be a starter. I still see this next GM coming in drafting a QB with 1 of the 2 1st rounders and i wouldn't be surprised if its Pickett or Corral. Jones, personally, im over with. Too many mistakes at too many times. The turnovers is one thing but the amount of times in the red zone and cant find a target to get a TD and instead comes away with a field goal. He is one of those qbs who needs the perfect situation for everything to go right for him. He's not one of those qbs who has shown me as a fan enough to warrant him being a long term answer. He just doesn't show he can make bad players look good. The truly elite qbs of the league can make other players on his squad look better than they are. For him however, he needs them to make him look good. Just not seeing how he deserves to be the starter unless he has legitimate competition next year.  

Edited by Giants4eva

I absolutely give the starting job to Jones next year and that's really independent of them drafting a QB or not. Even if you're of the opinion they should take Pickett, Corral or any of the other guys there's a strong case to not start him Year 1. So keep Jones in his contract year and start him. 

Personally, I'm not for taking one of those guys this year due to how bad the rest of the roster is. You can sign a vet QB and technically have them compete in training camp but it should be Jones's to lose. If Jones were on a different team and coming available in FA this season, he's the veteran QB I'd be going after and he's already on the team. You could maybe make the argument for Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Mariota, Bridgewater, etc. but Jones is right in that category with them. 

The Giants really have nothing to lose in starting Jones in 2022. If he plays poorly they let him walk. No harm, no foul on the new GM/coach and they go get their guy. If Jones plays really well and convinces the new GM/coach he's the guy, extend him and don't look back. Most realistically, he'll probably have a good-ish year and they'll decide to not make the long-term investment and let him walk. 

Jones's career is basically Ryan Tannehill at this point. Drafted a bit higher than people thought. Shows some physical tools and flashes some real ability but ultimately doesn't do enough to convince the team that drafted him to make a long-term investment. He goes to another team as a backup and before you know it he's starting again and having success because while his ceiling is 10-12th best QB in the league, that can be enough for a team with a strong roster.

For 2022 though, he should and deserves to be the starting QB for the NYG.

3 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

Jones's career is basically Ryan Tannehill at this point. Drafted a bit higher than people thought. Shows some physical tools and flashes some real ability but ultimately doesn't do enough to convince the team that drafted him to make a long-term investment. He goes to another team as a backup and before you know it he's starting again and having success because while his ceiling is 10-12th best QB in the league, that can be enough for a team with a strong roster.

For 2022 though, he should and deserves to be the starting QB for the NYG

Tannehill performed much better with the Dolphins and was at least in the playoffs hunt as well. He was also given a huge extension with Miami. It’s probably closer to Blake Bortles.

He does not deserve to be the starting QB, he needs to compete for it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Tannehill performed much better with the Dolphins and was at least in the playoffs hunt as well. He was also given a huge extension with Miami. It’s probably closer to Blake Bortles.

He does not deserve to be the starting QB, he needs to compete for it 

The Dolphins were a better team, yes but they are statistically very similar QBs. 

Daniel Jones 1st 3 years: 62.8% completion percentage, 3.5 TD/attempt, 2.3 INT/attempt, 6.6 yards per attempt, 84.3 rating

Ryan Tannehill 1st 3 years: 61.9% completion percentage, 3.8 TD/attempt, 2.5 INT/attempt, 6.8 yards per attempt, 84.0 rating

And their rushing stats are similar with Tannehill just having less attempts. Tannehill did have a much better 3rd year, which is important but when looking at pro football reference's advanced passing statistics, Tannehill was a below average QB until 5th year in the league. His 4th year is the first you could really call him "average".

As for the contract extension, I believe that was largely because they were a better team. They were on the cusp of the playoffs and weren't about to start over again. If the Giants were in that same situation, we'd be talking about an extension for Jones as well.

Again the difference between them as QBs three years into their careers was very similar. Ultimately, QBs are defined by wins and losses so at the moment DJ doesn't look like he'll get there but he's the best option for 2022 and it's really not all that close. 

@GMENNATION I would need to dive into those numbers, but I can’t see how they are the same when Tannehill in his 2nd year had more touchdowns than Jones in his 2nd and 3rd combined. Jones had way more attempts as well. Tannehill is lucky though, he only had to go through 2 coaching changes in Miami. Poor Daniel will be on his third.

I’m not sure how you can say Jones is the best option and it’s not close. Any competition like Mariota would be a good thing.

I'm not handing the starting job to him or anyone else. I'm bringing in a few other QBs and letting them duke it out for the starting gig this year, and I'm also quick to make a change in season if the original guy chosen is struggling. There are no sure things at QB on this roster, and we can't afford to waste any evaluation time. Bring in someone like Mariota and draft a guy somewhere in this upcoming draft. I'm fine carrying 3 guys on the 53 into the season.

If Jones, or someone else, takes hold of the starting job and doesn't let go, great. If not, I've got 2 other guys to evaluate in this new offense and I can cut bait with any/all of them at the conclusion of the year.