EaglesPeteC

ALIVE

Cleveland Browns: +3000 (3.2%)
New Orleans Saints: +3000 (3.2%)
Seattle Seahawks: +3500 (2.8%)
Minnesota Vikings: +3500 (2.8%)
Miami Dolphins: +4000 (2.4%)
Philadelphia Eagles: +4000 (2.4%)

At first blush, this is where bettors can scoop up value in a high-payoff spot.  However, I think it’s hard to envision the Saints (lowest cap space in football, new head coach), the Seahawks (likely without Russell Wilson), the Vikings (bad roster, non-elite quarterback, new coach), Miami (suspect quarterback, new coach) or the Eagles (schedule regression) taking the next step. The team to bet in this group is the Browns, who will have an upgrade at quarterback — either through Baker Mayfield‘s maturation and/or healing or a veteran quarterback taking his place. Few teams have a better roster outside of the starting quarterback.

This was PFF's take on the SB odds.

TF is schedule regression? Did we win the division and get a 1st place schedule?

Our last place schedule last year netted us the latest bye week of all time and 5 playoff teams in the first 7 weeks including all 3 teams that played in the last 2 SBs being the Chiefs, Bucs, and Niners. Two of those teams being in the championship games and only one of them just missing losing out to the Rams who would go on to win it all this year.

Not to mention last years schedule had more road games than home, but that was the case for every NFC team last year and will be the case for every AFC team last year. That's a boost for every NFC team this year.

duqo2ggsfu5k1y40p6ct

This is literally our schedule this year.

Why does this easier schedule compared to last year indicate "schedule regression"?

We finished last year 6-3 on the road only behind the Cardinals, Cowboys (got a free road win the last week to put them over us), Rams (won the SB), and the Pats (played one less road game... 6-2). DO YOU SEE THAT ROAD SCHEDULE? That screams schedule regression coming up!

I expect both the teams in our division that finished below us to get better. Not sure Washington will get much better, but I think they have the cap space and desire to do something with Ron Rivera in year 3 of his tenure. They can't hang their hat on winning the division with 7 wins in his first year lol. Giants should definitely be somewhat better just based off the new coaching staff. I could see regression from Dallas though.

Some of the lesser teams with new head coaches could take a step I mean we saw it just this past season with our team. Not saying teams like the Bears, Lions, Texans, Jags or whoever can't beat us, but I'm not fretting over most of them either. Saints and Steelers have big questions at QB to figure out along with the Commanders. I think Rodgers stays in GB, but that will still be a question mark until its not. I could see regression from teams like the Cowboys, Titans and Cardinals. Remember that ranking about Offseason Resources? Titans were 25th. Cards were 26th. Cowboys were 31st. 

It's really not that hard to envision the Eagles, even if Jalen Hurts is the QB, making it back to the playoffs for a 2nd year in a row with that schedule and a lot more to work with this offseason. If we don't hit 9 wins again (think we could've won 10 this past year if we actually played Dallas seriously) next year I'd be pretty disappointed.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Like if you look at Opp. Win % from last year (best we have to go off for now) the NFCE has it the easiest...

2022 NFL Strength of Schedule (SOS): Weeks 1 to 18

Rank Team Opp. Record Opp. Win Pct.
1 Los Angeles Rams 164-125-0 0.567
2 Arizona Cardinals 157-132-0 0.543
3 Cincinnati Bengals 154-133-2 0.536
4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 154-134-1 0.535
5 San Francisco 49ers 154-135-0 0.533
5 Kansas City Chiefs 154-135-0 0.533
7 Las Vegas Raiders 152-136-1 0.528
7 New Orleans Saints 152-136-1 0.528
9 Atlanta Falcons 151-137-1 0.524
10 Los Angeles Chargers 150-139-0 0.519
11 Seattle Seahawks 149-139-1 0.517
12 Carolina Panthers 147-140-2 0.512
12 Pittsburgh Steelers 148-141-0 0.512
12 Buffalo Bills 147-140-2 0.512
15 Denver Broncos 147-142-0 0.509
16 New England Patriots 143-144-2 0.498
17 New York Jets 142-145-2 0.495
17 Cleveland Browns 142-145-2 0.495
19 Houston Texans 141-148-0 0.488
20 Minnesota Vikings 139-148-2 0.484
21 Miami Dolphins 138-149-2 0.481
22 Green Bay Packers 137-150-2 0.478
23 Baltimore Ravens 136-151-2 0.474
24 Chicago Bears 135-152-2 0.471
24 Tennessee Titans 136-153-0 0.471
26 Jacksonville Jaguars 135-153-1 0.469
26 Indianapolis Colts 135-153-1 0.469
28 Detroit Lions 135-154-0 0.467
29 New York Giants 134-154-1 0.465
30 Philadelphia Eagles 133-154-2 0.464
31 Dallas Cowboys 133-155-1 0.462
31 Washington Football Team 133-155-1 0.462

Schedule regression..... my ***, PFF.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

35 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong I mean Hurts improved somewhat over the course of the season, but dude has a long way to go and I'm just not sure we'll ever see some big jump from him. The ranking just doesn't make sense from a logical standpoint pre-draft/FA.

I will say that I'm not too sure that Wilson or Rodgers get traded out of the NFC or traded at all really. I feel like the talk about Wilson and especially Rodgers has cooled quite a bit and I could see them both back for at least another year. I really can't imagine Pete continuing on with the Seahawks if Wilson wanted out. He's close to the oldest coach in the league at 70 years old and will be turning 71 at the start of this season. It feels really late in the game to be looking for a new coaching staff, so unless Wilson just suddenly demands to be traded and holds out... I'm not sure I see it. Not to mention I don't see that scenario happening cause I don't think Russ is one to really rock the boat. Rodgers I could see doing something like that, but everything is pointing towards things being smoother with the Packers organization than it was a year ago.

Feel like Wilson maybe gets moved next year. Last year of his deal, way more manageable $13m dead cap for the Seahawks.

I don’t know what’s happening with Rodgers. I feel like he wanted to leave but is realizing he probably shouldn’t. For the Packers they are in a tough spot with this being his last year technically. They could get a ton of capital to help them build for the future. If I remember right they said they wouldn’t tag him so he’ll be on the open market next year I think.

3 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

It's amazing to me that our coaching staff gets almost no benefit of the doubt when Sirianni and Gannon were first time play callers and even the special teams coordinator was first time on the job and not even 30 years old yet lol. Hurts has never been in an offense for 2 years in a row dating back to high school. We have 3 first round picks and some actual maneuverability with the cap this year to make at least some nice additions in FA.

I typically think these are stupid exercises to do before the draft... nvm before FA even, but it still irked me a little

I don't give anybody the benefit of the doubt. Nick obviously freaked us all out with his first press conference, but I saw enough good things over the course of the season to build faith in him. Gannon did jack squat to give me faith. He looked good against bad QB's that I expected us to look great against, and terrible against above average or better QB's. Dude also lied about building the scheme around the players and just ended up being another force the square peg into my scheme defensive coordinator that you can find anywhere. Only saving grace was that he wasn't Gym Shorts stupid with his CB alignments, but he's just as vanilla and predictable.

53 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I don't give anybody the benefit of the doubt.

What I mean by that isn't that you should just have blind faith that they'll get better, but this might've been the youngest and most inexperienced NFL coaching staff of all time. I think they deserve a little bit of a leash to see how they develop.

People love to scream about Jim Johnson from the mountaintops and I wasn't an Eagles fan for the early Reid/Johnson, but his numbers his first year were NOT great and he had already had 4 previous years of experience as a DC including two in the NFL with the Colts. Jim Johnson would probably get killed in todays NFL with his blitz heavy stuff unless he had great personnel. We saw that with the Ravens and Martindale when he didn't have the great outside press corners. I think the league is trending more in the way of Gannon and those defenses that play a lot of 2 high. Not saying that doesn't mean the defense doesn't need more creativity or blitzing when it calls for it, but the league is trending away from the blitz.

Jim Johnson would probably get killed in todays NFL with his blitz heavy stuff unless he had great personnel. We saw that with the Ravens and Martindale when he didn't have the great outside press corners.

That was the two things a JJ Defense always had though, Great CB, Great DL that created pressure and I'm sure having a HOF Safety was probably the biggest factor if being completely honest.

Personnel matters. I'm not suggesting JJ could turn water into wine 2021 Eagles defense into a top 5 but his scheme demanded certain types of players. Players Banner, Howie and Reid were willing to go get no matter what.

Not sure what type of "players" Gannon needs for his scheme TBH? I sure as hell Hope Howie and Nick know going into this FA and draft, that's for sure!!

20 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Jim Johnson would probably get killed in todays NFL with his blitz heavy stuff unless he had great personnel. We saw that with the Ravens and Martindale when he didn't have the great outside press corners.

That was the two things a JJ Defense always had though, Great CB, Great DL that created pressure and I'm sure having a HOF Safety was probably the biggest factor if being completely honest.

Personnel matters. I'm not suggesting JJ could turn water into wine 2021 Eagles defense into a top 5 but his scheme demanded certain types of players. Players Banner, Howie and Reid were willing to go get no matter what.

Not sure what type of "players" Gannon needs for his scheme TBH? I sure as hell Hope Howie and Nick know going into this FA and draft, that's for sure!!

Yeah, I just checked football reference and in his first year as Eagles DC he had Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor as the starting corners. Brian Dawkins and Tim Hauck. Only name that isn’t great is Hauck, but he helped us win a SB under Pederson as safeties coach, so let me put some respect on his name. He had a second year Jeremiah Trotter at MLB. I can’t comment as accurately about the DL, but I think it’s probably fair to say Gannon had more talent there than Johnson in their first year, but that’s the only group I would give Gannon the edge.

Personnel definitely matters and plays a huge role. Obviously good game plans and in-game adjustments can go a long way in overcoming personnel deficiencies, but only so much.

The only thing that kinda stinks about having to go out and get the types of players that fit what Gannon wants to do like they did for Johnson is that he was a MUCH older coach and probably never had any desire to move on to a HC job if one came along. We’ve already seen Gannon after his first year with a meh defense jump at the first opportunity for HC interviews. I’m not knocking him, but the first good season he has here is almost certainly the last season he has as our DC. That’s why I wouldn’t have minded if he got a HC job and we hired an older established DC that would be here for the long haul with Nick. I really do wonder if Gannon would’ve got hired away this year what we would have done at DC. I forget which Eagles pod I was listening to this week, but they seemed to think we probably would’ve gone with an internal hire (Dennard Wilson?) over a Fangio or someone like that.

14 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

In 2021 Wink sent blitzers at the QB about 200 less times than in 2020. So maybe the Ravens didn't get killed blitzing, they got killed because they couldn't afford to blitz. I think we're saying the same thing though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Some Hassan Reddick speculation out there. Don’t know that’s he’s a good fit but I’d like to see the Eagle try. Not sure if he could be a down lineman. 

He would play the Avery role as a SAM backer but then can actually line up at DE too. I’m in 

35 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

He would play the Avery role as a SAM backer but then can actually line up at DE too. I’m in 

Yeah like what we thought they would do with Kerrigan but actually be good. Think Anthony Barr could be an add too in that spot. He knows some of the staff, Zimmer is gone so he might leave Minnesota this time.

There is a lot of those kinda tweener dudes in the draft. 

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Some Hassan Reddick speculation out there. Don’t know that’s he’s a good fit but I’d like to see the Eagle try. Not sure if he could be a down lineman. 

BGN coming out with an article saying we should take a look at Reddick is now "speculation"?