Canada has to go...

mwalker

He'll get another year. He basically, at least according to reports, left the passing game as is from last year (huge mistake, but probably not his decision). You are kind of disadvantaged if you can't implement your full scheme, and he didn't have much to work with. The excuses are there, they won't go one and done with him.

The story of this team on offense all year was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. There aint much talent to work with, but they were stronger at the skill positions. They lacked the talent up front to do what they wanted to do, but kept trying to do it anyway. Every single game. Small ball and a ground and pound offense out of the shotgun wasn't going to cut it. It's odd that they didn't trust the OL to throw the ball down field, but thought it was just swell to come into games and try to impose their will with the run game. I'm not going to say it, but I'm going to say it...it starts with the head guy (if not even the owner). That's what he wanted.

Besides, if Canada sucks, all the better. The team is going nowhere in the AFC until they find a QB.

The Steelers do not have a coherent plan when building their offense. They have drafted from the outside in, but have tried to shift to a ball control offense predicated on smash mouth football and throws within two yards of the LOS. Compare this to a team like NE. They don't go into games hoping to do things that they're players aren't capable of. They recognize what they're players can do (and have identified players who can do those things in the acquisition stages) and then try to play to their strengths. They run the ball well because they have the talent and scheme to do so. Not just a want-to.

Edited by CKSteeler

I understand that Canada wants to run RPO and you need extremely mobile QB to do that....so this year that means I saw things offensively that made no sense..I saw QB stiff in mind and body trying to convince a Defense he might just run for 20 yards this time although he has never ever.... A veteran QB looking undecided and confused like he never has before...even when he was a rookie. I get it... That being said.. Canada's play calling looks horrible when things are going right plus I can't respect any coach who can't adapt to his personell's strengths... willfully or unwillingly.... I understand this team likes to give staff the room to make decisions and that is encouraged throughout..I'm glad ...but we have to make a decision here first. 

1. Canada is a RPO fanatic... And that's ok because it is the future...a few years ago a guy like Kyler Murray would be picked in the 3rd to 5th round if lucky based on size alone...game is changing...mahomes beat us in the air and on the ground..a spy was needed at all times... If we are going rpo Canada...we need that type of QB and we can't be afraid to go get them... Rather that's Wilson, Watson, or Willis or Ridder or Ealy in the draft... I prefer Malik or Ridder or Ealy...or perhaps we wait another year. 

2. The chiefs recognized their OLine was the problem and went out to get Orlando Brown. Now....we must do the same.. we definitely need to get some big Free Agents for the OLine. Armstead, Scrief...etc..

If Canada was there for last year's draft, I would guess he wants a wide zone style ( based on drafting Moore and Green).  If he was not there, then we will see this year as he gets to buy some groceries for the meal.

Edited by jebrick

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If Canada was there for last year's draft, I would guess he wants a zone style ( based on drafting Moore and Green).  If he was not there, then we will see this year as he gets to buy some groceries for the meal.

Then Harris (despite how much I like him) makes no sense. He’s not an RPO type back. He’s an inside power zone runner. 

• Like 1

But Harris ran some RPO in Bama but he is not a 1 cut runner.  I do not think he has the vision but YMMV.  I think the 1st round pick is mostly Tomlin's pick.  At least that seems how it appears for 15 years.  I would hope that all the coaches talk so Canada can say what style he wants.

Canada was promoted Jan. 2021 to OC.

But it would also bring up if he can properly judge the college players to get what he wants.  He must be able to tell the scouts what he wants so they can find the players.

Edited by jebrick