Mister S.Tuitt

mwalker

This has to be one of most strange situations I've seen.

He was such an important part of the defensive equation and no one
ever really clarified what the hell was going on.

Is he back next year? Could he ever be the same player if he was?
Super weird one. He has elite talent when he's healthy.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Not weird at all. His mind and soul was damaged due to the tragic loss of his brother. There is no certain amount of time one should grieve or be able to fully return to their normal life after losing a loved one.

While I agree, he needs to walk away from the game if he doesn't feel he can committ to football anymore.   I wouldn't blame him for it....but I will blame him if decides to come back, but doesn't give it his all.

• Like 2

I've been under the impression that he isn't going to come back to football, just been too quite on that front all season. Sucks for us but if his hearts not in it then he should do what's best for him. I hope in his time off he's healed and comes back stronger than ever, I just don't think that's the case. If he has a strong support system and is doing well that is enough for me, football be damned. 

If Tuitt is done with football, he should have retired before the start of the season instead of stealing $15 million from his employer. But the employer was stupid enough to put up with it, so hey...

Tuitt has the luxury to mourn for as long as he wants because he gets to be a professional athlete for a living and has largely been paid based on potential rather than actual production. Normal people don't get to spend a year wallowing after a tragedy. They have to get up and go on with their lives. Does that sound heartless to some? Sure. But that's reality. I aint even mad at Tuitt. I'm mad at the team that allowed him to do it after paying him handsomely despite his unreliability from a health standpoint throughout his career.

It doesn't hurt that I preferred the team keep other guys on the front 7 over Tuitt, particularly Hargrave.

Edited by CKSteeler

3 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

It doesn't hurt that I preferred the team keep other guys on the front 7 over Tuitt, particularly Hargrave.

Yes, pat yourself on the back because the guy suffered a major family tragedy 4 years after signing his contract, and over a full year after Hargrave left, and just ignore that he played at a borderline elite level at many points prior to that, including the 2020 season before his injury.

And youre the same clown that throws hissy fits because some Steeler fans see Ben for the limp armed, washed up, drunken cheeseburger eater he is and want him gone, and you endlessly make excuses for him....but Tuitt loses his brother in a hit and run, and all you can do is find a pathetic way to say "told ya so"?

Ill leave it at that.

This will be my last post to you.    No point in continuing to bicker with someone who clearly has zero self awareness, logic or common sense.

• Like 1

To be clear, I wasn't offering a criticism of Tuitt.

I think the Steelers stood by his decision and I commend them for supporting the human being, not just the player.
But what was weird was how little it was discussed, in my opinion. Maybe it's just that and he's not sure what he wants to do,
but I would assume that comes to some sort of conclusion this off season - and when it does, it will have 
some important implications on the roster/needs, etc. But the info was hazy - is it the injury, is it grieving, etc.

7 hours ago, 43M said:
12 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Yes, pat yourself on the back because the guy suffered a major family tragedy 4 years after signing his contract, and over a full year after Hargrave left, and just ignore that he played at a borderline elite level at many points prior to that, including the 2020 season before his injury.

You can't place a player on IR because he's grieving. So, yea, Tuitt claimed an injury in camp and throughout the season. The guy has played up to his potential exactly one season out of seven. He has missed almost the entirety of two seasons now of his current contract and was basically useless down the stretch in 2014.

So yea...I'll stand by what I said. They paid him based on potential, he hasn't lived up to it. Javon Hargrave was the more reliable player when they let him walk. Remains the more reliable player today.

Edited by CKSteeler
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 4:16 AM, CKSteeler said:

You can't place a player on IR because he's grieving. So, yea, Tuitt claimed an injury in camp and throughout the season. The guy has played up to his potential exactly one season out of seven. He has missed almost the entirety of two seasons now of his current contract and was basically useless down the stretch in 2014.

So yea...I'll stand by what I said. They paid him based on potential, he hasn't lived up to it. Javon Hargrave was the more reliable player when they let him walk. Remains the more reliable player today.

Yeah, this isn't true is it? He didn't just claim an injury and get put on IR. He had surgery and got placed on IR, a surgery that can take very differing amounts of time to recover from.

As someone who lost a family member young in a tragic car accident, using Tuitts loss in that way and disparaging mental health is quite disturbing.  And honestly I feel quite disgusted having to even read it and hope it can stop. @MOSteelers56

2 hours ago, BradfordSteeler said:

Yeah, this isn't true is it? He didn't just claim an injury and get put on IR. He had surgery and got placed on IR, a surgery that can take very differing amounts of time to recover from.

Yes. He did have surgery.  And honestly he could have had struggles in rehabbing from the injury.  There's some interesting research out there on the impact that mental health can have in physical recovery from surgery.  For my job I've been reading up on this research, and it's quite interesting that when you have depression and mental health issues often times the body doesn't respond to physical training.  Wouldn't be all that shocking to learn Tuitt had multiple setbacks while rehabbing from a surgery that could have had an impact on his availability this year.

Additionally, for Tuitt as a person, I would rather he miss a year of his career to mentally take care of himself.  As much as we look at players as something like a part, he's still a human who's allowed to have his own recovery time.  I can only talk to my personal experience by my "mental recovery" to losses were: Cousin (15) about 18 months (I was 12), Poppop (82) about a week (17), aunt (61) about a week, dad (61) about 5 years (28), Nana (92) about 5 months (33).  Yes some of these were age related.  Some of them were relation related.  But no one knows what that recovery looks like.

• Like 2

I could be wrong but I think that his contract basically makes it so that he is going to be on the roster this upcoming seafor this upcoming season in my opinion is let that be the case do not touch his contract at all do not restructure it or anything and if he does not stay healthy again then next off season you you just cut ties