Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

3 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Its not a popular opinion. But my #1 wish this offseason is to trade Kirk for a good draft pick & sign a veteran. But lately ive been thinking, wait till the 2nd round and take one of the guys that slips. Use Howell for this example. Take Howell in the 2nd, have him & Mond compete for the job. If neither are no where close, then turn to the vet. If they do start and look good, then great. If they are bad all season, then we likely wont win many games. Which is even better, because then we have a real shot at Stroud or Bryce Young the following year. Which would be very exciting. So right now, thats where im at. If they love Willis, Corral, or Strong in round 1 then im on board. If not get a guy like Howell or Zappe in the 2nd and see what you have. AND if they dont like this class this year, then id even be find letting Mond compete with a veteran. The whole point is to be ready to compete in 2023 with a young/rookie scale QB contract OR have a legit chance at a franchise changing elite QB prospect. 

I proposed the same thought on Mond. For the long term QB situation do we want to win many games next year?

....just a question.

6 minutes ago, Hagar said:

I proposed the same thought on Mond. For the long term QB situation do we want to win many games next year?

....just a question.

To be honest, id be 100% fine with winning 2-3 games next year if it means we get an elite QB prospect. 

The Kansas City Chiefs went 12-4 the season before they traded up to get Mahomes.

The Buffalo Bills went 9-7 the season before they drafted Josh Allen.

The Houston Texans went 9-7 the season before they drafted Deshaun Watson.

You don't need to fall apart to get an "elite QB prospect."  All you have to do is identify one you want and go get it. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The Kansas City Chiefs went 12-4 the season before they traded up to get Mahomes.

You don't need to fall apart to get an "elite QB prospect."  All you have to do is identify one you want and go get it. 

Do you have a list of teams with those records that missed out on their top choice, or tried to trade up but didn't? 

47 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Nobody said fall apart. But start the young guys and see what you have to build on moving forward. If you suck, then you get an early pick. But if you keep Kirk, go 9-8 and end up with the 16th pick then you have to trade the farm to get up for your guy. OR a team holding the top picks likely wont trade the pick if if its a good enough prospect. Then you get your 2nd or 3rd choice, all because you won 9 games for nothing playing some guys that dont have a future with the team. Not to mention, those guys werent exactly flawless prospects either. They all had big questions coming out, mostly Allen. 

My thing is. Play a young QB this year and whatever happens, happens. 

8 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Nobody said fall apart. But start the young guys and see what you have to build on moving forward. If you suck, then you get an early pick. But if you keep Kirk, go 9-8 and end up with the 16th pick then you have to trade the farm to get up for your guy. OR a team holding the top picks likely wont trade the pick if if its a good enough prospect. Then you get your 2nd or 3rd choice, all because you won 9 games for nothing playing some guys that dont have a future with the team. Not to mention, those guys werent exactly flawless prospects either. They all had big questions coming out, mostly Allen. 

My thing is. Play a young QB this year and whatever happens, happens. 

Plenty of biased scenarios to get rid of a QB who performed well, largely based on emotion, or a perception that QBs in their 30s will decline rapidly in performance.

New GM Adofo-Mensah is highly analytic and already realizes the obvious and critical problems to be solved are mainly on the defense; DL, LB & DB.  If he didn't, he wouldn't have gotten past his 1st interview.

The O needs upgrades on IOL and TE.

STs are good, but camp competition is needed for all spots except KR.

11 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Its not a popular opinion. But my #1 wish this offseason is to trade Kirk for a good draft pick & sign a veteran. But lately ive been thinking, wait till the 2nd round and take one of the guys that slips. Use Howell for this example. Take Howell in the 2nd, have him & Mond compete for the job. If neither are no where close, then turn to the vet. If they do start and look good, then great. If they are bad all season, then we likely wont win many games. Which is even better, because then we have a real shot at Stroud or Bryce Young the following year. Which would be very exciting. So right now, thats where im at. If they love Willis, Corral, or Strong in round 1 then im on board. If not get a guy like Howell or Zappe in the 2nd and see what you have. AND if they dont like this class this year, then id even be find letting Mond compete with a veteran. The whole point is to be ready to compete in 2023 with a young/rookie scale QB contract OR have a legit chance at a franchise changing elite QB prospect. 

You didn't mention Pickett. Do you not see him as a 1-2 round QB, or that he'll go too high in the draft for us to go get him?

One thing, just looking at resent history…. We probably aren’t going to “find” a second round QB. Typically they are all just the guys that are even bigger projects than the first round guys and usually don’t pan out. 

recent history:

Kyle Trask, Jalen Hurts, Drew Lock, Christian Hackenburg, DeShone Kizer, Geno Smith, Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Brock O.

could argue Jimmy G found success but is he better than even a Cousins? It took him a while to get to this point. Past his rookie contract.

Jalen Hurts is such an unknown. His passing is terrible but his fantasy football points lead to people to think otherwise. 

Derek Carr was never great on his rookie contracts.

Now in a bad QB draft, I just don’t see too many teams hitting on a star in the 2nd round. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

One thing, just looking at resent history…. We probably aren’t going to “find” a second round QB. Typically they are all just the guys that are even bigger projects than the first round guys and usually don’t pan out. 

recent history:

Kyle Trask, Jalen Hurts, Drew Lock, Christian Hackenburg, DeShone Kizer, Geno Smith, Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Brock O.

could argue Jimmy G found success but is he better than even a Cousins? It took him a while to get to this point. Past his rookie contract.

Jalen Hurts is such an unknown. His passing is terrible but his fantasy football points lead to people to think otherwise. 

Derek Carr was never great on his rookie contracts.

Now in a bad QB draft, I just don’t see too many teams hitting on a star in the 2nd round. 

I agree. A QB in round two is basically throwing a draft pick away. I only want a QB if they are a legit first round talent. We’ve seen QBs across round one become successful franchise starters. That just isn’t the case in round two and especially round three, unless height is an issue (Russell Wilson and Drew Brees) but that seems like a once in a decade proposition. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree. A QB in round two is basically throwing a draft pick away. I only want a QB if they are a legit first round talent. We’ve seen QBs across round one become successful franchise starters. That just isn’t the case in round two and especially round three, unless height is an issue (Russell Wilson and Drew Brees) but that seems like a once in a decade proposition. 

Hey, we could have a hand size issue with Kenny Pickett! 

33 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't recall him being a fumble issue like Daunte Culpepper was.

Hand size isn’t really a factor with fumbling. More an issue with velocity. And the NFL ball is bigger than the collegiate ball, so what he’s done in college isn’t a great barometer. That’s why the Senior Bowl will offer a good insight into how he’ll handle the new ball. 

• Like 1

My ideal scenario is to extend Cousins through 2024 with an out after 2023. Identify his successor next year or the year after, then let them sit behind him for a season. 

In a perfect world, I'd select a 1st/2nd round QB pretty much every other year to keep those rookie contracts going (unless you find your Brady/Manning/Mahomes). While I understand that the success rate of 2nd round QBs isn't great, a solid one on a rookie contract can be as valuable as an very good/excellent veteran on a bloated contract. Which is kind of the situation we presently find ourselves in. 

As I've stated before, there is a price where Kirk Cousins makes this team a Super Bowl contender. The new GM will have to find that price and hope Cousins will agree to it. 

On 1/29/2022 at 8:11 AM, SteelKing728 said:

You didn't mention Pickett. Do you not see him as a 1-2 round QB, or that he'll go too high in the draft for us to go get him?

Im still skeptical of Pickett. I have him as a 1st round pick, but i think he will end up dropping. Right now id say he is a late 1st-early 2nd round type guy with less upside than the other guys. 

But there is some concern about his hand size & arm talent in general. Id take Corral & Willis before him. Maybe even Howell. 

Edited by Eric dunn
  • Like 1