Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

15 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Neither does assuming another team is going to throw a boatload of picks at us because they view Kirk as the answer when our own team doesn't...yet here we are. 

The Lions didn’t see Stafford as the answer either. The situations are similar. But I generally agree that a trade is unlikely since MN is closer to competing than Detroit was when Stafford was traded. 

14 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Pretty clear to me that Schefter was provided information to send out to the league right after the Pro Bowl, which basically said KOC is looking forward to working with Cousins and its one of the reasons he came to minny. 

Thats an obviously sign that Minny is telling the league “if you want cousins, you need to offer a great package, (but please send us a good package because we actually do want to trade him)”

This is where I'm at as well.

15 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Pretty clear to me that Schefter was provided information to send out to the league right after the Pro Bowl, which basically said KOC is looking forward to working with Cousins and its one of the reasons he came to minny. 

Thats an obviously sign that Minny is telling the league “if you want cousins, you need to offer a great package, (but please send us a good package because we actually do want to trade him)”

Let's unpack this:

KOC is looking forward to working with Cousins and it's one of the reasons he took the job. 

Doesn't seem like a good move by the front office to trade away one of the reasons the new coach came. 

This is a good example of people reading what they want into a statement which says the opposite. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Lions didn’t see Stafford as the answer either. The situations are similar. But I generally agree that a trade is unlikely since MN is closer to competing than Detroit was when Stafford was traded. 

Stafford sought to be traded. Kirk has not. 

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Let's unpack this:

KOC is looking forward to working with Cousins and it's one of the reasons he took the job. 

Doesn't seem like a good move by the front office to trade away one of the reasons the new coach came. 

This is a good example of people reading what they want into a statement which says the opposite. 

I think the disconnect here is that you are taking whatever they say publicly at 100% face value. Of course they are not coming out and say "yeah...we're gunna trade him. K/O worked with him in Wash and Kirk won't be able to do the things asked of him in K/O's offense".

You put out a statement like that and his trade value tanks. 

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Let's unpack this:

Sure. 
Who do you think provided this information?

Think of the timing. It could have been done last week, it could have been done when the Vikings formally introduce KOC to the cameras after the superbowl. It could have been done before the Pro Bowl. It was released after, so that the information has maximum decemination ability, because Cousins maximum trade value is right now. 

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Sure. 
Who do you think provided this information?

Think of the timing. It could have been done last week, it could have been done when the Vikings formally introduce KOC to the cameras after the superbowl. It could have been done before the Pro Bowl. It was released after, so that the information has maximum decemination ability, because Cousins maximum trade value is right now. 

There are pretty clearly two camps among Vikings fans and the back and forth is not going to change anyone's opinions. We'll just have to wait a few weeks and see what happens. If Kirk is the Vikings QB in 2022, I will root as hard as I have been for him to be great and the Vikings win. If he is traded, I hope Kwesi gets decent value and the rebuild can finally begin.

We'll know in the next few weeks. I imagine they'll want a resolution sooner rather then later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

I think the disconnect here is that you are taking whatever they say publicly at 100% face value. Of course they are not coming out and say "yeah...we're gunna trade him. K/O worked with him in Wash and Kirk won't be able to do the things asked of him in K/O's offense".

You put out a statement like that and his trade value tanks. 

I think you're taking a statement made publicly and attributing far more to it than is there. Negotiations at this level aren't done through reporters. If a team wants Cousins, they will call and inquire. They will make an offer and we will say yes or no. Or we will say "this is our asking price, take it or leave it" and discussions will progress from there. It's no secret to the league that we have a decision to make on Cousins. No need to be coy in the media. There are only 32 guys in the club, and they all talk. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I think you're taking a statement made publicly and attributing far more to it than is there. Negotiations at this level aren't done through reporters. If a team wants Cousins, they will call and inquire. They will make an offer and we will say yes or no. Or we will say "this is our asking price, take it or leave it" and discussions will progress from there. It's no secret to the league that we have a decision to make on Cousins. No need to be coy in the media. There are only 32 guys in the club, and they all talk. 

i wasn't the one that brought up the schefter statement. There are clearly two camps to Cousins and each side is dug in. There's not changing anyone's minds anymore.

If that information was meant to reassure fans that we got a good HC for Cousins, it would have come out a) right when KOC was the speculated new HC or b) when KOC is introduced at his press conference. 

the fact that it comes out right after the Pro Bowl, means it more likely was targeted information for non-SB particpant Team management to think about the information and speak to KAM.